Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Footwell lighting relays

I'm looking for the part number(s) for the two relays operating the Footwell Lights option, to complete a DIY project on my 2000 Boxster S. Anyone have that OEM option or know what the part no. is?

I don't think you need any relays. Did you see the DIY here?

I'm using the OEM FWL switch (with the "sun" or light icon) that, like all the other switches, is momentary in action, thus it is my understanding that a relay set-up is necessary to keep the lamps lit after activating the switch, and was also included as components of the very expensive OEM option. As an aside, I have looked through the PAG wiring diagrams for Boxsters of years 1999-2001 and have not yet seen ANY mention of footwell lighting, relays, or switching.

Cool. Are you going to do a completely OEM hack, complete with the console switch? That's something I've been thinking seriously about doing.

Charlie, are you formerly of GBBG? As you may have surmised, I am John in NH w/ the Ocean Blue S that accompanied the group on a few tours. If so, a long belated "Hello", and my compliments on the Speed Yellow - - looks like it's a nice ride. SY is a rare, rare siting here in the Northeast, at least amongst the Boxster crowd, especially now that Colin & Loosey moved to California as well.

As far as the hack goes, yes, I am trying to do it up pretty much as OEM, but figuring out the relay situation is challenging. I like having a fully outfitted instrument panel (no dummy blanks), but virtually all the other FWL hacks I've seen have gone the route of connecting FWL with other interior lights - - I'd rather choose when the FWL functions, not have it on everytime a door is opened. I'm getting closer, but not quite there yet.

I'm looking for the part number(s) for the two relays operating the Footwell Lights option, to complete a DIY project on my 2000 Boxster S. Anyone have that OEM option or know what the part no. is?

I once had access to a 996 with the "PAG Exclusive" FWL system and was able to learn a few things about the installation. The light assemblies were mounted near the forward edge of the removable carpeted side panels (see pic.). They had plastic shrouds mounted around them to prevent lamp backscatter. I could see no additional relays mounted on the forward relay panel under the dash. I wasn't allowed to remove any panels, so I have no idea what the FWL switch controlled. I've often wondered if Loren, or Jeff (Tool Pants), with their dealer contacts, would be able to get diagrams of the circuitry.

However, I do think that the secret of PAG's FWL circuit is a REAR WINDOW DEFOGGER RELAY. The relay is perfect for combining several functions in one. It has provisions for accepting PAG's momentary rocker switch inputs. It also provides a dedicated output for the amber LED in the switch. It has an internal timer which resets 12 minutes after turn-on and a power-off reset feature. If you left the car with the FW lights on, they'd be OFF the next time you start the car. I've drawn up a circuit which uses the relay. I'll clean it up and post it when I get some spare time.

The only drawback I find with the relay is the fact that it doesn't provide a grounded output to parallel with the BROWN/YELLOW interior light wiring (from the Alarm CU) for turning on the interior lights (as the PAG installation does). The relay's output is +12v. when used for defogging. So, I decided to add an additional PAG general purpose relay to my circuit to invert the output. If you wanted to control ONLY the footwell light assemblies, the second relay would not be needed.

I also added another feature which I believe the PAG installation has, but which most people would probably not choose to install. I wanted not only the footwell lights to come on when I pressed the switch, but also ALL of the interior lights, including both map lights and the dome light, regardless of where their switches were set. To get this override capability, I added one additional wire, routed to the overhead light assembly, which would connect to 3 isolation diodes on the assembly's PC board.

post-1901-1152485651_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sandy

• 9 months later...