Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Windshield area noise

Hi all,

I can hear a rattle noise on the windshield area of my 996TT MY03 when driving at very low speed on bad roads. This noise is present, for example, on a macadamed street, or when I pass over a sound band.

I've tried to isolate it, and it seems that this noise is coming from the windshield area, not from the dashboard itself.

Curiously, when I wash the car, the noise is gone for about a a quarter, so may be this noise is related to the external windshield seal or frame. I think that on wet condition, this rubbers seems to be more elastic or slidable...

I've see the TSB 6420 "Noises at the Windshield and Rear window": this document explains how to place a foam cord in the gap between the body and the trim frame.

Anyone has used it ? Any other solution to similar issues ?

TIA.

Edited by Bel Masetto

Since no one has replied I will give you my experience with a 2003 TT. I had a squeak on both sides of the dashboard at the windshield. After a lot of of trial and error, I found that the speaker screws were squeaking in their housings. A little soap on the threads fixed the problem. Also I cut out rings of paper to fit underneath the edges of the speakers to keep the plastic from rubbing against the dash. The noises are gone. I hope that this helps. Good Luck.

Beecher, thanks for the reply.

I've considered speakers and other elements, but the fact that this noise disappears when I wash the car seems to focus it on the windshield area.

The foam cord is very cheap, so I'll try it.

Thanks again.

• 4 years later...

Solved !

Foam cord works. The noise is gone.

Hi Bel. I know this was a 4 years old topic but I have exact the same problem as yours at the moment and after cleaning the noise went away for an hour or so and then it came back.

I try to look at the gap to see where and how to squeeze the rubber cord in and the side and top of the windshield seems reasonable side but I just cant see how I am gona get it into the bottom part of the windshield as it is so tight. Could you please advice how you manage to do it and get it squeeze through the bottom rubber seal?

I am thinking of getting some rubber cord from this website and give it a go but not sure which type and diameter size to go for. It would be great if you could shed some light on this. http://www.polymax.co.uk/Catalogue%20Product%20Pages/03%20Rubber%20Cords.htm

Thanks Loren but where could I find this product as I tried to search through the net and there isn't any.

Your local Porsche OPC or Carnewal.com in Belgium would be the best chances.

Thanks! Will have a look.

• 4 years later...

Very old thread I know, but still valid.

I got my 996TT 2003 windshield replaced couple of weeks ago by an OPC so I'm pretty confident they used the latest seal. However this rattle, that I thought was coming from the dash appeared right after the change. Of course the OPC's view was that it had nothing to do with the windshield change, but they could open up the dash on my expense if I wanted.

The fact that the rattle went away for few minutes after every wash was the key to find this thread. I ordered the cord from FVD, applied two-fold wherever it would fit and now after a week of driving I can confirm the issue is solved.

• 1 month later...

I too recently acquired a 2003 996TT and have major wind noise above 60 MPH. I see the link to the cord but not sure if I should install inside or outside, I couldn't figure that part out from everyone's conversation.

What is odd is that I noticed it was very quiet following a rain storm that I drove through. After 20 minutes though, wind noise returned as badly as before.

Any insights on if I should try the cord?

• 4 months later...
I bought a 2004 996tt in really nice shape last month and have been taking care of a list of issues with only a few remaining. Car drives awesome and Im real happy with it. I have rear wing issue to fix and this issue...

Im getting a squeaky, creaky noise coming from what seems like the dash area. I searched this and found TSB 6420 (http://rennlist.com/forums/attachments/996-turbo-forum/640721d1339700989-creaking-sound-03-turbo-fixed-tsb-6420.pdf) addressing this calling for a foam cord to be inserted around the outside of the windshield trim. It calls for inserting 2 layers of foam cord. I did one and drove the car and noticed no difference. Maybe Ill do the 2nd layer but it just doesn't seem promising.

Does anyone have any experience with a noise like this coming from the the dash area? The best way I can describe the sound is it sounds like your twisting a piece of Styrofoam in your hands: squeaky/creaky.

Any thoughts???