Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Moving AC Controls

I have a '02 S and want to move the AC controls to where the cup holders are. I think they are useless for most sized cups and it would be much easier to see the controls up top. Anyone done this? What would be involved and want do I need to get?

Can't seem to find it now, but I did it last fall and posted part numbers. There are several other posts that address one part of the process or another. Search cupholderectomy

It is a pretty straight forward process; and not too expensive, either.

I did this; it's pretty straight forward. I even moved my stereo down to the bottom position (it's rarely used anyway). I also felt the cupholders were a waste of space. Here's a pic of my interior. I'll look up the part numbers when I get a chance. You need a couple of brackets and a new face plate for the climate control. I replaced my CD holder with another storage bin, as well. Handy for phones, etc. I think this cost me all of $10...(plus the cost of the storage bins).

post-10990-1171383875_thumb.jpg

Edited by jmatta

Here is the write-up from PCA Tech...

Question:

I would like to move the a/c unit to the top and place it where the cup holders are.

Is this a problem and where could I find instructions?

Thanks,

Steve

Answer:

Yes, you can move the AC unit back up to the top, where it is normally

located on a vehicle without cupholders. First remove the side cover on

the lower console by pulling the rear of the covers towards the outside of

the car. Pull off the cover of the AC control unit and put to the side.

Unscrew the 4 screws holding the AC unit in and pull towards you. Unplug

the connectors on the rear, they only go into one of the spaces so you

don't have to memorize the locations. Next pull off the switch covers on

either side of the cupholder by using a screwdriver on the bottom of the

holder and pulling to the rear. They should pop off. Now remove the

cupholder cover by popping off the cover from the side and remove the

cupholder assembly by removing the screws holding it in. Now you will

have to fish down to get the harness for the AC head up to the top

location. To install the AC head you will have to buy 2 brackets and a

face plate. The frame is 9965576770001c and the 2 brackets to line up the

AC head are 99657350100. Just install those parts and the AC head should

just slide in the slot, install the screws and the face plate and now have

your AC up top.

Peter Smith - PCA WebSite - 6/3/2002

Edited by jmatta

Here is the write-up from PCA Tech...

Question:

I would like to move the a/c unit to the top and place it where the cup holders are.

Is this a problem and where could I find instructions?

Thanks,

Steve

Answer:

Yes, you can move the AC unit back up to the top, where it is normally

located on a vehicle without cupholders. First remove the side cover on

the lower console by pulling the rear of the covers towards the outside of

the car. Pull off the cover of the AC control unit and put to the side.

Unscrew the 4 screws holding the AC unit in and pull towards you. Unplug

the connectors on the rear, they only go into one of the spaces so you

don't have to memorize the locations. Next pull off the switch covers on

either side of the cupholder by using a screwdriver on the bottom of the

holder and pulling to the rear. They should pop off. Now remove the

cupholder cover by popping off the cover from the side and remove the

cupholder assembly by removing the screws holding it in. Now you will

have to fish down to get the harness for the AC head up to the top

location. To install the AC head you will have to buy 2 brackets and a

face plate. The frame is 9965576770001c and the 2 brackets to line up the

AC head are 99657350100. Just install those parts and the AC head should

just slide in the slot, install the screws and the face plate and now have

your AC up top.

Peter Smith - PCA WebSite - 6/3/2002

THANKS Jmatta!! I emailed that to myself.... now to find the parts, then get them ordered... and get the cubby things for the lower positions.

THANKS Jmatta!! I emailed that to myself.... now to find the parts, then get them ordered... and get the cubby things for the lower positions.

SC986 - I moved the radio down because I didn't like the look of the two storage bins together.

FrayAdjacent986 - The storage bins are parts number 996.552.253.01 Upper 996.552.243.01 Lower. All parts can be ordered through "Pelican Parts" as a special order. Mine only took about 10 days to receive.

Thanks Jmatta... I think I found the bins at Suncoast Porsche Parts... something like $29 for either the pair or each... can't remember. I'll probably do the climate control release sometime in the next couple months, so I jotted down the part numbers. I kinda want to find a somewhat decent cup holder, as I occasionally go pick up lunch when I'm at work. I think ultimatecupholders.com has a decent one that should work well. Thanks again! I cross posted part of the information over on the 986forum, since someone recently asked about doing the same thing.

I have an 04 S in which the AC controls are up top, and I would prefer them to be down below in front of the shifter where I have two cubbies. The PO installed a DVD nav system with a screen that pops out and blocks all the climate controls. Is it possible to do this, and if so what parts do I need? Thanks.

I have an 04 S in which the AC controls are up top, and I would prefer them to be down below in front of the shifter where I have two cubbies. The PO installed a DVD nav system with a screen that pops out and blocks all the climate controls. Is it possible to do this, and if so what parts do I need? Thanks.

If you want, when I move my AC unit, I'll give you the brackets and bezel for it for the very bottom position, if you'd like 'em.

Or another thing you might could do is switch positions of the climate control unit and the stereo/nav unit... but then that might block your AC vents!

Edited by FrayAdjacent986

BTW, all of the buttons on my climate control unit are pretty sticky. I think the PO trusted the cup holders a little too much and spilled something like coke. I can't recall, but isn't there some sort of liquid pressurized electronic switch cleaner stuff that might could be sprayed in there to clean it up, but that will evaporate and not cause a problem?

I figure when I move the unit, I might as well see if I can get the buttons working better. TIA!

That would be great! I'll PM you my details.

Thanks!

If you want, when I move my AC unit, I'll give you the brackets and bezel for it for the very bottom position, if you'd like 'em.

Or another thing you might could do is switch positions of the climate control unit and the stereo/nav unit... but then that might block your AC vents!

The bottom position only requires four mounting screws and a new face plate. You need to fish the harness down from above, but that's about it. I also have the bottom face plate, in perfect condition, if anybody wants it.

FrayAdjacent986: Get yourself some contact cleaner from Home Depot or Radio Shack; that should clean up the sticky mess. Somebody spill that in my car and I would knock them over the head!