Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Coolant Leak

My 02 2.7L Tiptronic started to leak a lot of coolant on my way home today. Immediately took it to a local shop. The engine temp stays normal, but I could see coolant dripping and smoking & smell coolant. .I did a search here for coolant leaks and seems to be a coolant reservoir leak, but my leak seems to be coming from the center bottom of the engine Not sure of the cap ending # and no coolant around the cap. No coolant in the oil and no CEL (just flashing coolant warning light). Could it be my water pump or a busted hose? Any thoughts? :o

My 02 2.7L Tiptronic started to leak a lot of coolant on my way home today. Immediately took it to a local shop. The engine temp stays normal, but I could see coolant dripping and smoking & smell coolant. .I did a search here for coolant leaks and seems to be a coolant reservoir leak, but my leak seems to be coming from the center bottom of the engine Not sure of the cap ending # and no coolant around the cap. No coolant in the oil and no CEL (just flashing coolant warning light). Could it be my water pump or a busted hose? Any thoughts? :o

if it's coming from the CENTER undre the car, it could be the water pump. remove the hatch in the passenger cabin rear firewall and take a look.

if it's coming from near the right rear tire, it's likely the reservroir.

Got the car back yesterday, it was the water pump. I thought it would last longer than 70K. I didnt change the water pump in my Mercedes till 145K (and it was only showing signs of wear, not failure) One shop quoted $1K, had it towed to another and got it done for $540. Just because you drive a Porsche some shops try to stick it too you. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...
A quick way to know for sure if it's the coolant reservoir, just pull the right side of the trunk liner up. There will be coolant under it if the reservoir is leaking. :cheers:

Cooland Indicator light came on today.

My 2001 Porsche Boxster S is leaking coolant from the right rear wheel well.

I immediatly brought cooland level back to the safe level (one quart). At the same time I noticed the coolant leaking from the right rear wheel well.

Just removed trunk liner and yes there is cooland under the reservoir. I can't seem to tell where it is leaking from though. I started the car and waited until the raidator fan kicked in and still can't seem to see any additional leaks.

Is it possible that the leak was from the blue cap, which I re-tightened after refill? Or there could be some other hidden leak around the reservoir? Any one else seem this problem?

Thanks,

Doug

• 5 weeks later...

I had a strong steady stream of coolant coming from the right rear wheelwell too and some on the top of the overflow bottle. After searching the forums found out that my problem was that the radiator cap wasn't on straight. My 60K service did not live up to its cost so far. Anyway, I bought new Porsche coolant and a new radiator cap even though I already had the updated one-didn't want to take any chances. Filled it up, put on the cap and haven't had this issue occur in the 2500 miles since.

A quick way to know for sure if it's the coolant reservoir, just pull the right side of the trunk liner up. There will be coolant under it if the reservoir is leaking. :cheers:

Cooland Indicator light came on today.

My 2001 Porsche Boxster S is leaking coolant from the right rear wheel well.

I immediatly brought cooland level back to the safe level (one quart). At the same time I noticed the coolant leaking from the right rear wheel well.

Just removed trunk liner and yes there is cooland under the reservoir. I can't seem to tell where it is leaking from though. I started the car and waited until the raidator fan kicked in and still can't seem to see any additional leaks.

Is it possible that the leak was from the blue cap, which I re-tightened after refill? Or there could be some other hidden leak around the reservoir? Any one else seem this problem?

Thanks,

Doug

Sorry, I just saw this post. If the reservoir leaks, it does it from behind where you can't see it. The weak spots are along the back wall of the trunk so you just see coolant and no cracks. If the cap leaks, there's a drain hole that should allow it to drain without getting under the trunk liner. Also, if it leaks from the cap when the engine is hot, you will see a good bit of condensation on the trunk lid above the cap.

• 10 years later...
On 16/09/2006 at 7:48 AM, deliriousga said:

Sorry, I just saw this post. If the reservoir leaks, it does it from behind where you can't see it. The weak spots are along the back wall of the trunk so you just see coolant and no cracks. If the cap leaks, there's a drain hole that should allow it to drain without getting under the trunk liner. Also, if it leaks from the cap when the engine is hot, you will see a good bit of condensation on the trunk lid above the cap.

I seem to be having the symptoms that fit the resevoir diagnosis. Can you tell me what needs to be done to fix the problem.

Thanks.

If you think it's from the cap, put on a new cap.  They are not expensive.

When the rubber seal in the cap fails, or when it has not been tightened, the engine will run at a slightly higher temperature. Coolant will also be lost through the cap seal in the form of steam. As these leaks occur around the cap you will see red deposits left by the evaporating coolant.

It could be coming from the valve head, if the screws are corroded.  See the attached pics.

I can't offer any advice on the replacement of the Boxster reservoir as I am a 996 owner.  I have replaced the reservoir on the 996 as it was leaking and I dropped the engine slightly to give extra space and removed a few other things.   

DSC02499.JPG

DSC02495.JPG

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Moonstruck said:

I seem to be having the symptoms that fit the resevoir diagnosis. Can you tell me what needs to be done to fix the problem.

Thanks.

Welcome to RennTech:welcomeani:

The problems with Boxster coolant tanks is well known and has be covered several times previously, so "search" is your friend on this topic.

If we had a car with a suspected tank leak, our first step would be to run a static pressure test, both to see if the system is loosing pressure, and from where.  If the tank has gone bad, the replacement is fairly straight forward, but is going to take some time (couple of hours) due to the complexity of how it is connected to the system and it's location.  You will also need a set of cable hose clamp pliers as some of the factory clamps are in very restricted positions.

Suggest you buy the replacement tank from a reputable source. There have been a rash of defective coolant tanks from the cheapo sources. The consequences are a big waste of time and materials - at best. And search for the updated coolant tank  cap with part number ending "04".Pelican has a good diy on this

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/33-WATER-Coolant_Tank/33-WATER-Coolant_Tank.htm

Check out Mayhew clamp pliers as suggested by JFP.

Edited by Schnell Gelb

• 2 years later...

just removed my water tank 2002 986 boxster and could not find leak so filled tank, plugged line where coolant line goes to motor from tank and when blowing air with mouth into water filled tank....could see bubbles coming out of release valve seat, so removed eight screws around release valve and  replaced o ring (about 2 inches round), hope it works???  filled tank with water again and blew air into it by mouth and voila!!!! no bubbles....I hope it works , tomorrow im installing it back in the car....

• Moderators
12 hours ago, gnmor@yahoo.com said:

just removed my water tank 2002 986 boxster and could not find leak so filled tank, plugged line where coolant line goes to motor from tank and when blowing air with mouth into water filled tank....could see bubbles coming out of release valve seat, so removed eight screws around release valve and  replaced o ring (about 2 inches round), hope it works???  filled tank with water again and blew air into it by mouth and voila!!!! no bubbles....I hope it works , tomorrow im installing it back in the car....

Just be aware that your system operates at 18 PISG at 210F, conditions that blowing into it can never replicate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I just drove my boxster about 400 miles. I pulled into the garage and when I shut it off, coolant poured out behind the right rear tire.

There were no warning lights and when I was driving, the temp never got over 180.

I added coolant to the reservoir and idled the car. No more coolant came out.

There was no coolant under the trunk liner and no visible moisture in the engine compartment.

Now I am not sure if I should drive it.

Update: I just got the harbor freight pressure test kit. I got it up to 15psi and it held. No leaks in the trunk or on the ground

It makes me think it is the water pump or a hose somewhere after the thermostat.

Any ideas?

When you refilled the reservoir, did you use all the correct equipment and procedure? Probably not. Let's see if the problem recurs.Suggest you carry spare coolant in the trunk and a funnel - it is awkward to refill. Meanwhile suggest you "Search" for the vacuum pump equipment(Airlift or similar) needed for refilling or at least the jack it up at the back method. And learn about 'burping'. Otherwise it may keep on dumping coolant until you refill it correctly YEMV. There are some good YouTube videos on this subject.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Brandon Kirk said:

I just drove my boxster about 400 miles. I pulled into the garage and when I shut it off, coolant poured out behind the right rear tire.

There were no warning lights and when I was driving, the temp never got over 180.

I added coolant to the reservoir and idled the car. No more coolant came out.

There was no coolant under the trunk liner and no visible moisture in the engine compartment.

Now I am not sure if I should drive it.

Update: I just got the harbor freight pressure test kit. I got it up to 15psi and it held. No leaks in the trunk or on the ground

It makes me think it is the water pump or a hose somewhere after the thermostat.

Any ideas?

Check your coolant tank cap, if the last digits are anything other than -04, replace it with a new factory unit.

• 2 years later...
On 4/6/2019 at 10:55 AM, JFP in PA said:

Hey guys, been following this thread here, yes I know it is a couple years old.  I've seem to have run into this issue on my '03 986 S.  Classic coolant behind/around the passenger rear wheel, leaking on the ground and in the trunk though, carpet not wet at all.  I did find the condensation and signs of coolant in the tray around the refill caps there.  Coolant level is non existant in the tank and yesterday what tipped me off was the coolant light.  In any event, since it either is the cap or a cracked reservoir tank, do I play it by a process of elimination and change the cap first, refill with liquid and see if it still leaks or given that a lot of coolant must have leaked (it's all over the place) out given how low it is, assume the reservoir is cracked?  Your help appreciated.  TY  -Max

Just be aware that your system operates at 18 PISG at 210F, conditions that blowing into it can never replicate.

Hi Schnell, thank you for the reply.  I finally got under that trunk lining enough to see that there is absolutely no coolant underneath the liner. Quite strange I guess if this is to be a classic breach of the reservoir tank. Now I'm starting to think that it may not be but obviously all the coolant around the wheel well it's still a classic indicator. Do you think just a bad cap could be the cause of that much coolant around the wheel well and leaking on the floor? Or should I shift to thinking this could be a pump issue?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Max L said:

Hi Schnell, thank you for the reply.  I finally got under that trunk lining enough to see that there is absolutely no coolant underneath the liner. Quite strange I guess if this is to be a classic breach of the reservoir tank. Now I'm starting to think that it may not be but obviously all the coolant around the wheel well it's still a classic indicator. Do you think just a bad cap could be the cause of that much coolant around the wheel well and leaking on the floor? Or should I shift to thinking this could be a pump issue?

If your tank's cap # does not end in -04, replace it with one that does.  DO NOT use aftermarket caps. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators
32 minutes ago, Alan David said:

seems like my tank is leaking.could a crack be repaired with  JBWeld or flex tape?

For about 5 min.  Replace it, and do not use aftermarket parts or you will be doing it again in about six months to a year. 😉