Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

So, When Somebody Asks You What Kind Of Car You Have, What Do You Say?

I call it a 911 but I guess it really isn't. I've never called it a Carrera before since I don't think most people know it by that name. I think the layman would be clueless of what I had if I said I had a 996. I tell those in the know that I have a C2 but those that don't know Porsche's wouldn't really know what that is.

What do you call your car when asked?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I call it a 911 but I guess it really isn't. I've never called it a Carrera before since I don't think most people know it by that name. I think the layman would be clueless of what I had if I said I had a 996. I tell those in the know that I have a C2 but those that don't know Porsche's wouldn't really know what that is.

What do you call your car when asked?

986 S

When I get my C2 I will probably say 911 or carrera

I never ever say Porsche.

I call it a 911 but I guess it really isn't.

You lost me... why isn't it? :huh:

Well, didn't they technically stop making "911's" in 1989?

You can see that Porsche still refers to it as a 911 on their own web site, in the "history" section and in the "Car Configurator".

Edited by White987S

I call it a 911 but I guess it really isn't.

You lost me... why isn't it? :huh:

Well, didn't they technically stop making "911's" in 1989?

You can see that Porsche still refers to it as a 911 on their own web site, in the "history" section and in the "Car Configurator".

Right, and it says 911 on my manuals too.

Depends on who's asking and why they are asking surely?? If you are going to appear to be 'showing off' and if they will think your a 'flash git' then say you have a Clio/Micra/Focus whatever............ If not..............

However, forget the 986/987/996/997 etc, people who do not own (or ever have) a Porsche may guess its a Porka (due to the "9"), but the only imortal digits people recognise is 911, so quote that tacking on your variant. Job done!

I am new to Porsches, but the Model is a 911, and the chassis (or series) is 996. Carrera, like Targa is a configuration of the car. I read somewhere that the first time Porsche had placed a Carrera badge on the model was back in the 50s or 60s, and it was not on a 911 - I think it was on a 356. Someone will chime in on this, I hope.

This designation is typical for German manufacturers. BMW has the 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8 series and each model is further designated by a chassis type. For example, the 5-series cars can be describe as a E39 or the latest chassis is the E60. Similar with MB - I have a 1992 E-class model that is a W124 chassis. The current E-class is the W211.

So, just say you have a 911. And like others have said, if the person asks what year or chassis (type), then say 2000 996 C2 Cabriolet.

I read somewhere that the first time Porsche had placed a Carrera badge on the model was back in the 50s or 60s, and it was not on a 911 - I think it was on a 356. Someone will chime in on this, I hope.

That is correct. The 356 offered a 'Carrera' engine option and those cars with the motor wore the Carrera badge. I believe this dates to 1955. Here's a 1963 356 sporting the Carrera badge. (Incidentally, the owner has that one for sale for $242,000!!)

post-20664-1193068844_thumb.jpg