Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

good morning. My 99 996 has developed sticky radio knobs. Its almost like they have a glue on them that stays tacky all the time. My question is has anyone else had this problem and how to fix or can the knobs be replaced without removing the radio?

Thanks in advance

• Admin

The knobs can not be replaced by themselves. Some MY99 cars had the radio buttons "peel". The original buttons had stick on markings so they started to peel after some time of use. Dealers replaced the radio with an exchange or new unit when the cars were under warranty (including mine). You can try to get your dealer to do the same - but out of warranty would be purely a courtesy.

• Upvote 1

The knobs can not be replaced by themselves. Some MY99 cars had the radio buttons "peel". The original buttons had stick on markings so they started to peel after some time of use. Dealers replaced the radio with an exchange or new unit when the cars were under warranty (including mine). You can try to get your dealer to do the same - but out of warranty would be purely a courtesy.

I have had mine replaced twice, first by the dealer secondly by myself. I just contacted the distributor of the radio and they did a mail order for me. I'm in Australia, would think you could do the same in the USA.

My first set peeled, second set became sticky, easy to take them off, just lever gently around the edges.

Mine is a 99C2

See the following page.  Becker has them for $.20 each from their site.   http://www.beckerautosound.com/

I just purchased a set of nobs from Becker and they are only $.20 each with a minimum purchase of $5, plus s+h. I bought 4 for $5.80. Pretty good buy and well worth it. I hated those nobs on humid days.

The Australian Becker agent charges around A$9.00 per piece, about US$7.00, wish I had bought from the US, even with postage it would have been cheaper.

I am interested in 2 knobs for my CDR-220 ( C2 1999). If there is someone that has to buy more that 2 knobs ( minimum quantity purchase as mentioned above). I am happy to buy them from you. Send me an email hroussar@yahoo.com and we can finalize.

Thanks

HarryR

• 1 month later...

I had the same in my 1999 radio. According to the Becker US person I spoke with, the only solution is to get a new face plate. I didn't ask the price, but figure it wouldn't be worth it.

If you go forth, and get a price, let us know. Thanks

• 4 years later...

Update for Becker CDR23 and CDR220 Radio Knobs:

Becker contacts:

website (same)- http://www.beckerautosound.com/

website part listing - http://www.beckerautosound.com/parts/index_porsche.html

phone 201-773-0978

fax 201-961-1936

email - parts@beckerautosound.com

Becker part number = 1285.815, price $12.40 each

Porsche part number = 996-645-901-00, price $25.65 each (local dealer)

• Upvote 1

Update for Becker CDR23 and CDR220 Radio Knobs:

Becker contacts:

website (same)- http://www.beckerautosound.com/

website part listing - http://www.beckeraut...ex_porsche.html

phone 201-773-0978

fax 201-961-1936

email - parts@beckerautosound.com

Becker part number = 1285.815, price $12.40 each

Porsche part number = 996-645-901-00, price $25.65 each (local dealer)

read on some post about fix for knobs instead of buying new- get some black plastic dip from hardware store used to dip tools, etc. take off knobs and

clean them well, make holder out of popsicle or other type stick and suspend knob just to end in plastic for a few seconds- let it dry- worked like a champ

on my knobs.

Edited by bgrpph

read on some post about fix for knobs instead of buying new- get some black plastic dip from hardware store used to dip tools, etc. take off knobs and clean them well, make holder out of popsicle or other type stick and suspend knob just to end in plastic for a few seconds- let it dry- worked like a champ on my knobs.

Another quick fix I have done for sticky rubber radio knobs is to pull off the knobs, clean them with gentle soap and water, and let them dry completely. Then, I tossed them in a bag with a little talc (a.k.a. talcum powder or baby powder) and shook the bag to coat evenly. I then brushed off the excess with a soft brush and reinstalled. The talc sticks to the knobs and gives them a matte black finish, but not sticky. The matte black look is very different, but it works fine. Seems to hold up well.

I have an 03 C4S. CDR 23 (i did not double check)

my problem is that whenever i turn the knob to turn up the volume it turns the volume down instead. if i do it slowly it raises the volume.

if i replace the knobs will this fix the problem? same thing for the second knob when changing tracks....

Thanks

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just a price update, at least for an '05 Boxster, from beckerautosound.com, they're now $24.99 plus S&H. (Somebody has a nice profit margin.) Does anyone out there have a connection to wholesalers?

• 2 months later...

I second the earlier post. My CDR-220 has the same volume issue. When I turn the volume up it goes up very slowly. When I turn it down it tends to keep going up louder and louder. I cant even turn it on now because it is so loud. Can they be cleaned with electronic cleaner IE potentiometer cleaner? I have the sticky knobs too, but I can deal with that but the radio is useless now becaue it is so loud. Will a reset of the radio at the battery cause the volume to go back to a normal level? at least that would allow me to listen to it at a low level until I can figure this out.

Thanks

I considered buying them from Becker - pretty pricey. (price is per knob)

Came across a DYI for coating the knobs with plastic and decided to give it a try - total cost ~ $6.50 - no brainer at that price.

Result is excellent - like new knobs - I am german and very picky.

Here is the link: http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Fix_Sticky_Radio_Buttons.html

• Thanks 1

Today I found an easy way to refurbish your sticky radio knobs. Remove them and wash them down with acetone. Acetone dissolves the sticky gunk and does not damage the plastic knob. You may need to use an old toothbrush to get in the grooves around the perimeter. The knobs look like new after this process.