Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster Top Won't Operate

I have a 2000 Boxster and cannot get the top to work. I checked the fuse and it was not blown. Any help? Does anyone know which relay it is? I wanted to check the switch function by putting a multi meter on the fuse and see if it get power when I push the switch.

I have a 2000 Boxster and cannot get the top to work. I checked the fuse and it was not blown. Any help? Does anyone know which relay it is? I wanted to check the switch function by putting a multi meter on the fuse and see if it get power when I push the switch.

Is it completely not working? Can you hear motor or anything broke? Have you check micro switches just behind your seat?

Is it completely not working? Can you hear motor or anything broke? Have you check micro switches just behind your seat?

Thanks for responding. Yes, I unlatch the roof, push the switch and the windows go down, but the top motor does not come on. I checked the B6 fuse and the fuse was good. I checked the voltage at the fuse and with the ignition switch on, I get 12v constant. I unplugged the double relay and plugged it back in, but nothing changed. I just downloaded the relay trouble shooting guide and will try that next.

Thanks for responding. Yes, I unlatch the roof, push the switch and the windows go down, but the top motor does not come on. I checked the B6 fuse and the fuse was good. I checked the voltage at the fuse and with the ignition switch on, I get 12v constant. I unplugged the double relay and plugged it back in, but nothing changed. I just downloaded the relay trouble shooting guide and will try that next.

May be this will help.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5543

• 2 months later...

Actually this is a common issue on all Boxsters, and hopefully your roof problem relates to this one in particular.. so the thing is roof,... operates only when handbrake "on" (and your handbrake light will display on your dashboard) if it doesnt, it means your handbrake "switch" is 1. unplugged 2. damaged. (its usually unpluged due to use or hard pulling of the handbrake)

take the left panel of your handbrake dash, then the top hood and check it out, just plug it back, its pretty simple.

i hope this helps.

Edited by mathos

• 2 months later...

2001 Boxster S

Having the same problem as of this morning (no indication, just stopped working in the down position).

Did you find the solution?????

MATHOS,

Can you elaborate on "then the top hood and check it out" ? I am new to 1) this car, and 2) to mechanics in general (although inclined). Do you mean the top covering of the handbrake housing? Unscrew the ashtray and such,?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Edited by por986

• Moderators

The most common problem is that the handbrake switch starts to act up.

Pull up on the handbrake. Start the car. Is the handbrake warning light on? If it is not on then push the button on the end of the handbrake lever and pump the lever up and down a bunch of times while the engine is still running to see if you can get the warning light to come on. The lever is attached to the switch and sometimes pumping the lever up and down makes the switch work.

You need to rule out the switch first.

Next, try the micro switches for the top latch. When you latch the top the hook pushes against a pair microswitches. One switch is is for the window drop and the other for the top operation. Turn on the key with the handbrake up. Stick your finger in the hole for the latch and push your finger in and out to work the switches, at the same time you push on the top switch.

Next is the top relay/control unit. Pull it out and give it a few taps, then stick it back in. If you can find another car try the relay from that car in your car. The relay on a 1997-1999 is different than 2000-2004.

Some 2000s came from the factory with a defective relay, but most have been replaced by now. Just in case, pull out the relay and see if there is a black dot on the base where the pins are.

First, sorry if am hijacking this thread... tell me if it is inappropriate, and I will start a new one!

Tool Pants,

Yes, sure enough my brake indicator light does not come on when the handbrake is applied. So, after I get away from this desk (1hr or so), I will try to get the light to come on as you suggested.

Sorry for the ignorance, but where is the relay/control unit?

FYI: No fuses are blown. Just to make sure, I pulled every one! :-\

Edited by por986

I'm at the same place with my 1999. Switches, relay, handbreak all ok... still stuck in down position. Posted for a referral to someone to fix but got no response (Tool Pants??). Now I'm told by a mechanic that he must run a 3 hour diagnostic test to find problem. Manually putting the top up and down reminds me of my old convertible D, but the rattle from the loose reds and blacks with the top up is maddening.

Still need help, please?

painless

TOOL PANTS, YOU THA MAN!

Thanks for the help, for now, that has saved me $$ and I don't have to worry about the rain!... it turned out to be the handle. I raised and lowered it about 20 times, some with aggression, and the Brake light displayed finally. Once displayed, the top worked.... However it is still intermittent. I look like I am having a convulsion when I want to lower or raise the roof! LOL

My fear now is that it will stop all together.. where should I look to fix the connection/contacts? Take the handbrake housing off and ..?

• Moderators

You need to replace the switch for the parking brake. Remove the center console like you were going to put in a short shift. Search around for the B&M short shift install which shows how to remove the console.

The switch is white with a black plunger on the top. When the brake lever goes up and down so does the plunger. You can see 2 switches in the picture as I was getting ready to swap the old with the new switch.

Strange for your 2001 since Porsche started using the "improved" switch in July 17, 2000 for cars sold as model year 2001, unless you have an early 2001.

post-4-1159984232_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

I do not know what is the problem with your top operation. I have not dealt with electrical issues, mostly mechanical.

If you and Mark can come by my office in San Jose then we can take a look at our car. Mark knows much more than me about the top operation.

• Moderators

Not far from the San Jose Arena, or whatever it is called these days. You can also see Peter Smith at Rector if it is something not easy to figure out. He and other mechanics taught me what little I know.

If you have a bad top motor I have in the back of my mind that Mark may have an extra one, but you will have to check with him.

You need to replace the switch for the parking brake. Remove the center console like you were going to put in a short shift. Search around for the B&M short shift install which shows how to remove the console.

The switch is white with a black plunger on the top. When the brake lever goes up and down so does the plunger. You can see 2 switches in the picture as I was getting ready to swap the old with the new switch.

Strange for your 2001 since Porsche started using the "improved" switch in July 17, 2000 for cars sold as model year 2001, unless you have an early 2001.

Nice, thanks a lot man! I really appreciate your time in helping me. Something so simple can turn so expensive if you are clueless!!!

I wish anyone else luck in fixing their problem. I am sure with time I will be posting for help again, and hopefully knowledgeable people will be as generous! _ and someday I can help others in return!!

Edited by por986

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 years later...
  • 5 years later...

Hey, sorry to revive such an old thread, but it's still one of Google's top hits and it was one of the threads that helped me get mine sorted (after pulling info from several sources). I made a fairly comprehensive troubleshooting DIY video as I went through all the advice on what to look for and just wanted to share it here as it's sure to help someone along the way! Thanks to all those that went before me and offered solid advice!

Edited by Loren
Made video viewable here

• 1 year later...

I just bought a 2000 with 40k yesterday. Dealer states top worked fine and even had pics of top up and down. It came with factory hard top and was obviously installed when I drove and took word that top worked - my fault, but saw pics and just trusted. Took hard top off today and the top will not go up. I can here motor “clunk” when switch pushed but top and body piece not moving and motor not making any attempt to run. Will not make sound when pull relay, put brake off, etc., so making me think it’s the motor itself. Any ideas?

Tried to put in service mode so I can check MAF and TB, hard starts - which is weird as started fine last 2 days of looking at it- and on way home today threw 1130 and 1143 codes. 

• 10 months later...
On 1/15/2022 at 5:47 PM, Michael Harper said:

I just bought a 2000 with 40k yesterday. Dealer states top worked fine and even had pics of top up and down. It came with factory hard top and was obviously installed when I drove and took word that top worked - my fault, but saw pics and just trusted. Took hard top off today and the top will not go up. I can here motor “clunk” when switch pushed but top and body piece not moving and motor not making any attempt to run. Will not make sound when pull relay, put brake off, etc., so making me think it’s the motor itself. Any ideas?

Tried to put in service mode so I can check MAF and TB, hard starts - which is weird as started fine last 2 days of looking at it- and on way home today threw 1130 and 1143 codes. 

What did you find out about your top? Mine is acting the same way.