Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Air intake Vertex - Schnell

Folks, I received the Vertex - Schnell air intake for my C2 . I installed it in 15 minutes( which also included the time it took to find a screw driver and reading the instructions). I will let you'all know what I think of it in a few days. I have a 200 miles trip tomorrow.

HarryR

post-1096-1128385594_thumb.jpg

I bought this product about a month ago (on ebay) and can say that as far as performance it did very little to nothing to help top end, 0-60 etc... To the ears it does sound better with the additional intake noise so I would say I do like this product but for what you get it is overpriced in my opinion. Would agree very quick and easy to install, 10-20 minutes is about right for most people.

• 3 months later...

Harry,

I note that there is a small cap on your airbox (which is part of the Schnell kit) does this allow you to remove the 'muffler' within the airbox to free up more space within or do you simply place the lid on the existing opening, still keeping the muffler within the airbox in-situ?

The fabspeed kit (I think from memory) allows complete removal of the internal 'muffler - resonance cavity' from within the airbox and it also allows removal of the intake air pre-screening mesh mounted before the MAF sensor - This may aid airflow to some degree and increase performance of the intake somewhat.

I have actually performed a similiar mod to the Schnell setup but it only cost me $2. I purchased a conical rubber 'Bung' which just squeezes into the opening where the small lid of the Schnell kit fits - This ends up plugging up the opening to the 'resonant muffler' chamber rendering it innefective.. I then fitted the existing original intake hose back over this now 'plugged' opening. I get the intake noise but no performance increase but it only cost me $2 :D

Edited by ZX7R

The Schnell cap does cover the existing muffler, so you keep the muffler in place. Their rationale is to prevent damaging backfires blowouts of the airbox (I had contacted Vertex to ask them about it). The Fabspeed kit removes the muffler and replaces it with a cap. I read on the PCA website that the pre-996 engines can backfire and cause major damage to the airbox, but not the 996. I have the Schnell cap on and have found the cap off the muffler after "spirited driving". Not sure if it was backfire or not since I was going fast on a track with the helmet on.

Regardless, this is what I did a while ago for the Schnell to remove the cap that covers the small muffler:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...6422&hl=schnell

It is a low cost alternative if you want to try it, the intake sound level is slightly louder without it, specially when the engine is warm.

Izzy

Izzy, good mod - Next time I'm in the hardware shop I will check out their plumbing hardware for a similar setup to what you have done.

As far as the screen is concerned - On my 03/04 996 I actually have 2 screens - A plastic one then a metal one just after the plastic one just before the MAF sensor.

Did you just remove the plastic screen?

Edited by ZX7R

I did remove the coarse plastic screen and left the finer metal in place. The plastic screen solid area, when added up, would seem to create a big restrictor to air flow. I am sure is there for a reason, but besides keeping wallabys from entering the engine, not sure what it would be.

FWIW - I just had a quick look at the Fabspeed site (wrt to their version of the air intake) and they now have the following text highlighted in red added to the air intake section:

"Please Discard All Info you have on the Screen inside the Airbox. It should NOT be removed & all info on the Screen has been Discontinued!!!"

They do not say why though?

Whatever you do , DO NOT REMOVE the screen in the air box outlet .

It measures air flow and basically tells the computer how much gas to inject for the correct air/fuel mixture .

Btw : I am selling a fabspeed "cold air kit" for $ 175 (save $50 )

I used it for only a few days, so it's as new.

If interested ,send me an e-mail

stumberger_r@msn

• Admin

It measures air flow and basically tells the computer how much gas to inject for the correct air/fuel mixture .

I don't think so...

Both of my screens have been out for four years now. No MAF problems, no CELs, no performance issues.

I don't think so...

Both of my screens have been out for four years now. No MAF problems, no CELs, no performance issues.

Thank you for the info.

I stated what I was told by Fabspeed when I purchased their cold air kit.

Which brings me to the next question . Since it obviously restricts the air flow,

why was it installed in the first place ?

In my 997 S , it actually looks more like an egg crate than a screen per se.

Could it's purpose be to straighten the air flow or reduce air turbulence since it is located

just upstream of the air flow measuring device ?

I suspect it is in there for two reasons (on my '04 996).

The first screen which is just plastic - I suspect is there only to protect any further components from damage from foreign objects (not sure how these would get past the air filter though - maybe if the air filter disintegrated over time....?)

The second screen which is a fine metal mesh is probably in place to modify the airflow somewhat - I do not have any experience in laminar flow etc so someone else should comment here...

• 3 months later...

Has anyone with a Schnell cold air kit lost the red cap and black caps yet? I had some times found the cap on top of the air box, like it was blown out. But when I did an oil change this weekend, the caps are gone, not to be found.

I do some "spirited" driving earlier, but have not looked in the engine bay for a while, so not sure when it blew. I will contact Vertex see if they can get me a replacement. But I am concerned as to why it would happen. I still have the resonator muffler in the air box, so no air can enter through.

Izzy

Zokie, I have the Schnell, cost me $99 at Ebay. It really is $99 for the silicone hose, which is expensive anyway. The Fabspeed removes the resonator and replaces it with a cap, using the same screws as the resonator. Have never seen one live, though.

I did the same with the Schnell and added a pvc threaded cap and rubber gasket where the resonator goes, thinking the same effect, more airflow. Now here is the interesting part (experiment).

I take a certain drive on Sunday morning, before 7 am, in a highway ramp that, once you are in it, there are no ins/outs for about 1 mile. So I feel safe going fast when there are no cars. This past weekend, did the same drive with the resonator removed, and I was surprised past 130 mph how much more room I had to go. Same conditions otherwise, full tank of gas, 58 degrees air temp, and just me driving. Not sure if I attribute the higher speed to removing the resonator from the air box, but it was the only change that I can recognized.

I did not feel any other changes while accelerating, but I do know by some points in the straight ramp how fast I have gone, pedal to the metal. This time, after reaching 130, lets say I went much further than that and had room to continue before self preservation kicked in.

I know the HP increases claimed by most of these devices are a figment of their marketing department imaginations. But I think of an engine as an air pump, air in, air out. So perhaps I had not maximized my intake since I placed the GHL high flow muffles a few months ago.

Heading to the track this weekend, will let you know of any other "feels". But at least at high speeds, I did notice a change, much faster for the same distance.

Izzy

Fabspeed kit no longer removes resonater - kit now contains a Silicone tube + red plastic cap + sticker for $229, making it the same as the $99 Schnell kit.

The original Fabspeed kit removed the internal muffler / resonance cavity from within the air box and mesh screen before the MAF sensor with a “muffler block off elimination plate.”

Since installing the new Fabspeed kit, I have been debating doing the same modification you've done but since the airbox is capped off, I don't know what it would accomplish, other then increasing post filtered air volume.

I'd like to know why Fabspeed changed their kit.

• 4 years later...

Izzy

Fabspeed kit no longer removes resonater - kit now contains a Silicone tube + red plastic cap + sticker for $229, making it the same as the $99 Schnell kit.

The original Fabspeed kit removed the internal muffler / resonance cavity from within the air box and mesh screen before the MAF sensor with a “muffler block off elimination plate.”

Since installing the new Fabspeed kit, I have been debating doing the same modification you've done but since the airbox is capped off, I don't know what it would accomplish, other then increasing post filtered air volume.

I'd like to know why Fabspeed changed their kit.

I just got the Schnell CAI kit + BMC air filter for my '99 996.

When i installed the kit I noted that muffler box inside the airbox and it stands to reason that it gives air coming through the far side of the filter a significant obstacle to run around, and it seems like it'd be a freer path for incoming air if it wasn't there. Has there been any more thought on pros and cons of getting rid of the resonator/muffler box and capping the hole since this thread was last active? I can't seem to find any recent info.

Thanks!