Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 GT3: Replacing front rotors

996 GT3: Replacing front rotors

Instructions for changing the left front rotor: Proceed at your own risk. B) 1. Lift and safely support the vehicle. 2. Remove the left front wheel. 3. Turn the steering wheel to the right to facilitate exposure of the rotor and caliper assembly. 4. Loosen the brake pad retaining bolt (13 mm hex) and depress the retaining flat spring. The 13 mm hex head is on the inside edge of the caliper (not visible in the pic below). Take note that the flat spring is VERY stiff. 5. Remo

Edited by RJFabCab

• 1 year later...

Love this write up. Two questions. Would this apply to a regular 99 996 as well? And, for clarity sake would you draw arrows to steps 3, 4 and 5 in the pic itself? I am mechanically stupid so the greater the specificity the better. Thanks for an excellent write up.

Edited by my996

• 1 month later...

How easily did your rotors come off?? Did they need some gentle persuasion?

When pushing the pistons back to make room for the new (much thicker) pads, did you have enough capacity in your brake fluid reservoir to prevent overflow - or did you bleed a little brake fluid off?

I take it you didn't bother checking run-out of either the hub or the new disc after you put it on.

Is there no loctite needed on the caliper bolts on re-assembly?

• 8 months later...

I agree: Exellent article.

I want to add a few points:

The caliper bolts are 10mm Allen-wrench bolts. A regular hex wrench will not work.

And if you want to torque them when you're done, you'll need a 10mm Allen-socket to use with your torque wrench.

Lastly, I easily removed and then replaced the caliper without removing the brake pads, saving lots of time.

Plus, I rested the calipers on an upside-down bucket, rather than tying them to the suspension.

• 4 months later...