Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Who would be up for forming a group like this?

I've been talking to some of the guys in the 928/951 meetups and they expressed an interest in organizing some Work On Your Car Days (WOYCD) in the Rosevile, Rocklin, Sacramento, El Dorado Hills, Elk Grove areas. I've also talked to a couple of the 996 guys and they'd be interested too. I had lunch with Loren today and we talked about what it might take to put something like this together. Loren has done this sort of thing before, so he'd be the one to talk about what would be required...but some of my thoughts are this:

It would require a "volunteer garage" as a central point for folks to assemble at. There would have to be the appropriate tools on hand. All projects would have to employ the best safety procedures...jack stands, hydraulic jacks, etc.The WOYCD projects would have to be those that could be done within a reasonable amount of time and could include such tasks as:

Install a Short Shift Kit

Clean out the front radiators by removing the front bumper

R and R a coolant tank

Clean up the MAF and sensors or throttle body

Loren can run his laptop software against the DME to see what codes have been thrown/reset codes etc.

Brake job

Install a new set of mufflers

Install other mods...

Tasks such as oil changes or radiator flushes would have to have appropriate containers brought by the individual for the person to take the oil or coolant away from the location and dispose of himself. Participants would have to help clean up after the session.

Some folks may just want to show up to shoot the breeze...or watch and see how various tasks are done. I know that one of my main problems is a lack of confidence in my ability to do what amounts to some relatively simple jobs. I also watched Loren take out my wheel well lining when we replaced the fuel door actuator (Loren will be putting out a DIY on this with picrtures)....and to me it was like watching a brain surgeon operate with a sledge hammer. It's painful to watch....but most of the guys who might want to work on their cars are WAY TOO FASTIDIOUS about tearing into them. I have a tendency to ***** foot around a project that needs a strong hand and a fast approach. Some of this is not for the faint of heart :)

At any rate....let's throw this subject out there and see who responds and what sort of interst there is. So that we can get a better idea of interest levels....be sure to include what sort of car you've got, what city you live in, and what sort of task you'd like to take on. Due to time constraints, the WOYCD's are usually held on a weekend.

I hope this starts helps to start us on some fun days where we can meet fellow P-car owners who have a passion for these cars and like to work on them, or just get together to talk about mods. It will also help to form an ad-hoc group of guys who can call each other when looking for local help on a project or special tool they might need.

Regards, Chuck

• 1 month later...

I am definately up for this.... I have already had many a work on car day rebuilding my current Porsche and previously when I was building up my Audi A4. I can also host as well as I have most tools, two jacks, four jack stands, a compressor with air tools, service manual on CD for my 1999 911, etc... Let me know if anything like this comes up.

P.S. I am in Tracy if that matters.

David

I've been talking to some of the guys in the 928/951 meetups and they expressed an interest in organizing some Work On Your Car Days (WOYCD) in the Rosevile, Rocklin, Sacramento, El Dorado Hills, Elk Grove areas. I've also talked to a couple of the 996 guys and they'd be interested too. I had lunch with Loren today and we talked about what it might take to put something like this together. Loren has done this sort of thing before, so he'd be the one to talk about what would be required...but some of my thoughts are this:

It would require a "volunteer garage" as a central point for folks to assemble at. There would have to be the appropriate tools on hand. All projects would have to employ the best safety procedures...jack stands, hydraulic jacks, etc.The WOYCD projects would have to be those that could be done within a reasonable amount of time and could include such tasks as:

Install a Short Shift Kit

Clean out the front radiators by removing the front bumper

R and R a coolant tank

Clean up the MAF and sensors or throttle body

Loren can run his laptop software against the DME to see what codes have been thrown/reset codes etc.

Brake job

Install a new set of mufflers

Install other mods...

Tasks such as oil changes or radiator flushes would have to have appropriate containers brought by the individual for the person to take the oil or coolant away from the location and dispose of himself. Participants would have to help clean up after the session.

Some folks may just want to show up to shoot the breeze...or watch and see how various tasks are done. I know that one of my main problems is a lack of confidence in my ability to do what amounts to some relatively simple jobs. I also watched Loren take out my wheel well lining when we replaced the fuel door actuator (Loren will be putting out a DIY on this with picrtures)....and to me it was like watching a brain surgeon operate with a sledge hammer. It's painful to watch....but most of the guys who might want to work on their cars are WAY TOO FASTIDIOUS about tearing into them. I have a tendency to ***** foot around a project that needs a strong hand and a fast approach. Some of this is not for the faint of heart :)

At any rate....let's throw this subject out there and see who responds and what sort of interst there is. So that we can get a better idea of interest levels....be sure to include what sort of car you've got, what city you live in, and what sort of task you'd like to take on. Due to time constraints, the WOYCD's are usually held on a weekend.

I hope this starts helps to start us on some fun days where we can meet fellow P-car owners who have a passion for these cars and like to work on them, or just get together to talk about mods. It will also help to form an ad-hoc group of guys who can call each other when looking for local help on a project or special tool they might need.

Regards, Chuck

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

New to the forum. We own a 88 cab, and just got a 2000 Boxster S. We live up in El Dorado, about 10 miles west of placerville. I have a nice 30x50 shop with a lift and most every tool.

I would be open to hosting such an event if you all are interested. We kinda live out in the country, nice relaxing place. 30 minutes from the heart of sac and about 17 minutes from folsom.

David

David: That's a wonderful offer you've made. As Loren said, we've been seriously talking about trying to get some locations where we could have Porsche afficianados get together for a DIY day....focusing upon those projects that can reasonably be done within the timeframes of a day. We would have folks like Loren and others who know the cars and know the methodology for doing the mods....floating around helping the guys do the whatever-it-is they want to do.

You have another avid Porsche fan living up in El Dorado with you....his Rennlist ID is Mtfletch....he's a deputy sheriff currently off on IOD....but an avid do-it-yourselfer. He actually took a burned out 99 996 and rebuilt the burned out motor and currently drives it. It's the Vesuvio 996 you might see around El Dorado Hills.

As I said, your offer comes at an absolute ideal time since Loren and I have been kicking this issue around....but the real problem is finding a location that's suited for the projects. I'd like to get together with you over lunch or coffee and discuss this further. You can contact me directly via my email address at fishoncj@aol.com and we can arrange a meet and confer. I'm sure Loren would have all sorts of great ideas since he's done this sort of thing before in the bay area.

Regards,

Chuck

Sounds great...there's nothing like car-bonding via mechanical repair & maintenance. I've have some experience/tools, and just received the 987 Boxster/Cayman workshop manuals on CD. Keep me posted...

• 2 weeks later...

OK guys....we've cleared one of the first hurdles. I met today with David Borden at his house up Hwy 50 above El Dorado Hills. He has a great setup that could accomodate about 6-8 cars in a circular driveway in addition to a very nice formal workshop with a drive-on lift. David has graciously offered the use of his driveway and workshop for a Do-it-Yourself day.

What we need to to now is for me to get together with Loren (he's done this many times before) and get some guidelines set up, then develop a list of folks who would like to tackle some mechanical problem on their own with oversight and supervision present. Dave and Loren are both quite well versed in the How-To of the typical project a guy could do in a couple hours.

In order to orient you folks on where this might take place.....Dave's house is about 42 miles up Hwy 50 from the intersection of Hwy 99 and Hwy 50; so using that major intersection, you should be able to figure out whether you'd want to make the drive or not. Remember....you may not want to actually do a project....you may want to just watch how a guy changes his brake pads....or replaces a coolant tank, or cleans a MAF....so there can be lookie-loos in additon to the DIY folks.

After I have a chance to talk Loren and get a bit more insight into how this all comes together, we'll put out a sign up sheet that will allow you to tell us what sort of car you have and what DIY project you'd like to tackle. In deference to Dave's gracious offer to use his facilities....any oil changes, brake flushes etc would have to be done with appropriate take-away containers so that you don't leave oil for Dave to have to get rid of. We may make arrangements with the local Kragen or other auto store to drop off bulk disposables...something to discuss.

If you folks still have an interest, please respond and give Loren and me an idea of who is interested.

Hopefully this can develop into a more regularly scheduled sort of get-together at different locations. It certainly has the earmarks of a fun sort of day for a bunch of guys who like to do their own work...or learn to do it.

Regards, Chuck