Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

125k miles so far. Daily driver. Runs like a champ. *knock on wood*

*edit* and this is on a 99 C2 non e-gas car with headers and exhaust. Had a few odds and ends to deal with (alternatory kicked off at about 110k miles, coolant hose failed some time ago due to age and water pump died about 100k( IIRC )).

Edited by viper501

78K, doesn't use a drop of oil, which is my yardstick.

This has been done recently here: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...ost&p=64004

I see that but I am trying to see about 3.4's specifically. I am at 75k, and have an odd quick dry tap for the initial burst of start up, and a once and a while knock that is independent, subtle but definately a lower end knock(after 5=days of no start). I don't want to let his car go and well putting $10k into a replacement 3.4 and considering a SC, all falls into the range of a TT or better engine. Besides that I have to keep the faith "knock on wood" that 911's are the gritiest, dirtiest, meanest reliable bang for the buck sports cars on the planet that still look good dressed up.

Oh and I have a little RMS sweat but I do not lose any oil either.

Edited by ViolaGT3

I see that but I am trying to see about 3.4's specifically. I am at 75k, and have an odd quick dry tap for the initial burst of start up, and a once and a while knock that is independent, subtle but definately a lower end knock(after 5=days of no start). I don't want to let his car go and well putting $10k into a replacement 3.4 and considering a SC, all falls into the range of a TT or better engine. Besides that I have to keep the faith "knock on wood" that 911's are the gritiest, dirtiest, meanest reliable bang for the buck sports cars on the planet that still looks good dressed up.

Oh and I have a little RMS sweat but I do not lose any oil either.

99 C2 - 65K miles and still running strong. RMS/clutch replaced at 40K - all the other leaks fixed at that time. Had to replace the water pump at 64.5K

Love the car but getting nervous about long term reliability especially with all the recent posts about engine failures. The resale value is still in the sweet spot so I'm real tempted to get out of it while the getting is good and move back to BMW (just bough the wife a 2008 328i - NICE car). No flames please. :rolleyes:

Love the car but getting nervous about long term reliability especially with all the recent posts about engine failures. The resale value is still in the sweet spot so I'm real tempted to get out of it while the getting is good and move back to BMW (just bough the wife a 2008 328i - NICE car). No flames please. :rolleyes:

Same concern here. I Just love this car full leather full CF, Violet Metallic, Champion tuned suspension+ wheels, full GT3 Aero kit, and well would like to consider all options before I drop $20k into a replacement and a SC. Bimmers are nice, had an 02 M5 loved it, just a little to big for my sporty taste.

Same concern here. I Just love this car full leather full CF, Violet Metallic, Champion tuned suspension+ wheels, full GT3 Aero kit, and well would like to consider all options before I drop $20k into a replacement and a SC. Bimmers are nice, had an 02 M5 loved it, just a little to big for my sporty taste.

:offtopic: I stoppped by the BMW dealer today to return the big bow borrowed to surprise the wife. I took a seat in the new Z4 Coupe - much smaller than an M5! The local paper's auto writer called it the "Cayman killer" at $20K less and 255 HP. I can't believe I can buy a brand new 2007 Z4 for the same price I paid for my 99 C2 three years ago. Humm....

1999 c2 cabriolet, only 45k miles. Needed the cam cover 'gaskets'/sealant reinstalled at about 37k, last year, car was 7 years old at the time. I had just had the annual maintenance performed, then less then five days later the engine was puking oil out the cam covers (the extra oil pressure from new Mobil1 might have contributed to exposing that weakness).

No RMS problems. Had to have the A/C recharged last year. Dealer suggested that I replace the evaporator to stop the leak (which from the dealer is a complete box with the fan and many hours labor), but 14 months later the A/C still runs strong.

:offtopic: I stoppped by the BMW dealer today to return the big bow borrowed to surprise the wife. I took a seat in the new Z4 Coupe - much smaller than an M5! The local paper's auto writer called it the "Cayman killer" at $20K less and 255 HP. I can't believe I can buy a brand new 2007 Z4 for the same price I paid for my 99 C2 three years ago. Humm....

Yea been there done that, it's a nice car and the $50k tag is nice. But it is truely a roadster, 0 trunk space for anything! I couldn't do it.

1999 c2 cabriolet, only 45k miles. Needed the cam cover 'gaskets'/sealant reinstalled at about 37k, last year, car was 7 years old at the time. I had just had the annual maintenance performed, then less then five days later the engine was puking oil out the cam covers (the extra oil pressure from new Mobil1 might have contributed to exposing that weakness).

No RMS problems. Had to have the A/C recharged last year. Dealer suggested that I replace the evaporator to stop the leak (which from the dealer is a complete box with the fan and many hours labor), but 14 months later the A/C still runs strong.

I did the AC this year, sounds like you are doing good.

Someone dropped him on his head as a child :beer:

• 2 weeks later...

Bought my 99 996 cab a year ago with 32k and have it up to 42k...replacing the coolant tank this weekend. Under heavy acceleration I can feel my clutch starting to shudder...dealer quoted me $1800 to replace. Other than that, the engine seems strong but I don't have much experience in them other than the wonderful 10k I have put on mine.

e

Bought my 99 996 cab a year ago with 32k and have it up to 42k...replacing the coolant tank this weekend. Under heavy acceleration I can feel my clutch starting to shudder...dealer quoted me $1800 to replace. Other than that, the engine seems strong but I don't have much experience in them other than the wonderful 10k I have put on mine.

e

Have you brought the shuddering up on here somone might have some insight into this. I am at 75K I believe on the original clutch? Not sure but I believe it to be. All the concerns I have are of odd little quirks and they seem to match others discriptions right before they meet with disaster. I have considered putting a SC on my 99' but well I know I do not want to do it if the engine is not healthy. Right now it drives strong, pulling from 2,300rpm in every gear. But it only takes one mechanical failure to destroy a completely healthy engine. The one thing any mechanical part the world over is guarenteed to do is break. I don't like the thought of "having" to replace the engine, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Thanks for the info, thats a real low miler!

e

Have you brought the shuddering up on here someone might have some insight into this. I am at 75K I believe on the original clutch? Not sure but I believe it to be. All the concerns I have are of odd little quirks and they seem to match others discriptions right before they meet with disaster. I have considered putting a SC on my 99' but well I know I do not want to do it if the engine is not healthy. Right now it drives strong, pulling from 2,300rpm in every gear. But it only takes one mechanical failure to destroy a completely healthy engine. The one thing any mechanical part the world over is guarenteed to do is break. I don't like the thought of "having" to replace the engine, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Thanks for the info, thats a real low miler!

I have not brought it up on the board for a couple reasons.

1. I had an acura legend that I drove until the clutch wouldn't grab any more and this is the exact way it felt prior to it going.

2. When i took it to the dealer to fix the alarm/locks (it was a $5 fuse that cost me $400+, wish i had found this site earlier) they came up with a list of things i should get fixed and that was one of them. They said it was soft and not grabbing until really late...so I am quite sure that it is close to done.

I was really happy finding one with that low of mileage with the options and in the color i wanted...the guy didn't drive it (1000 in the last 3 years...which isnt the best for it either but...) and i got it in the mid $30's. Very happy so far...but looking at 997's. Maybe next year.

How many miles do you have on your original 3.4 liter engine?

My 98 model 996 now has 62klms, or ~36k miles -so its a low mileage car for the age. New clutch, f/wheel, oil seperator, RMS & int. shaft seals/bolts at ~30k miles - end float of crank measured well within the limit at just 0.135mm. This would be helpful I guess if I knew where it started life at.

The engine performs strongly with only a minor tick when warm from right bank - valve hydraulics probably. Clutch was just starting to slip - but when removed was worn to the rivets, the flywheel was stuffed ( the rubber part in the 2 piece was loose) and the RMS had started to leak - actually there was a lot of oil in the bell housing, but I only had a few drops on the floor when I put it in to fix.

The radiator system water tank in engine bay was replaced ~ 2.5 years ago just before I bought it.