Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Need 18" Tires How Big Can I go?

Hi,

I have tried this, and you sadly it doesnt work.  The autoregulation seems to switch off once the car is moving.  I've also previously read that plugging in the tyre filler hose will stop the suspension from working, but that ooesnt work on my car either.

Thanks for the input, I feel there has to be a way.  Ideally, I'd like to fit a switch between the speed feed to the control box, but I cant work that out.  I was hoping someone has done it. already.

:-)

Hi, 

I've tried this, it doesnt work.  The auto regulation goes back on when the car exceeds a certain speed.  I've also heard and tried that fitting the tyre inflation hose into the socket disables ride height changes, but that doesnt work on my car either.

I kind of figure that there is a wire with speed feed into the control unit, and you could simply fit a switch inline with this, but I've not found out if thats true, or how to do it.

regards

hugh

2 hours ago, smithh said:

Hi, 

I've tried this, it doesnt work.  The auto regulation goes back on when the car exceeds a certain speed.  I've also heard and tried that fitting the tyre inflation hose into the socket disables ride height changes, but that doesnt work on my car either.

I kind of figure that there is a wire with speed feed into the control unit, and you could simply fit a switch inline with this, but I've not found out if thats true, or how to do it.

regards

hugh

I expect the system is overly complicated and removing a speed reference will only introduce fault codes, dash warnings and system deactivation (maybe as intended or maybe not as desired). Everything on this car tends to be like this. Intricate some would say .....I have another term I won't mention. 

Edited by lewisweller

On 4/25/2017 at 7:09 AM, lewisweller said:

Techart do modules to keep the air suspension high or low as per your requirement. 

Hi - yes looked at this $2,000 plus.  Way too much money for me, I'm afraid.  :-(

1 hour ago, smithh said:

Hi - yes looked at this $2,000 plus.  Way too much money for me, I'm afraid.  :-(

With vagcom you can set the "offset" height to increase and decrease the actual ride height of the normal position.

The level Control module coding is required to be changed. Vagcom gives you instructions as per the screen shot, sorry for bad image. There are increments from -25mm up to +20mm on front and rear axle. 

This is your cheapest way to increase normal ride height I reckon.  

Screenshot_20170501-084935.png

Edited by lewisweller

Hi does this work for Porsche Cayenne 957?   A quick suggests its not clear, but that Durametric  is the porsche equiv.  Although its unclear if you can use it for ridehieght restting.

Have you used vag-com for ride height on the porsche?  I've not checked video (As in office), will check later.

thanks for the lead....

[Updated]  OK - there is loads of information on this it seems.  Need to go away and read in detail.  Looks like Durametric may be the way to go. although I've not used either system. 

Edited by smithh

Well, its early days, but here is what I can share......I had an SUV, now I have a truck :-).  The ride is ruined, its a lot harsher than the road tyres.  There is a whine, although not too bad.  The car is fine up to about 140kph (not been any faster), and around town you dont notice the difference in noise.  Out of town, its a bit of worse, but really OK.  Will report back when done a decent long trip.  

As expected its a trade off, the fear of punctures on trails was too great.  having had both old and new tyres side by side when not mounted. the difference in flex is huge.  Will report back on sand performance once I've had a chance.

I've gone quite aggressive, lets see if that pays off in the long run.  

• 1 year later...
On 5/8/2017 at 12:33 PM, smithh said:

Well, its early days, but here is what I can share......I had an SUV, now I have a truck :-).  The ride is ruined, its a lot harsher than the road tyres.  There is a whine, although not too bad.  The car is fine up to about 140kph (not been any faster), and around town you dont notice the difference in noise.  Out of town, its a bit of worse, but really OK.  Will report back when done a decent long trip.  

As expected its a trade off, the fear of punctures on trails was too great.  having had both old and new tyres side by side when not mounted. the difference in flex is huge.  Will report back on sand performance once I've had a chance.

I've gone quite aggressive, lets see if that pays off in the long run.  

Hey smithh,

Any updates on the 265/65-18 setup? Thanks ?

Hi yes, 

Well after 18months and a lot of miles I can share a few thoughts.  Firstly.  I've done a lot of offroading in the car. As a result I've picked up or had cuts / splits on 2 of the tyres.  This caused me to replace all 4 tyres recently as I was worried about impact during long trips.  So I put 4 more BFGs KO2s back one.  Immediately after that I 've 1 tyre delaminate following 90mins at 160kph.  Not impressed. Tyre has been replaced under warranty, but not sure yet whether the tyre or batch is an issue.  

Whilst I've never had a BFG actually puncture, I have to say, they are expensive, and they are heavy.  Also the on road performance is pretty average, clearly its an AT tyre so you should be prepared.

Stopping distances are way longer than street tyres.  I"m about to do a 2000km trip, including 220km desert crossing, so lots off road, which will bed the new tyres in one way or the other.  But I've lost a bit of faith with BFGs.  

I'm now 50:50 on whether they are worth the money and the weight penalty.  That said, there has been pretty much zero rubbing, and I've even managed to drive the car with the air suspension collapsed.  Not far, but it was OK.  This was one of the criteria for me, due to the sometimes remote locations we go to.

Hope that helps and is a balanced view.  

• Like 1