Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I noticed my B&M short shifter was making a slight noise going from 4-3 or 2-3, in fact a couple of times at the track it didn't want to go from 4-3 like it was sticking on something. long story short, after removal of the console I found the plastic cable connector , where it attaches to the bottom of the shift handle, was catching or binding up on the plastic base of the shifter housing. Mind you it was very variable, only catching about every 10th shift attempt. To be on the safe side I took it out- for the time being- and replaced the stock shifter with some Evo needle bearings I had, no more binding. Actually this setup feels pretty good, just too long...

Anyone else ever note anything strange like this??

• Moderators

I have seen beat up cable connectors as they are made of plastic. But not your problem. On the next B&M shift install I will have to measure to see if the connector sits lower in the shift tower. I think it must since when we do this on a Boxster there is a green plastic plate just below the connector on a 5 speed, and we are told to remove it, I asume for clearance reasons.

Got to love Porsche plastic.

shift_part.sized.jpg

The floor of this shift tower I worked on was cut out - but it had nothing to do with a B&M. Jeff

new_pictures_from_camera_143.sized.jpg

Everything seemed like it was connected correctly, it's real puzzling why it binds up, it's hard to really appreciate unless the console is off. One thing for sure, it's not binding at all with the stock unit re-installed. Kind of bums me out as I really like the feel of the B&M, but I can't have it binding up on certain shifts, that's unacceptable. I may try and re-install everything this weekend, I have it down to a thirty minute job... :D

• 4 years later...
Boxster there is a green plastic plate just below the connector on a 5 speed, and we are told to remove it, I asume for clearance reasons.

Is this green part easy to identify?

Any other peculiarity I need to be aware of? I am doing the instal on my 01 Boxster (5 speed)?

Thanks,

Gus

• Admin
Boxster there is a green plastic plate just below the connector on a 5 speed, and we are told to remove it, I asume for clearance reasons.

Any other peculiarity I need to be aware of? I am doing the instal on my 01 Boxster (5 speed)?

Thanks,

Gus

Yes, it will be the only green part you see (unless you find a very old french fry ;) )

Neither Tool Pants nor I have ever been able to figure out why some cars have it and some don't - and what it used for (other than keeping french frys and the like out of the shifter).

Thanks,

Gus

Yes, it will be the only green part you see (unless you find a very old french fry ;) )

Neither Tool Pants nor I have ever been able to figure out why some cars have it and some don't - and what it used for (other than keeping french frys and the like out of the shifter).

HAHAHAHHAHA....

Thanks, Loren

Will give this thing a try.

Best,

Gus