Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Window issues...

Rom

Hi all,

Before I start troubleshooting this myself, I wanted to know if anyone else had come across this (i.e. is it a known Boxster issue)... Basically, my drivers side window has stopped dropping as much as it used to when opening the door (it used to drop about 10mm). It still looks like it moves a little, but not as much as it used to - so it gets caught on the convertable top seal when opening and closing the door! Everything else works perfectly. I can move the windows up and down all the way, and the window still drops about 3 inches when you unlock the top. The passenger side window still works fine in all respects (still drops 10mm or so when the door handle is pulled).

I'll probably start by resetting the windows (disconnect battery, etc), but I don't have the code for my radio so I'll probably just pull the fuses. Can anyone confirm that this has the same effect as disconnecting the battery so I can reset the end-stop position? Don't know if that will fix it though (considering nothing has been reset, and it still moves a *little* when you pull the door handle). Alternatively I'm thinking that it could be the switch in the door handle. I don't think the mechanism or control modules are defective as everything else still works...

Any other suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

Shash

Try resetting the 'anti-pinch' feature by pressing to close the window, then when fully closed (with door shut) press and hold the window switch to close again and hold for at least 1 second.

If that fails, to check the door handle microswitches are working, gently pull the handle (try both outer and inner handles) until you her the microswitch click. If the interior light comes on at this poit, the microswitches are OK.

Okay, looks like it's probably a mechanical issue, so I'm going to take the door apart at the weekend. As I mentioned previously, when opening the door the glass moves a little. So after opening the door I tried pushing it down a little - and it actually moved down to where it needs to be (normally you can't move the glass at all by hand). When I close the door, the window does move back up too. So it looks like, for some reason, the mechanism cannot move the glass down the 10mm, but it does try. Oddly enough, the glass moves up and down just fine with the button. It almost feels like a tooth has broken off a cog giving the glass a little play - although that should be apparent *all* the time.

Anyway, I'll know more when I take it apart...

Thanks!

Shash

The usual cause of a window drop problem when opening the door is the regulator. It is a know 996/986 issue.

The window drop when you unlatch to the top is really not related.

Yea, I went over to my local Porsche dealer yesterday to get my radio code (which they did quickly, and for free!), and I mentioned in passing about the window issue. First thing he said was that it was probably the regulator (a job they wanted $700+ to do!). Kinda weird that it actually moves at all though... Anyway, I'll know for sure soon when I get around to looking at it this weekend!

Thanks!

Shash

• 3 months later...

Did you ever get your window fixed? I'm having this problem with my passenger window, now, and I'm off to the dealership today to see if they can take a look at it. I'm picking up some parts I ordered, and would be curious to know how your situation worked out. I'm assuming this would be covered under warranty.

Hi,

I figured out what the problem was. Inside the motor assembly there is a rubber bush. Somehow this managed to get worn so that there was some play (this is why the window moves a little by hand). The bush is not available and a new motor assembly is required. You don't need a new regulator, but if yours is covered under warranty you might as well get both replaced!

See here for more details:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=8317

I actually ended up fabricating a part to replace the bush, and it worked fine for a while, but now its starting to do the same thing again (because the part I made wasn't strong enough). I could re-do it with a proper piece of rubber, but I might just get the replacement motor - depends how much time I have and if I can source some rubber of the right thickness and compliance.

Thanks!

Shash

Oh, one other thing - it seems that the service people in dealerships will automatically assume that it's the regulator. I took mine to the dealer (I was there picking some other stuff up and thought I'd ask for the heck of it) and he barely looked at it, and started saying that it's a common regulator problem. In this case it was not the regulator though (and they wanted to charge me $700+ to "fix" it).

Without examining your vehicle I can't tell you if it's the same problem, but if it is, then it's most definitely not a regulator issue.

Thanks!

Shash

Edited by Rom

I took my car to the dealer this weekend to have a window problem diagnosed (confirmed). When the passenger window i goes up there is a sharp "crack" sound as it stops. As I had suspected they confirmed it was the regulator and have ordered a new one (under warranty). I don't know if this symptom is true in all cases but, if it helps, a broken regulator in my case was fairly obvious.

My car is a 2003 Boxster S by the way.

Chris.

The dealer didn't have time to look at it today (I had to make an appt. for the 30th), but they didn't think it was the regulator. They pushed down on the window with the door open and the window went down to the right height (at least until the door was shut & opened again). That's why they didn't think it was the regulator - but I'm not sure why they think that.

I took my car to the dealer this weekend to have a window problem diagnosed (confirmed). When the passenger window i goes up there is a sharp "crack" sound as it stops.

My car is a 2003 Boxster S by the way.

Chris.

My 03 does the same thing on the passenger side (US.) Guess I'll have to add that to the warranty complaint list. What I hate is that everytime I bring it in for one problem, it comes back with two! If it wasn't under warranty, I would fix it myself.

• 1 month later...

I took my '03 (still under warranty thru March) in with the same problem on the driver's side. They replaced the "window motor" with 996-624-101-03 yesterday. The window dropped correctly when opening and closing the door. Today I went to put the top down. The driver's side window didn't go down when I unlocked the top.

When I took it back today, they checked it out and are ordering another motor.

Is there a different window motor for coupes and soft tops?

I took my '03 (still under warranty thru March) in with the same problem on the driver's side. They replaced the "window motor" with 996-624-101-03 yesterday. The window dropped correctly when opening and closing the door. Today I went to put the top down. The driver's side window didn't go down when I unlocked the top.

When I took it back today, they checked it out and are ordering another motor.

Is there a different window motor for coupes and soft tops?

Um, the Boxster only comes in soft top... Unless you're comparing with the 911(996)?

Thanks!

S.

Hi,

I figured out what the problem was. Inside the motor assembly there is a rubber bush. Somehow this managed to get worn so that there was some play (this is why the window moves a little by hand). The bush is not available and a new motor assembly is required. You don't need a new regulator, but if yours is covered under warranty you might as well get both replaced!

See here for more details:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=8317

I actually ended up fabricating a part to replace the bush, and it worked fine for a while, but now its starting to do the same thing again (because the part I made wasn't strong enough). I could re-do it with a proper piece of rubber, but I might just get the replacement motor - depends how much time I have and if I can source some rubber of the right thickness and compliance.

Thanks!

Shash

Oh, one other thing - it seems that the service people in dealerships will automatically assume that it's the regulator. I took mine to the dealer (I was there picking some other stuff up and thought I'd ask for the heck of it) and he barely looked at it, and started saying that it's a common regulator problem. In this case it was not the regulator though (and they wanted to charge me $700+ to "fix" it).

Without examining your vehicle I can't tell you if it's the same problem, but if it is, then it's most definitely not a regulator issue.

Thanks!

Shash

I am having the exact same problem on my 2000 Boxster S. How did you resolve this issue? Did you buy a new motor or were you able to find just the bushing? Thanks in Advance

Window just does not drop enough when trying to open the door. I have heard many reasons as to why and how this may occur with no real conclusive results. The microswitches are working (the window jiggles down when you engage the microswitch without opening the door and goes up when you release the handle), the window works under normal switch opeation, the window can be pushed down to correct positon to close door and once shut the window moves up. - Help Please!!!

Edited by no_substitute