Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

• Admin

The standard brake ducts on a 996 and 997 are the same.

The larger (Motorsport) brake ducts used on the 996 GT3 and 997 GT3 are different.

I do not know if the the 997 GT3 brake ducts will fit on a 997 (until someone tries).

Also realize that the larger ducts are much easier to scrap on driveways and uneven roads.

Hi Loren,

Thank you for the reply. I tried looking thru the

997 PET book and could not find a picture

of the brake duct. I sure would like

to find a picture of this duct. Could you let me

know if there is a site that shows a picture.

Paul

Hi Loren,

The more I look at them, the more I wonder how they

stay on. These things would shred on some of the driveways

I drive on. Do some guys grind the bottoms off

so that they can drive them on city streets? I will

take a closer look at the Porsche racing club cars

the next time I see them.

Paul

Hi Loren,

I checked with Sunset Imports and they gave me a quote for $18.12

each for brake ducts for a 997 S. They think the ducts attach on the lower control

arm. They also told me that I should alredy have them on my car. Can you

give me a picture of what they are trying to sell me?

Thank you,

Paul

The standard brake ducts on a 996 and 997 are the same.

The larger (Motorsport) brake ducts used on the 996 GT3 and 997 GT3 are different.

I do not know if the the 997 GT3 brake ducts will fit on a 997 (until someone tries).

Also realize that the larger ducts are much easier to scrap on driveways and uneven roads.

Just out of curiosity, are the GT3 and the GT3 RS and the GT3 Cup brake ducts all the same size, or are the GT3s bigger than the 996/997 ones but smaller than the RS / Cup car ones? A friend is looking at a new GT3 as his daily driver and I was wondering if he's going to have major problems scraping the bottom of his car just driving to work. I've seen the larger ducts advertised as each of GT3, RS, or Cup, but never looked close enough to tell if they all had the same part numbers or not

• Admin

On the 996 series the GT3 ducts are smaller than the GT3RS.

On the 997 series the GT3 and GT3RS get the same ducts (at this time).

On the 996 GT3 Mk1 (RoW version) the ducts were the same as the production Carrera's.

With the MY04 GT3 (Mk2) the GT3 got the same ducts the (then ) current Cup Cars were using.

When the GT3RS (RoW version) was introduced the ducts got even larger. The Cup Cars for that model year were then even larger.

I don't have a service book for the 997 GT3 Cup Car.

Might be good to get a set of spares - the larger ones will scrape and I've heard of someone knocking one off too.

On the 996 series the GT3 ducts are smaller than the GT3RS.

On the 997 series the GT3 and GT3RS get the same ducts (at this time).

On the 996 GT3 Mk1 (RoW version) the ducts were the same as the production Carrera's.

With the MY04 GT3 (Mk2) the GT3 got the same ducts the (then ) current Cup Cars were using.

When the GT3RS (RoW version) was introduced the ducts got even larger. The Cup Cars for that model year were then even larger.

I don't have a service book for the 997 GT3 Cup Car.

Might be good to get a set of spares - the larger ones will scrape and I've heard of someone knocking one off too.

Last part of the question I forgot to ask: are the Boxster (986) and Carrera (996) ducts the same size, or like so many other things, the Carrera got bigger / better ones?

Hi Loren,

I just had the front wheels off and the lowest brake pad

size was .439". The numbers look good compared

to an original stock pad that I replaced that had a wear down

to a .260". I checked my pads pretty quickly but did not

notice the stock brake duct. I will keep looking for it. I wish

someone would design the GT-3 ducts with the

bottoms ground off.

Paul

• 1 year later...
Hi,

Loren says that there are brake cooling ducts for 997

and GT-3 cars. He says the GT-3 ducts are bigger. I

am thinking that 997 brake ducts would be a cool thing

to add.

Anybody done any shopping for brake ducts?

Paul

My VB guy, Lutzo, recommended the Turbo Brake Ducts and I put these on my 996 track car. They are huge compared to the 996 ducts. He says the Turbo ducts are larger than the 997 but I am not sure about that

post-28515-1220647020_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

At the end of the first DE of the year in my new-to-me 06 C4S Ruf RK my brakes were not effective. One of the mods I made was to have the GT3 ducts installed. They are larger yet you will probably scrape the deflector immediately below the front bumper or the air deflectors in front of the front wheels before scraping the brake ducts. FWIW the other mods were Pagid Blues, which I change out with Factory pads when not at DE, and Motul 600 brake fluid. No fading at all now.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2005 997S and bought the GT3 ducts from Sunset. They fit fine. The challenge is getting the plastic hooks over the lower control arm. It more time to jeck the car and deal with the wheels than it did to install. I found it easier to cut the plastic hooks off the old ducts instead of trying to use a screwdriver to pry them off.

• 7 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I installed the GT3 ducts in my 06 C2S. They are similar in size but a different shape that channels the air more directly. My car didn't have ducts in the rear so I installed the GT3 ducts there as well. The GT2 Ducts are designed to channel even more airflow but they are expensive and require modification to work.

GT3 Front Ducts:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PKGT3FRS.html

Rear Ducts:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK997RBDS.html

GT2 Ducts:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/99634111790AND99634111890.html