Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

California emmissions warranty

My '01 Boxster S with 40,000 miles is having the secondary air injection malady often mentioned in other posts. It lights up the CEL and shows the P0410 & P1411 DTCs. I looked in the warranty section of my manual and it lists a 7 year/70,000 mile California emissions warranty for listed parts. Unfortunately the secondary air injection components are not specifically listed. Hence my question: since this component is obviously a smog related item, is it covered by this warranty even though it is not on the list? I'd sure like some ammunition before I go nose-to-nose with the Porsche dealer!

• Admin

P0410 Secondary Air Injection System, Bank 1 – Below Limit

P1411 Secondary Air Injection System, Bank 2 – Below Limit

Potential causes:

Secondary air injection pump does not function

Air supply lines restricted

Electric change-over valve does not function

Air change-over valve does not function

Vacuum system leaking

Fault areas to check:

− Wiring harness or fuse

− Relay

− DME control module

− Air supply lines

− Secondary air injection pump

− Electric change-over valve

− Air change-over valve

• Moderators

I have always meant to get to the bottom of what is covered and not.

I have a 1997. My booklet says 7 years but over time it got changed to 8 years.

When my car was due for a smog about 2 weeks before it was 8 years old my DME tested faulty and I had a check engine light. I had 5 other fault codes. But if the DME registers faulty then that must be replaced first as the other 5 fault codes could be corrupted by the bad DME. Got a new DME under the emission warranty. Still had the other fault codes so I replaced an oxygen sensor.

Since my car is so old and I have owned it for 8 years I have a few smog tests done. In the early years that same oxygen sensor had been replaced before - I paid for the first replacement. My air flow sensor was also replaced - I paid for it. In the early years I asked the service guy why these parts were not covered under the emissions warranty. He said it had to do with how much the part costs. If it cost X or less then you pay. If it cost more than X then it is covered by the emission warranty. That is what the service guy told me and I did not know whether or not to believe him.

I never followed up on this. I just paid for the replacement of emission related parts over the years so I could get my smog done. I was a wimp.

Potential causes:

Vacuum system leaking

Fault areas to check:

− Wiring harness or fuse

− Relay

− DME control module

− Air supply lines

− Air change-over valve

Loren, Thanks for the excellent info. I'm still wondering if this is covered by the 7 year/70,000 mile California extended emissions warranty.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

My 10 year old car is now long out of a warranty.

On the smog machine.

This is the latest smog test. There are 5 readiness monitors. I had 4 of the 5 set. Apparently California changed the law in 2003 and you need only 3.

When I got home I hooked up the car to the PST2 and I had ABS speed sensor faults for the front wheels. There were no faults prior to the test. Guess my Box does not like the machine, or maybe the way the guy backed up the car off the dyno after the test.

5 inspections since June 1999. :censored:

post-4-1197082817_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Potential causes:

Vacuum system leaking

Fault areas to check:

− Wiring harness or fuse

− Relay

− DME control module

− Air supply lines

− Air change-over valve

Loren, Thanks for the excellent info. I'm still wondering if this is covered by the 7 year/70,000 mile California extended emissions warranty.

Perhaps - you will need to check with your dealer.