Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

07S Strange Issue w/Replacing Front Brake Pads

I have what is becoming a quite mysterious problem in replacing my front brake pads on a very early 2007 987S. (Sept 06 build)

Attached is a jpg showing the original front brake pad that came with the car and a photo of new pad sets. As can be seen, the top of the pad backing plate is different.

The retaining spring clip that came with the car is 2.5" long and works just fine on the old pads. It will not work on the new style pad. The new style pad requires a 3.5" long spring clip in order clear the new raised portions of the pad backing plate. All other 987S that I've seen use the new style pad and clips.

I can't find any reference to the style of pads or short clips that were built with the car originally.

Any ideas what I might have and does anyone know the correct part# for the 3.5" long retaining clip?

Thanks

Dan

post-9157-1200348561_thumb.jpg

• Admin

The pad design has changed for 987 Boxster S.

Your local dealer should be able to give you more information on what changed - and they should have sold you the correct parts to go with the new pads.

As I recall... pads, sensors, and retaining clips all changed.

11K Miles.

HOWEVER I put 9 or 10 DE track days on the original pads. The last event that I ran, I bought some Pagid Yellow pads which were really great. Can't complain except in trying to figure out exactly what I have.

The original pad has a Textar T4045 FF number which their site says is a 997 part. Maybe 997.351.930.05 Can't seem to find much more about it. Strange.

Hi Dflohr, you need pads already? Wow. How many miles? Thanks.
Edited by dflohr

• Admin
Thanks Loren.

Can you tell if my "old" original pad is the "new" style? Or is it the style that was replaced?

I did call my dealer and the service and parts guys did not have a clue what I was talking about.

Dan

It would be easier if you gave me the part number on your new pads.

Loren:

Thanks

I think that the part# on the original pad is 997.351.930.05 The BOLD numbers I have high confidence in reading. The rest were totally or partially worn down by the brake piston contact (but maybe 997.351.939.05.) The 997 is completely missing. Tried 996 986 987 prefix but got no where.

Textar calls it T4045 FF

Thanks

Dan

Thanks Loren.

Can you tell if my "old" original pad is the "new" style? Or is it the style that was replaced?

I did call my dealer and the service and parts guys did not have a clue what I was talking about.

Dan

It would be easier if you gave me the part number on your new pads.

Loren:

Seem to be getting to the bottom of it. The pads that came with the car are the new style.

The cross references of some of the aftermarket pad resellers do not seem to have recognized this new style yet. They want to supply the older style that will physically fit in but would require a different retaining clip.

I'm just trying to find regular quiet street pads (I have Pagid Yellows for track and these are correct style)

May just have to get the Porsche pads from the dealer. Can't find a less expensive Mintex or Textar cross yet.

Thanks for the help.

Dan

So are your pads Porsche parts or after market?

Here is what the Porsche parts list says:

post-1-1200357692_thumb.png

• 11 months later...
Loren:

Seem to be getting to the bottom of it. The pads that came with the car are the new style.

The cross references of some of the aftermarket pad resellers do not seem to have recognized this new style yet. They want to supply the older style that will physically fit in but would require a different retaining clip.

I'm just trying to find regular quiet street pads (I have Pagid Yellows for track and these are correct style)

May just have to get the Porsche pads from the dealer. Can't find a less expensive Mintex or Textar cross yet.

Thanks for the help.

Dan

Hi Dan,

I also have a 2007 Boxster S and have the same issue. The original pads look like 997 351 930 05 however call to the dealer says they say i should use 997 351 939 05. So looks like the same issue. I live in Australia however will be visining USA next month and would like to buy pads there as they are much less expensive? Did you ever resolve this and find acceptable aftermarket pads?

Thanks,

Joe

So are your pads Porsche parts or after market?

Here is what the Porsche parts list says:

post-1-1200357692_thumb.png

• 8 years later...

First post to this great forum to hopefully give a little back to the community after having gathered valuable information prior to my purchasing my first Porsche.

I have the exact opposite situation when fitting Pagid S pads at the front of my 99 996 carrera.

These pads are the same geometry as the upper ones in above picture, however the car originally has the geometry of the lower ones and thus the longer spring.

I searched for the correct part number of the 2.5" spring and identified it as 95535296000.

Not willing to pay 45€ for them at Porsche I found alternative suppliers' parts and this is what I want to share with you:

Ate 610280

Delphi LX0450

Hella 8DZ355203191

JP Group  1163750219

Textar 82076600

Volkswagen 7L0698269

PAGID: 355203191

TRW: PFK505

BREMBO: A02448

textar 82076600,

METZGER: 1091660

Prizes ranging from as little as 8€ to 22€ (Ate).

Further reading on the subject http://www.planet-9.com/#/topics/56342?page=1

Edited by hardtailer