Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2200 rpm rattle

Hi All

Have a new 2005 boxster S with about 4500 miles on it. I have the 2200rpm rattle same as many of you. Can't say that I will live with this very long. Took it into the shop today after at least 4 other tries on this. Several months ago, took a tech out and he heard it. Went back another time and he did not work there anymore. Today, I took out another tech and he heard it. I told him about this website. If anyone has sucessfully fixed this problem, please let me know. This problem occurs when the engine is cold and is warming up into the 125 range. Then it starts passing through the 2200rpm range. After warming to normal temp, this problem is not heard. I hear it behind me somewhere. This is a awesome vehicle except for this. Any help is appreciated.

Joe Nyack NY (jna)

• Moderators

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...=8103&hl=rattle

The best info is on these UK boards, but you may not be able to see the links if you are not registered.

http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?showto...47entry193447

http://www.porscheclubgbforum.com/tm.asp?m=159406

The UK people say Porsche issued a TSB last year then revoked it, and there is supposed to be a new TSB that was issued this month. I have not seen the TSB, so I will have to ask one of the mechanics for a copy as I assume something has been released for the US market. You might ask your dealer about such a TSB.

HI, I have a similar problem, when my car is cold and i start driving for the first 3 minutes, at exactly 3,000 rpm's i get a loud metalic noise from the right side of the car (in the right side vent), sounds exactly at 3,000, if you go 200 rpm below or above it will stop doing it.

Just sharing my experience.

Hope you (we) solve it.

Just had the mod applied to my 2005 Boxster, took about 30mins and the rattles gone. Mine used to manifest itself at exactly 2100 revs when engine was just warm.

David, can you tell us exactly what they did and is there a TSB out there for this yet that the rest of us can refer to when we call our dealers? Thanks!

Sorry not sure what they did, the TSB came out about 4 weeks ago and my dealer The Porsche Centre in Colchester (UK) had been waiting for the TSB as they had a few cars with same fault.

Although they did stress that this was not something that would damage the engine and was simply the oil pressure relief valve. Whatever they did it was minor as it only took 30 mins while I waited.

:oops:

However I have trying it out over past day or so and its still there but much much quieter, I have to turn off the radio to hear it now. Personally I think its ok now as its so quiet and I have been reassured that its just the oil pressure relief valve working so not life threatening to engine.

Edited by Davidwf

Sorry not sure what they did, the TSB came out about 4 weeks ago and my dealer The Porsche Centre in Colchester (UK) had been waiting for the TSB as they had a few cars with same fault.

Although they did stress that this was not something that would damage the engine and was simply the oil pressure relief valve. Whatever they did it was minor as it only took 30 mins while I waited.

:oops:

However I have trying it out over past day or so and its still there but much much quieter, I have to turn off the radio to hear it now. Personally I think its ok now as its so quiet and I have been reassured that its just the oil pressure relief valve working so not life threatening to engine.

Good to know! I'll still take mine in and have it listened to soon. If you are right, it's not a damaging problem but worth looking into.

• Moderators

I obtained a copy of the TSBs dated Feb. 27, 2006, for the 2.7/3.2 987, and the Cayman (987). The TSBs are identical. Since I am in the US I have what was issued by Porsche Cars North America, Inc.

Porsche calls it a " Screeching Noise From The Engine During Warm-up" at about 2,000 rpm. The control piston in the oil pump cover is to be replaced with a new design, for engines made as of December 5, 2005.

The mechanics did not have this part out of the engine on a 987, so they took one out on a 986 for my sample pictures. Takes longer to get the car on the lift then it does to replace this "piston", which I would call a valve, which is at the end of the spring in my second pic.

post-4-1141687876_thumb.jpg

post-4-1141687938_thumb.jpg

I obtained a copy of the TSBs dated Feb. 27, 2006, for the 2.7/3.2 987, and the Cayman (987). The TSBs are identical. Since I am in the US I have what was issued by Porsche Cars North America, Inc.

Porsche calls it a " Screeching Noise From The Engine During Warm-up" at about 2,000 rpm. The control piston in the oil pump cover is to be replaced with a new design, for engines made as of December 5, 2005.

The mechanics did not have this part out of the engine on a 987, so they took one out on a 986 for my sample pictures. Takes longer to get the car on the lift then it does to replace this "piston", which I would call a valve, which is at the end of the spring in my second pic.

Tool Pants, what's the TSB number so we can refer to it when calling our dealers? thanks!

Tool Pants, what's the TSB number so we can refer to it when calling our dealers? thanks!

Never mind, just called my dealer and for those who want to know, the TSB # is ENU1726. Scheduled my visit for this Friday 3/10.

cute!!

I knew parents would ship their kids off to the United States for a better opportunity than their homeland could offer them any way they could, but stashing them behind the dash is getting out of control!

:clapping:

The control piston for this TSB is backordered until early April - very few parts in the USA at this moment. Get on a list at your dealer if you want it.
My dealer ordered parts yesterday after i showed them the Porsche NA TSB. They were unaware of it.

On another note, they installed new exhaust clamps and added a tool for manual top control that was missing from the original kit.

• Admin
How does one know the engine's build date to know if this TSB applies to them? Thanks!
The TSB says the new control spring is "as of":

Engines manufactured since December 5, 2005 as of engine numbers:

M96.25 61 6 04763

M96.26 62 6 03668

The date is not that important (except that if your car was built before that date it couldn't have the new control spring). If your engine number is below the engine numbers above (depending on model) -- then you need the new control spring.

• 2 weeks later...

Want to thank all of you !! Rattle fixed and GONE! Did the repair yesterday and from cold to warming up, there is no more rattle at 2100rpm's The part that was replaced (warranty work) was

997-107-125-01 Oil Pump Piston (Oil relief valve)

I am totally happy.

Thanks again for this forum and all the people who responded!

Joe Alessi Nyack NY

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Y'know..I told my dealer about this oil pump piston thing and they said that the 2100 RPM noise I was hearing was NOT related to that. Instead, they told me it was something to do with the air injection pump and that all boxsters seem to make that noise, that 986's did it too.

I don't think they know what they're talking about.