Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil change

gemsbnz

• 1 month later...

I'd be curious to learn what oil change intervals are being used by GT3 owners.

I am planning on the old-fashioned 3,000 mi. which is by all accounts a total waste in many ways.

None-the-less, I prefer to see clean, clear oil coming out as well as going in.

I have used this admittedly overly-aggressive (particularly with synthetic) interval on my trucks and other vehicles to observe that the rest of the machine falls apart around a perfect engine.

PS - oil in track cars get changed every event. This has more than once uncovered potentially costly events totally unrelated to oil condition.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I just changed my oil at ~1300 miles. I was surprised that my GT3 was perhaps one of the easier oil changes I have performed.

Thats great to hear, I like to do my own maintenance also, what grade oil did you use.

Wal Mart sells Mobil 1 in 4qt. Jugs.

Off topic, whats the part # for the GT3 OEM front spoiler.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by stuski65

just discovered this forum thru rennlist. its great.

im about to attempt my 1st oil change on 997 gt3 and have some questions vs loren's post about the 996's.

- are there any differences between working on the gt3 dry sump set up and the 996 in the old post?

- how do you avoid over filling since theres no dipstick? only put 8 qts in then let warm up and check computer or just go with the full 9 1/2 qts and remove if too much?

-where exactly are the 2 different drain screws? driver, passenger, front or back sides of engine?

im inexperienced mechanically so please have patience with me

thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 10 years later...

Make sure you use a larger wrench to hold the welded-on flats where the drain plug on the oil tank is located.  You do not want to over-stress the fitting by torquing on it without the other wrench countering this torque.  Do this both for loosening and retightening the drain plug.  Also, use new sealing washers on both the oil tank and the crankcase drain plug.  I also use a clean paper towel to wipe out the interior of the oil filter cartridge holder, as well as the cap.  Take some time and inspect the filter cartridge for metal filings. 

• 5 months later...

Good morning,

And about oil. Do you know why Mobi 1 0W40 FS replace Mobil 1 0W40 new life ?

The new one is a litle more liquide.

Mobi 1 0W40 FS              Mobil 1 0W40 new life          

Viscosity CST 40°C                    70.8                                        75.0

Viscosity CST 100°C                  12.9                                        13.5

Thanks for yours replies

Sorry for my english, I'm French...