Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cruise Control Retrofit 987/997

Cruise Control Retrofit 987/997

Hi, I have recently retrofitted cruise control on my 987, however, the procedure is essentially the same for a 997. Please see attached instructions for those of you interested. Many thanks to Richard Hamilton for all his help on the parts required etc. Cheers.   Cruise_Control_Retrofit_987_997.pdf

Edited by wizard263789

• 2 weeks later...

Great write up. Looks like the only option not on the car originally. I see you already have PCM , MFW, and leather clad steering column. Good tips on preliminary work for disconnecting battery and opening windows etc ., I had to learn the hard way when I fitted the MFW wheel to my car.

Did the activation by the dealer of the cruise control also resut in a working cruise control light in the instrument cluster? I also had the cruise control retro fitted, but while the cruise control functions well, the cruise control light does not work

cheers

Yes standard 'green' cruise control light functions normally in the instrument cluster after enabling.

Sounds like they didn't enable the instrument cluster for cruise. Apparently the following needs enabling for cruise

1) DME Control Unit

2) Instrument Cluster Control Unit

3) Steering Wheel Electronic Control Unit

I would ask them to check.

Did the activation by the dealer of the cruise control also resut in a working cruise control light in the instrument cluster? I also had the cruise control retro fitted, but while the cruise control functions well, the cruise control light does not work

cheers

Just to add to wizard's comments. When i had the Multi function wheel fitted the car , not only the modules and clusters were enabled , but a vehicle handover procedure was also required to configure them all simultaneously. The vehicle handover is basically sucking all the data from the modules of the car in to the PWIS, then they are all configured to match up, then all the data is downloaded back to the modules and the country options set.

• 7 months later...
Just to add to wizard's comments. When i had the Multi function wheel fitted the car , not only the modules and clusters were enabled , but a vehicle handover procedure was also required to configure them all simultaneously. The vehicle handover is basically sucking all the data from the modules of the car in to the PWIS, then they are all configured to match up, then all the data is downloaded back to the modules and the country options set.

I would love to add CC, as I travel on the motorway every day. Could I ask how you purchased the parts and where you got it activated?

Thanks,

David.

Direct from the OPC and activated by them.

If you are based in the UK I believe Porsche now add a premium to the cruise control switch on ensure that the individual parts are now as expensive as their CC kit, before they started doing this ordering the individual parts cost about £150 sadly now it is more like £300.

Edited by wizard263789

The retrofit kit is now priced at £381.83 including VAT!! And that's for the kit with a black plastic steering colomn cover. If you have a leather one, it adds about £218 for a new cover!!

In the UK, the stalk by itself is now treated as an exchange item, and there is a £200 surcharge if you don't have one to return. However, you can get them from mainland Europe for about £120 without a surcharge. I don't know how long this loophole will last.

I guess they really don't want you to DIY.

• 1 month later...

I just retrofited my 05 997 Carrera with the cruise control at the local dealer here in Madrid. It works perfectly but since I took over the car from the shop I can't open the front trunk fromt he interior button. It only works with the key...

Do you think it could be something they touched during the cc retrofit? I guess I have no other option than come back to them to fix the new bug...

Thanks!

• 9 months later...

Great article - would love to fit this. The parts list states 997 552 475 03 A03 to replace the lower steering column cover. I have an 06 model year Cayman. Is that the correct part number or would I need the 02 A03 part as I have an earlier model? The catalogue/parts list has both these numbers but for the '03 A03' it says for model 1454 - what's a model 1454?. How do the two covers differ, & I know this sounds like a cheap trick, but would it be possible to cut a slot in the existing cover ( done carefully with proper tools), to modify it? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

997 552 475 03 A03 would be correct for your car. A02 is for when you don't have the cruise stalk (ie what you have already got). That part number is for a black plastic one - if you have a leather one it is a different part number. I454 is the option code for cruise control. It really wouldn't be practical to cut the slot - especially if you didn't have a pattern.

Many thanks Richard - funny how obvious all the code's are when someone explains them!! I'm going to give it a go in the next couple of months as I might have sourced some parts at sensible prices. I'll order the switch/stalk first to see if there is a deposit as mentioned in the write up. I'll let you know how I get on.

• 4 months later...
The retrofit kit is now priced at £381.83 including VAT!! And that's for the kit with a black plastic steering colomn cover. If you have a leather one, it adds about £218 for a new cover!!

In the UK, the stalk by itself is now treated as an exchange item, and there is a £200 surcharge if you don't have one to return. However, you can get them from mainland Europe for about £120 without a surcharge. I don't know how long this loophole will last.

I guess they really don't want you to DIY.

I rang Porsche today to buy the parts but what you say is spot on, they wouldn't even sell me the parts with a surcharge just said that they didnt do them!! I just bought all the relevant parts to fit cruise control from http://www.vertexauto.com, even with the the plastic steering column cover and postage to the UK via UPS secure international post the total cost was around £170!!! I will still have to take it to OPC for coding I think tho... but Im hoping they wont refuse. Those are genuine Porsche parts btw!

• 7 years later...

Hi guys, good to see this.

I just wanted to confirm in the document it mentions a longer specific part number 997 613 261 00 01C, however I have also seen elsewhere on the internet 997 613 261 00. Although they seem to be more US focused, I can't see what the difference is? and would the 997 613 261 00 part number work with an 07' UK Cayman S

Thanks