Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PCM/PCM2 Software Revisions

Gentlemen...this thread got a little confusing for low tech me....I'm purchasing a PCM2 which came out of a wrecked '03 TT, to install in my '03 C4S....there are no disks in the transaction....I was given a set of 2.0 disks....am I to assume that the compatible disks will be from 2.0, or do I have to wait to fire it up to find out?

If it is 2.0, and my disks work, is there any sense to upgrading to 3.0?  The install is being done at an authorized Porsche dealer.

thanks

In case you are interested, I have an unopened new set of the latest PCM II disks for use in a 3.0 system. I'd recommend getting the firmware upgraded. Eventually, you will need to do it anyway, since NavTech will not be making disks for the 2.0 firmware. It gives you better map colors (as well as a choice).

You can have them for $110 shipped. They cost about $179. email me at alex_garcia@mindspring.com

• 1 month later...
Gentlemen...this thread got a little confusing for low tech me....I'm purchasing a PCM2 which came out of a wrecked '03 TT, to install in my '03 C4S....there are no disks in the transaction....I was given a set of 2.0 disks....am I to assume that the compatible disks will be from 2.0, or do I have to wait to fire it up to find out?

If it is 2.0, and my disks work, is there any sense to upgrading to 3.0?  The install is being done at an authorized Porsche dealer.

thanks

In case you are interested, I have an unopened new set of the latest PCM II disks for use in a 3.0 system. I'd recommend getting the firmware upgraded. Eventually, you will need to do it anyway, since NavTech will not be making disks for the 2.0 firmware. It gives you better map colors (as well as a choice).

You can have them for $110 shipped. They cost about $179. email me at alex_garcia@mindspring.com

thanks anyway, Alex, but I'd already bought them from navteq.....now I wish I hadn't.....new disks are coming out in August, and there's no free upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this requires a different topic... I own a '95 996 C4S equipped with PCM II. If I recall well, sw version is 3.0.3, so it's probably updated. Now, I understand there's probably a new version for the data from NavTeq that I could get but the issue is: I want to pinpoint all known radar monitored spots. Have you done anything like that on a bulk import mode, not on a one to one basis? is there any interface to do it?

thx

• 3 months later...

Hallo, i'm just arrived in this forum from Italy!

I wish to know if is possible to see the pcm's OS typing something someware! Like in the mobile phones *#0000# or similar!

I read the OS 3 has video color - as mine - but my boxster is a 2003 so reading the table i had to have OS 2.

:oops:

• 2 months later...

Hi! I've got an 2005 996 C4s with PCM 2. Does anyone knows which are the differences between this PCM and that from the 2005 997 PCM??? Aparently both are the same but the second one is able to play Mp3's and uses DVD's instead of my Cd's. Is there any chance to update/upgrade my PCM so that it can play Mp3 or can I install that DVD player in the boot??? Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

post-8594-1143387488_thumb.jpg

From TSB 0307 9112 PCM Software Release Versions (dated 11-24-03)

Vehicle Type: All PCM Equipped Vehicles

Model Year: As of 1998 (W)

Information: This bulletin is to inform you of the PCM software release versions. See the Technical Information Bulletin

pertaining to the specific vehicle you are working on for VIN cutoff dates.

PCM 1:

- Utilizes seven (7) map disks to cover the United States only

- Optionally installed in MY 1998 to MY 2002 vehicles

PCM 2:

- Utilizes two (2) map disks to cover the United States and Canada

- Optionally installed in MY 2003 and up vehicles.

- You can use updated map CD version 2003.1 in early PCM2s after updating the operating system from 2.0 to 3.0. See Technical Bulletin “PCM2 and BOSE Spare Parts Requirement” referenced below.

PCM System Navigation Map Software Release Vehicle Description

pcm_software.gif

Navigation disks are available from NAVTECH. Their customer support number is 1 (888) 628-6277.

Hi Loren:

I bought a PCM-Disk 2000-1 for my2002 PCM-1 system and the Disk gives an incorrect disk message, am I correct in the conclusion that later PCM-1 are not backward compatible with earlier SW versions?

Thanks

Robert

• Admin
Hi Loren:

I bought a PCM-Disk 2000-1 for my2002 PCM-1 system and the Disk gives an incorrect disk message, am I correct in the conclusion that later PCM-1 are not backward compatable with earlier SW versions?

Thanks

Robert

That is correct - I doubt any are backwards compatible. In some case there were firmware upgrades (performed by dealers) also.

• 3 months later...

Good Day,

I just purchased a 99 C4 with navigation, but I do not have the CD for my region (Oregon/California). Can anyone suggest where I might obtain a CD for this (I believe) first generation nav system? PCM 1?

Thank you,

Eric

• Admin
Good Day,

I just purchased a 99 C4 with navigation, but I do not have the CD for my region (Oregon/California). Can anyone suggest where I might obtain a CD for this (I believe) first generation nav system? PCM 1?

Thank you,

Eric

Navigation disks are available from NAVTECH. Their customer support number is 1 (888) 628-6277.

• 1 month later...

Just for info I have managed to upgrade my PCM2.1 originally manufactured 2004 and running software version 1 to the latest supportable version 3. This allows the later versions of map disk to be used in the unit (ie those from 04.2005 and later) which in the Uk means that TMC functions properly. The PCM hardware in early vehicles will not support software above version 3 I beleive as it is designed for the later versions of PCM that have the MP3 capability. To upgrade from version 1 ,2 to version 3 on early PCM 2.1's just requires a Cd rom inserted in the Cd drive of the unit. The update is self activating and no special OBD tools are required.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

One question please, eventhough i think i know the answer.

My 2002 Row C4 is ecquiped with PCM1 16 bit system & I found a European 2000-1.1 Porsche-Navtech CD. Anyone knows whether that will work in my system? As far as i can understand from the previous messages, i dought it...

Thanks in advance!

Nikos.

• 1 month later...

Does anybody know what buttons to press on the PCM to find out what version of the software/unit/firmware its using. I've seen this done so I know its possible. I've range the local Porsche dealership and they dont appear to know???

Thanks

Lee

Porsche Cayenne V6

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone know if the newer MY05+ PCM 2.1 DVD verson 3.0 will fit or retrofit to a MY03 w/ PCM2.1 CD Version 3.0. There do not seem to map updates in Europe for CD PCM2 since 2004. Just wondering if I can swap to the newer PCM DVD. There are a couple availible. 997.642.103.05 and 997.642.103.06. I need to move quickly to get them, so if anyone can reply PDQ, (Loren?) it sure would be appreciated. - Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Information: This bulletin is to inform you of the PCM software release versions. See the Technical Information Bulletin

PCM 1:

PCM 2:

- You can use updated map CD version 2003.1 in early PCM2s after updating the operating system from 2.0 to 3.0. See Technical Bulletin “PCM2 and BOSE Spare Parts Requirement” referenced below.

pcm_software.gif

Hi Loren for information the company is NAVTEQ not NAVTECH. Interestingly on their UK site they dont list Porsche as one of their systems supported for upgrade but they do in the USA. The only update disc for 2004 listed in the US site is for North America

Steve

• Admin

PCM 1:

PCM 2:

pcm_software.gif

Hi Loren for information the company is NAVTEQ not NAVTECH. Interestingly on their UK site they dont list Porsche as one of their systems supported for upgrade but they do in the USA. The only update disc for 2004 listed in the US site is for North America

Steve

Seve,

The information above is taken exactly "as is" from the Porsche TSB. We strive for accuracy here (even when Porsche is wrong). :lol:

Search other threads here and you will find that the NAVTEQ website is not very helpful. You will also find that NAVTEQ says you should get your updates from Porsche -- and Porsche says you should get your updates from NAVTEQ.

For my money I think you should request and updates from Porsche since you (and I paid them the money for the car in the first place).

Does anyone know if the newer MY05+ PCM 2.1 DVD verson 3.0 will fit or retrofit to a MY03 w/ PCM2.1 CD Version 3.0. There do not seem to map updates in Europe for CD PCM2 since 2004. Just wondering if I can swap to the newer PCM DVD. There are a couple availible. 997.642.103.05 and 997.642.103.06. I need to move quickly to get them, so if anyone can reply PDQ, (Loren?) it sure would be appreciated. - Thanks

DVD 997 will not work on a 996 CD PCMII

• 4 months later...
Just for info I have managed to upgrade my PCM2.1 originally manufactured 2004 and running software version 1 to the latest supportable version 3. This allows the later versions of map disk to be used in the unit (ie those from 04.2005 and later) which in the Uk means that TMC functions properly. The PCM hardware in early vehicles will not support software above version 3 I beleive as it is designed for the later versions of PCM that have the MP3 capability. To upgrade from version 1 ,2 to version 3 on early PCM 2.1's just requires a Cd rom inserted in the Cd drive of the unit. The update is self activating and no special OBD tools are required.

Can you share with us where I can get this Version3 upgrade disk? I have download from another internet site the V2.1 update disk 1 and 2 but there was no instruction, I try to insert the disc in the cd rom but nothing happen. How to use ithe update disk on the PCM, anyone can help me?

• 3 months later...

Hello Loren,

I purchased a second hand Porsche 996 Carrera 4S mod. 2005 with PCM2 (Software Ver. 3.0), Bose system, GSM module and CD Changer.

From the first day, I noticed and escalated to the local Porsche dealer in GENEVA (Switzerland) an issue with the GPS where the voice both French or Italian was distorted and not understandable.

I tested without success another navigation CD set (3 CDs) release 2003 & 2004 and also escalated the issue to Navteq but the response I received was that the voices (woman/man) are recorded into the PCM2 and not on the Navigation CD sets.

however I also contacted Porsche in Switzerland, Italy, French and Germany to see if there was any new software upgrade available to correct this issue and the responses I received were unclear:

- The voice distortion cannot be corrected (it happen also with new GPS model PCM2.1 with DVD)

- The software upgrade is not available (local dealer)

- Software upgrade version 3.1 is available

- Another software upgrade version is also available

Could you please check from your side and let me know if this problem is correctable and which software upgrade is really

exist for the PCM2. Should I can escalate this problem to Harman/Becker in absence of Porsche support?

Best Regards,

Liberato

• Admin
Hello Loren,

I purchased a second hand Porsche 996 Carrera 4S mod. 2005 with PCM2 (Software Ver. 3.0), Bose system, GSM module and CD Changer.

From the first day, I noticed and escalated to the local Porsche dealer in GENEVA (Switzerland) an issue with the GPS where the voice both French or Italian was distorted and not understandable.

I tested without success another navigation CD set (3 CDs) release 2003 & 2004 and also escalated the issue to Navteq but the response I received was that the voices (woman/man) are recorded into the PCM2 and not on the Navigation CD sets.

however I also contacted Porsche in Switzerland, Italy, French and Germany to see if there was any new software upgrade available to correct this issue and the responses I received were unclear:

- The voice distortion cannot be corrected (it happen also with new GPS model PCM2.1 with DVD)

- The software upgrade is not available (local dealer)

- Software upgrade version 3.1 is available

- Another software upgrade version is also available

Could you please check from your side and let me know if this problem is correctable and which software upgrade is really

exist for the PCM2. Should I can escalate this problem to Harman/Becker in absence of Porsche support?

Best Regards,

Liberato

There are numerous service bulletins on PCM 2.1 problems. Your dealer/OPC should be able to tell you if that problem is correctable.

Search other threads here and you will find that the NAVTEQ website is not very helpful. You will also find that NAVTEQ says you should get your updates from Porsche -- and Porsche says you should get your updates from NAVTEQ.

For my money I think you should request and updates from Porsche since you (and I paid them the money for the car in the first place).

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

In Spain we've just received the new software update of PCM2 with new 2008 european maps, ready to fit in 996, 986, and Cayenne provided with CD ROM

Porsche PCM 2.0 Software-Update 08.2005 / CD-Version

for Cayenne, 911 and Boxster

original CDs / Porsche Teqiupment

at all 8 CDs / 6 Navigations-CDs / 2 Multimedia-Update CDs (Cayenne & 911/Boxster)

CD 1: CZ, D, SK

CD 2: F, MC

CD 3: B, DK, GB, IRL, L, NL

CD 4: AND, E, GR, H, P

CD 5: A, CH, FL, I, RSM, SCV

CD 6: FIN, N, S

PCM 2.0 Multimedia Update CD Europa - Cayenne (CD 7)

PCM 2.0 Multimedia Update CD Europa - 911, Boxster (CD 8)

5bef_1.JPG

6b86_1.JPG

857f_1.JPG

Edited by juankimalo