Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996Turbo Brake Myths and Truths

996Turbo Brake Myths and Truths

Admins, Can we get a brake tech swap sticky going? There is a lot of "mis-information" out there about what will and won't work with the 996TT and it would be nice to have all the info in one thread... For instance: Front Brake Issues GT2/3 Calipers - Direct bolt on GT2/3 Rotors - NOT a direct bolt on. To be able to use the GT2/3 Rotor, which is a different offset than the AWD Turbo Rotor Hat, you would need to replace your suspension upright (The part the strut and

Edited by Mikelly

• 10 months later...

There have been a few updates and I do apologize for not keeping you folks posted on them...

There are a couple of companies who have finally stepped up to build rotors for the 996TT. However, there are some things you should be aware of...

The GIRO rotors made by RRS are not cheap... They DO allow the use of the OEM Ebrake, which is nice... Expect to spend upwards of $3K for the four. I could NEVER get the folks at RRS to talk to me about replacement parts for their rotors/bobbins/hat replacements. Although I'm sure it's a nice product, their customer support is sorely lacking.

Brembo has finally stepped up and made the 996TT rotor in both 330 and 350MM. They are also making them for the front and rear and they use the Mclaren Bobbins in their kit, which is the industry standard. What's more, Vendors like Vivid Racing are offering them at a real cost savings as a promo. The other benefit is the contruction of the rotor and the hat. You'll get many many thousands of miles out of these units. Track junkies will get more than a season of use as well... A HUGE benefit to those of us who actually drive these cars the way they were intended to be used!

I ditched the brake cooling I was using and just went the GT3 RS route. I also am now using the 997TT rear rotor, along with a custom spacer for the calipers and the 997TT rear caliper bolts. I use the OEM 996TT rear caliper in this application and have found it to be a GREAT alternative solution for tracking the 997TT. The system just plain works well and other than the Coleman front rotor setup, the rest is all Porsche!

Pads and fluid info has not changed at this time.

Email me at dat74z@yahoo.com if you have questions!

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

• 11 years later...

If you add the 997 GT3 master cylinder (27mm bore) to the 996  in order for the psm/abs to work perfectly and not throw any codes you will need to install a brake bias adjuster in line between the rear master port and the psm pump, it needs to see about 7% reduction in pressure or it will throw a psm/abs code and shut down the system.  Note the 997 gt3 master has both ports 12mm bubble flair, unlike the 996 masters that use 12mm front, 10mm rear so you will have to make a custom line or a adapter (they suck)   Anyway it gives you a rock hard pedal with the 997 or bigger brakes and all works as it should

P1010010.JPG

P1010009.JPG

P1010011.JPG

• Like 1