Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Work on Cars Day Sept 29th at Loren's house

After conferring with Loren, we'd like to get something going with an eye towards eventually having more regularly scheduled "Work On Cars Day" events with more complex tasks. This first event will take place at Loren's house in Roseville, which is about 15 miles north of Sacramento in Placer County. Additional details and directions will be posted as we get closer to the date and after we see what sort of interest and participation there'll be.

For the first event, Loren will have his PST2 there to read your DME codes and see what sort of mischief has been afoot with your car. He will also have the Durametic software there to demonstrate for you folks who are thinking about buying it, but are not too sure if it is something you can or will use.

In order to kick this thing off....I'd like anyone who would be interested in a Work on Cars Day to post to this forum and give us an idea of what you're driving....and what sort of DIY projects you'd be interested in. For the first meeting, we don't plan on tackling any tough projects, however depending upon the level of interest and the feedback we get from you folks, we will be planning on more complex DIY projects at future Work On Cars Days.

Another RennTecher....Dave in the Placerville area has kindly and graciously offered the use of his formal garage that comes complete with a four wheel lift and specialty Porsche tools. Once we have had a chance to meet some of you good folks and get a feel for what you might like to do.....we will be coordinating with Dave for the use of his facilities.

Please respond to this thread to give us an idea of who would be interested, type of car you're driving, and what sort of thing you might like to see done. Some ideas are:

Coolant Tank swapout

Brake jobs

Short Shifter installs

Reading your codes....over revs etc.

Replacing bulbs, fuses, and other electircal issues

Oil, transmission, and coolant replacement (subject to discussion on disposal and cleanup restrictions)

Plenum installs

Muffler upgrades

I think that gives you the idea behind all this. Remember, whatever project or task you choose to tackle...must be one that can reasonably be accomplished in ONE DAY. Also remember that you don't necessarily have to do a particular project. You may want to show up to see how a brake job or some other scheduled task is done....or just to be able to talk to the experts about how to do a particular task....or listen to someone's mufflers prior to buying a particular brand. Does the PSE muffler really sound like the MKII mod?.....or see how a short shifter feels before deciding. Is a plenum something you want to buy?

We're starting small and with easy tasks....but if there's an expressed interest in going forward, we will be willing to coordinate that for you. Please do not email Loren with questions about this proposal. He gets a couple hundred emals a week....post your questions, comments, suggestions etc to the discussion forum and he or I will answer you from here.

Best regards,

Chuck Jones

It looks like there have been 81 views of this offer for a Work on Cars Day....and no one is interested.??? Is it becasue there are no folks geographically situated to take advantage of this offer.....or perhaps the group would prefer another venue? We would really like to get something started that could work into some great meet-ups and the exchange of some oversight, expertise and help.

Chuck

It looks like there have been 81 views of this offer for a Work on Cars Day....and no one is interested.??? Is it becasue there are no folks geographically situated to take advantage of this offer.....or perhaps the group would prefer another venue? We would really like to get something started that could work into some great meet-ups and the exchange of some oversight, expertise and help.

Chuck

I'm looking at a Boxster in the Bay Area tomorrow (supposed to be an "us" car, but really its for my wife). I'm in Orangevale, have never owned a Porsche before, and have no idea where the good service places are, etc. However I know what a wrench is, and I'm certainly interested in doing some of this stuff myself. First step is getting the car...

Rich

this board has quite a few bay area mebers

a search through the archives could supply a few references

the bay area boxster board is www.babblers.org, they have a references section on their site and should have tons of posts on recommended shops

aloha

steve

mike focke's boxster page is THE reference work for buying a used boxster

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/mikespor...boxsterwebpages

Chuck

I'm looking at a Boxster in the Bay Area tomorrow (supposed to be an "us" car, but really its for my wife). I'm in Orangevale, have never owned a Porsche before, and have no idea where the good service places are, etc. However I know what a wrench is, and I'm certainly interested in doing some of this stuff myself. First step is getting the car...

Rich

I got the car! Lapis Blue with gray interior, 70k. The service records were complete, carfax checked out, and we're quite happy. Of course, its not *my* car, but my wife's car.

Now she wants to do that OBC Hack: "The On-Board Computer is an option that gives you these values: Temperature, Distance To Empty, Avg. MPH, and Avg. MPG. To control it, an extra stalk is added to the steering column. Up through 2000, this was a separate option. For 2001, it was bundled into the Sport Touring Package. Also, the OBC had it's own display up through 2000, but for 2001 shares the trip mileage display..."

Link: http://www.whiteson.org/boxster/mods/obc/

Anybody ever do this one? I'm located pretty close to the intersection of Hazel and Greenback, so not too far geographically from the "Work on Cars" proposal... is this something I could conceivably do in a day?

Also, if anybody has any tips on how to more comfortably "fit" in the Boxster? B)

Rich

this board has quite a few bay area mebers

a search through the archives could supply a few references

the bay area boxster board is www.babblers.org, they have a references section on their site and should have tons of posts on recommended shops

aloha

steve

mike focke's boxster page is THE reference work for buying a used boxster

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/mikespor...boxsterwebpages

Chuck

Rich

I got the car! Lapis Blue with gray interior, 70k. The service records were complete, carfax checked out, and we're quite happy. Of course, its not *my* car, but my wife's car.

Sure - that's what I told my wife when we bought our C4 Cab a few months ago :rolleyes:

I'm about due for an oil change, which would be my first self inflicted one for this car. Is the meet in P-ville or Roseville?

• Admin

Sure - that's what I told my wife when we bought our C4 Cab a few months ago :rolleyes:

I'm about due for an oil change, which would be my first self inflicted one for this car. Is the meet in P-ville or Roseville?

Roseville (Northwest side)

Shucks....since I posted this, my 996 caught fire and was totalled....but I'd be happy to come , bring any necessary tools and help out....however it doesn't look like there are very many folks signed up.....and everyone needs to congratulate Loren on being a brand new "GRUMPA"....or maybe it's GRAMPS.....

Loren: Is this still on schedule in view of everything you have going on?

Chuck

Well....although I lost my 996 to a fire....I have managed to close the deal on an 02 996TT with the X50 package, and I'm hoping that the car will be here in time for the Work on Cars Day....but it's reallycutting it close....and I don't think they'll be able to get it here from the East Coast by then....

But Loren, I'll show up to give you a hand....and bring some specialty tools just in case....

Chuck

I'll be there with my wife. Are small dogs welcome too? We'll be driving a 2000 Boxster S and we'll be coming down from Red Bluff (up near Redding).

I don't really have any projects for my car right now, but I would really appreciate it if Loren could use his PST2 to enable my OBC. What brand of beer do you prefer Loren for payment?

I'm pretty handy with a wrench and will bring some tools to help out with any work that needs to be done.

Kirk

Edited by Bristol

GREAT! Thanks Loren. I've printed out some maps so that I don't get too lost. Also the forecast for this weekend looks positive. I'm looking forward to meeting up with you guys.

BTW - if anyone who is coming has the speedster humps for their Boxster, would you mind bringing them along? I got some Porsche brand humps, but without the mounting hardware. I worked out a way to mount them, but I would like to see what the "real" Porsche mounting hardware looks like and/or how aftermarket humps are mounted.

Thanks,

Kirk

I'd definately be there, especially since the location is only 10 minutes from my place. But we're signed up for the PCA-SVR tour of the Sierra foothills & Octoberfest this Saturday. What does life have to be this way? I guess a day of driving the car vs. working on the car wins out...hopefully next time.

Chuck

Rich

Im interested but im in NJ :(

:renntech:

Chuck

Rich

Second step would be to get a set of workshop manuals and the PET....

Hi all,

I got my 03 boxster last month (sept 29th actually is my 1st month anniversary) after 5 months of searching. Love it and :renntech: which I got great info from. I did purchase the durametric software (thanks to Loren); my boxster seems to have some bugs after checking it with the software. Count me in for sept 29th. If there is anything I can bring please let me know.

Jamal

i'd like to come and would like to know if i could have some help doing a brake flush and possibly a change in manual transmission.....if it can't be done that would be cool i can just come and watch..... i wanted to stop buy the re-cycle place in rancho cardova....

Chuck

Rich

Im interested but im in NJ :(

:renntech:

Same here. Would love to have access to the knowledge of a Loren, but too far to drive from Georgia! :P