Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

OBC Hack

• 1 year later...

Thanks to all for posting the OBC Hack information and to Loren for directing me to the links. I was reviewing the comprehensive D2 Performance instuctions before starting the little project and noticed there are no instructions for the wiring of the harness itself (the D2 step-by-step mentions wiring instructions, but there are none there, nor a link). Even worse, everyone refers to a 5 wire harness. Suncoast sent me all the necessary parts as a kit, and included three long yellow wires for a harness, and the little black six position clip. Six positions, three wires and everyone talking about five wires? So I'm at a loss for the wiring.

I don't want to pull the wheel and all the ancillary parts without a wiring harness ready to go (can't do without driving my Boxster for a week, especially with sunny and 70 projected on Monday!). Does anyone have detailed information on the wiring harness configuration. I see a list of wiring points for a 2000, but I have a 2002, and Suncoast who have sent me only three wires is usually on target with their parts advice. Perhaps my 2002 only needs three wires? Plus which of the six positions on the clip might be the right ones?

Any advice on this would be most appreciated!

Mike - 2seatcollector

These are the connections for a 2002:

Stalk Connector Pin 1 - Ground

Stalk Connector Pin 2 - Cluster Connector Plug C (Grey) Pin 23

Stalk Connector Pin 3 - Cluster Connector Plug C (Grey) Pin 22

Stalk Connector Pin 4 - Cluster Connector Plug C (Grey) Pin 21

Stalk Connector Pin 5 - Cluster Connector Plug C (Grey) Pin 24

Stalk Connector Pin 6 - Not Used

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for posting the OBC Hack information and to Loren for directing me to the links. I was reviewing the comprehensive D2 Performance instuctions before starting the little project and noticed there are no instructions for the wiring of the harness itself (the D2 step-by-step mentions wiring instructions, but there are none there, nor a link). Even worse, everyone refers to a 5 wire harness. Suncoast sent me all the necessary parts as a kit, and included three long yellow wires for a harness, and the little black six position clip. Six positions, three wires and everyone talking about five wires? So I'm at a loss for the wiring.

I don't want to pull the wheel and all the ancillary parts without a wiring harness ready to go (can't do without driving my Boxster for a week, especially with sunny and 70 projected on Monday!). Does anyone have detailed information on the wiring harness configuration. I see a list of wiring points for a 2000, but I have a 2002, and Suncoast who have sent me only three wires is usually on target with their parts advice. Perhaps my 2002 only needs three wires? Plus which of the six positions on the clip might be the right ones?

Any advice on this would be most appreciated!

Mike - 2seatcollector

You need five wires. Three of one kind and two of another. The yellow VW wires terminate in a special male connector.

You should have three VW wires exactly the same (part # 000-979-009). You cut two of these in half (you now have 4 wires) and install them into the plug-in connector (part # 999-650-056-40) in slots 2,3,4 &5. The cut ends of these wires will be spliced into other wires later. You take the thitrd wire (uncut) and place one end into connector slot #1. You cut the free end of this wire close to the end and crimp on a 6mm eyelet to the end. This eyelet gets connected to ground.

You should also have two other VW wires (part # 000-979-010). You cut these in half. You now have 4 wires. Connect the cut end of these wires to the wires above that occupy slots 2,3,,4 & 5 of the plug-in connector. Label these. The plug-in connectors snaps into the 4th stalk on the steering wheel column. The ground gets place behind a ground screw.

In 2001 and up Boxsters the wires connect to the Grey Instrument Cluster connector in the following order.

#2 to pin #23 on grey cluster
#3 to pin #22 on grey cluster
#4 to pin # 21 on grey cluster
#5 to pin #24 on grey cluster

Hope this helps! Edited by kbrandsma

Does anyone have detailed information on the wiring harness configuration. I see a list of wiring points for a 2000, but I have a 2002, and Suncoast who have sent me only three wires is usually on target with their parts advice. Perhaps my 2002 only needs three wires? Plus which of the six positions on the clip might be the right ones?

I haven't double-checked the information provided by others, but I checked the electrical diagrams when writing the book, and came up with the mappings used here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/catalog/shopcart/BE39_catalog.htm

Hope you find this useful...

-Wayne

You need five wires. Three of one kind and two of another. The yellow VW wires terminate in a special male connector. ...

When I did my 2001 OBC, there was conflicting info on the wires. In 2001, Porsche changed the connectors and all the wires should be the same. You no longer need to cut and splice the 2 different VW wires, you will need 5 of the same. I'm on a business trip this week, but if you search you should be able to find the details. I'm pretty sure for 2001 and newer you will use 5 of the 000 979 009 wires. These go into stalk connectors 1 through 5. For connector 1, cut off the other end and add an eyelet to screw in to a good ground

I took it to Squires in Bellevue this afternoon and it only took Tony about 10 minutes to get it done (including a test drive for the cruise) using his PST2.

I too have a 2003 S and asked Tony to turn mine on last summer, but he said that the folks who came in had the instructions and he couldn't remember the exact process. Does anyone have the steps / location / whatever for the PST2 to turn this on for a 2003 S? I'm just going to go with the OAT, no desire at this time to add a 4th stalk...

Thanks in advance,

Keith

On cars with the later cluster (like your 03 S) the OAT will not show if you simply code the cluster for OBC. You have to connect a stalk or switch to give the system a control input before it will show the OBC display. It can be done with a single wire, but you still need to connect it to the cluster, so it's a no-brainer to fit the switch.

On cars with the later cluster (like your 03 S) the OAT will not show if you simply code the cluster for OBC. You have to connect a stalk or switch to give the system a control input before it will show the OBC display. It can be done with a single wire, but you still need to connect it to the cluster, so it's a no-brainer to fit the switch.

OK - I can add a switch (certainly there are instructions on that) - but are you saying that I need the switch to be there BEFORE I have Squire turn it on via their laptop device?

Edited by centerisl

• Admin

OK - I can add a switch (certainly there are instructions on that) - but are you saying that I need the switch to be there BEFORE I have Squire turn it on via their laptop device?

No - it makes no difference if you turn it on before or after the switch install.

Problem is you won't see anything in the display until until the switch is installed (2001 and newer Boxsters).

Let's back up here - Tony (at Squire's) said he wasn't able to remember the PST procedure to turn it on - that's the part I'm missing.

Now if you guys are saying that...maybe he turned it on but he (and I) can't see it because the switch isn't connected....that seems like a different result. I just tried calling them and I think they're gone for the long weekend.

Can anyone confirm the PST steps for turning on the OBD display for a '03 "S"?

Keith

Can anyone confirm the PST steps for turning on the OBD display for a '03 "S"?

Tell your Porsche Tech you got this from an amateur DIYer! :rolleyes:

1) Do a Control Module Search from the Vehicle Type screen.

2) Go to DME control unit.

3) Go to Vehicle Data.

4) Scroll down to Order Type. If the Order Type is shown, go to step 9, if it is a line of dashes, got to step 5.

5) Press the F7 key to edit.

6) Enter the 6-digit Order Code. (986310 for 2.5/2.7 - 986320 for 3.2).

7) Press F7 to confirm.

8) Go back to the Vehicle Type screen and do a full Control Module Search. (Essential).

9) Go to Instrument Cluster>Coding and select "with On-board Computer".

10) Press the F8 key to save.

11) Job done. Exit and enjoy!

Edited by Richard Hamilton

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I purchased all the necessary parts from Sunset to do the OBC hack using the four-stalk cluster on my 2001 Boxster base model. It has been awhile since I ordered the parts. Now that I am finally making the time to do this hack, the links to the DIY instructions on both whiteson.org and brackenrig.net are dead. Drat! By chance, does anyone have a PDF or some type of backup of the step-by-step instructions that were posted? Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Before I go ahead with the full hack and add the fourth stalk can some one tell me if it is possible to have both metric and miles info in the OBC. So far I have only the temp reading and that is only possible to view in F and not C. Good anyway as I have it as a limit not to lower the top below 55F.

It would be fun to have at least one upgrade project this winter but if I cant have the metric info I need to source another instrument as a start

• 2 years later...

You need five wires. Three of one kind and two of another. The yellow VW wires terminate in a special male connector. ...

When I did my 2001 OBC, there was conflicting info on the wires. In 2001, Porsche changed the connectors and all the wires should be the same. You no longer need to cut and splice the 2 different VW wires, you will need 5 of the same. I'm on a business trip this week, but if you search you should be able to find the details. I'm pretty sure for 2001 and newer you will use 5 of the 000 979 009 wires. These go into stalk connectors 1 through 5. For connector 1, cut off the other end and add an eyelet to screw in to a good ground

See no response to this ever posted.

Shall I assume this is correct?