Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replacing the factory horn with Air Horns

I recently received a air horn kit from Griots garage and want to install it in place of the factory units.

First, is there any technical issues with this? (from what I see the alarm horn and siren are separate of the horn triggered buy the steering column switches)

Second, where the heck are they? :o

Thanks!

You will need to cut the original connectors and you will only need two of the four wires - so tape the other two well.

OK, I saw the diagram of the parts from a PET image that was included in another thread, I saw that there are 'high' and 'low' note horns, makes sense that I would only need one set of connections.

Does anybody know if these already go through a relay to supply power or if the receive power directly from the switch in the steering wheel?

In the past I know that steering wheel switches tend to get burnt out from the higher current of the air horns so a relay would normally be required?

Also, are the horns located ahead of the front wheels (behind the inner fender skirt)?

• Admin
Does anybody know if these already go through a relay to supply power or if the receive power directly from the switch in the steering wheel?
Yes

In the past I know that steering wheel switches tend to get burnt out from the higher current of the air horns so a relay would normally be required?
Not that I have seen so far. I've installed a couple of these (including my own car). I've got some pics somewhere...

Also, are the horns located ahead of the front wheels (behind the inner fender skirt)?
For me, they were easier to mount in the center behind the front bumper support.

I'll look for my pics.

thanks for the reply and pictures.

That is good news about not needing the relay, I figured that they may have used one for the factory horns. The unit in the picture look identical to the unit I have.

Wow, so you removed the front bumper cover to install them(is that where the stock ones are?), I didn't think that I would have to go that far, clean and hidden but it must have taken a while to R&R the cover?

Edited by Westcoaster

You will need to cut the original connectors and you will only need two of the four wires - so tape the other two well.

OK, I saw the diagram of the parts from a PET image that was included in another thread, I saw that there are 'high' and 'low' note horns, makes sense that I would only need one set of connections.

Anyway could you please share the link to these diagrams?

BTW... Which of the Griots Garage horns did you get? Are they dual-tone?

Best,

Gus

Anyway could you please share the link to these diagrams?

BTW... Which of the Griots Garage horns did you get? Are they dual-tone?

Best,

Gus

What I was referring to was a drawing of the horns, no other information, I can't find the post now, but you wouldn't get much info from it.

The horns are dual tone:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+ac...vals&page=1

Here is a good link for installation on a Boxster:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/salterma/index.htm

Hi guys,

I found a horn that my father used to have in the early 80s, and it brings good memories...despite its less than subtle sound!

Well... enough of the drama...

(1) Is there anyway that I can get this installed in the Boxster? Its a 01 US base with two radiators.

(2) What additional parts do I need to purchase?

(3) I am more concerned about the electrical connections to be made. It seems that I can just remove the OEM horn; use the original wires and just connect the positive terminal and the negative terminal to the compressor?

(4) Any suggestion on the place I can stick this in? What do I buy in order to fabricate the 'brackets'?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I am not really a skilled DIYer, despite getting much better in the last year thanks to this forum. That being said I am assuming this is a simple install. Please, let me know if I am over simplifying it.

All the best,

Gus

Link to the Website that carries it

post-17763-1209658724.jpg

Edited by gandrade1

• Moderators

I have posted info on putting in air horns on a base 986 Boxster. Somehow I erased all my favorites so I can's give you a link. You will have to search.

On the 986 base there is plenty room under the bumper cover for the compressor and the trumpets. I mounted them on bracket I have left over from a garage door motor install. Then bolted the bracket to the car.

I still have the electric horns hooked up, plus the air horns. Sandy came up with a schematic so I could install a switch, and switch back and forth between the electric and air horns. Never go around to putting a switch in. In reality I would not have time to play around with a switch if another truk decides to back up into me, which is the reason I put air horns in.

post-4-1209743452_thumb.jpg

post-4-1209743491_thumb.jpg

I have posted info on putting in air horns on a base 986 Boxster. Somehow I erased all my favorites so I can's give you a link. You will have to search.

On the 986 base there is plenty room under the bumper cover for the compressor and the trumpets. I mounted them on bracket I have left over from a garage door motor install. Then bolted the bracket to the car.

I still have the electric horns hooked up, plus the air horns. Sandy came up with a schematic so I could install a switch, and switch back and forth between the electric and air horns. Never go around to putting a switch in. In reality I would not have time to play around with a switch if another truk decides to back up into me, which is the reason I put air horns in.

Thank you so much...

That is great to know.

I am gonna go for the the 3 trumpets then... I am assuming I can get a bracket at Home Depot, Loews, etc.

I will probably just remove the OEM horn, buy some wire to extend the original ones to the center of the bumper and plug them to the terminals on the back of the compressor.

Am I missing something? Any advive on the wires to buy length, material of the bracket?

Best,

Gus

Edited by gandrade1

• Moderators

It is a 90 degree angle bracket, made out of sheet metal, with a bunch of holes. I used it for my garage door opener so I had a piece left over. Any home improvement store will have it.

I forget the guage wire I used. It was 16 or the next larger size. The instruction may have it.

post-4-1209761422_thumb.jpg

It is a 90 degree angle bracket, made out of sheet metal, with a bunch of holes. I used it for my garage door opener so I had a piece left over. Any home improvement store will have it.

I forget the guage wire I used. It was 16 or the next larger size. The instruction may have it.

I hope it is the last time I bother you with this mod :unsure:

Quick questions:

(1) What is the distance between the two brackets for the 3rd radiator - in other words - how long does the sheet metal bracket needs to be? I just thought you guys might have the info readily available, I am planning on going to the hardware store during lunch. Otherwise I will just go home in the end of the day and measure it.

(2) What size of bolts and lock washers do I need, in order to attach the bracket? I read something like M8 - is this readily available at any hardware store?

All the best,

Gus

• Admin

1. I have a 3rd radiator Tool Pants does not. Because of the 3rd radiator I chose to mount the horn from single strap (see pics in post 5 of this thread).

I believe Tool Pants used the hanging brackets for the 3rd radiator (which are on all cars). It really makes no difference which method you choose.

2. In my method you do not need any bolts - you use one existing bolt and the mounting bolt that comes with the horn.

In Tool Pants method I think you would need a couple of M8s.

• Moderators

I did this 5 years ago and did not take notes. I did not have buy anything as I have coffee cans for my nut, bolt, and washer collection. I think the air horn kit also came with hardware. Don't need to use metric stuff. Did not have to drill any holes. The bracket is about 2 feet, maybe 2 feet and a few inches. I think it is sold in 4 foot lengths, or even longer. My bumper cover was off before I started the project so I figured I had enough stuff laying around the garage.

Whenever I used a bolt I used a locking washer behind it. I also used loctite. I did not want to have to remove the bumper cover if some fastner vibrated loose. I even considered using pop rivets for mounting the bracket.

After you get the cover off cut the bracket. The bracket will be bolted to the mounting points for the 3rd radiator, which you and I don't have. Then you bolt the compressor and the 3 trumpets to the bracket. Then bolt the bracket to the car.

I did this 5 years ago and did not take notes. I did not have buy anything as I have coffee cans for my nut, bolt, and washer collection. I think the air horn kit also came with hardware. Don't need to use metric stuff. Did not have to drill any holes. The bracket is about 2 feet, maybe 2 feet and a few inches. I think it is sold in 4 foot lengths, or even longer. My bumper cover was off before I started the project so I figured I had enough stuff laying around the garage.

Whenever I used a bolt I used a locking washer behind it. I also used loctite. I did not want to have to remove the bumper cover if some fastner vibrated loose. I even considered using pop rivets for mounting the bracket.

After you get the cover off cut the bracket. The bracket will be bolted to the mounting points for the 3rd radiator, which you and I don't have. Then you bolt the compressor and the 3 trumpets to the bracket. Then bolt the bracket to the car.

Thank you so much, ToolPants...

Thanks to you, Loren and others here I removed the bumper this weekend by myself, cleaned the radiators and replaced the stock horns with the 3 trumpets...

The result is amazing! BTW, I broke only one rivet.

All the best,

Gus

:renntech:

Updates on the material used:

(1) Same bracket as in ToolPants pics (from HomeDepot) - 2 feet long...They only sell 3 or 4 feet, but one of the guys there was VERY kind as to cut the bracket for me, after some convincing.

(2) 2 M8 bolts, with regular nuts and locker washers.

(3) Insulated crimping connectors (4 in my case, but usualy 2 for other styles)

(4) Electrical tape

(5) 16 AWG electrical wire

(6) A lot of patience and care, while removing and re-installing the bumper.

Edited by gandrade1

How did the horns from Griot's tun out. I would love to hear them before going through the trouble of installing them and not liking them.

Sorry, I have been so busy I haven't had time to install them yet... besides I have to wrap my head around pulling off the front bumper cover! :huh:

How did the horns from Griot's tun out. I would love to hear them before going through the trouble of installing them and not liking them.

... besides I have to wrap my head around pulling off the front bumper cover! :huh:

That was for me the toughest part! I reassembled it, but I guess I need to re-align the right wheel liner a little better, since I ended up with a small gap in the bottom part, which I don't remember being there! Other than that the bumper itself seems to be pretty aligned.

BTW, I would definetly recommend jacking the car up and removing the front wheels (which I didnt do, but now recognize the mistake) - it will save you a lot of time when dealing with those IMAGINATIVE, CREATIVE, INVENTION OF THE CENTURY plastic rivets and will save your hands from scratches and the arms from bruises!

All the best,

Gus

Edited by gandrade1

... besides I have to wrap my head around pulling off the front bumper cover! :huh:

That was for me the toughest part! I reassembled it, but I guess I need to re-align the right wheel liner a little better, since I ended up with a small gap in the bottom part, which I don't remember being there! Other than that the bumper itself seems to be pretty aligned.

BTW, I would definetly recommend jacking the car up and removing the front wheels (which I didnt do, but now recognize the mistake) - it will save you a lot of time when dealing with those IMAGINATIVE, CREATIVE, INVENTION OF THE CENTURY plastic rivets and will save your hands from scratches and the arms from bruises!

All the best,

Gus

thanks for the tips Gus,

The horns will have to wait a little longer, this weekend is out too, off to the track for a little 'driver's education!"