Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Intermittent blower A/C fan problem

I have a strange problem in my heater / AC on Cayenne S 2004...

First in the morning when I head to work, the fan does not blow air at all.

Not even if I put it on MAX manually or anywhere in between.

After a couple of hours or so, standing in the parking lot, the fan starts working when I start the car again.

When it starts working, it works the whole day thru. No problems. But the initial startup seems to be the problem.

What can be the cause of this?

The car works otherwise 100% but the heater fan issue is truly annoying!

Any help / ideas would be highly appreciated!

• Moderators

Most often is a bad regulator, located in the fan housing area at the back of the glove box and easy to replace. If you got the chance swap him with an other one to check it out.

Most often is a bad regulator, located in the fan housing area at the back of the glove box and easy to replace. If you got the chance swap him with an other one to check it out.

I need to check this out. Thanks for the tip!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Bro,

Mine was doing the same thing. The other day I took the glove box off, and you are able to access the blower fan pretty easily (it is encased). You are able to take the motor right out of the casing. On mine I greased the bearing on the bottom of the motor (which was filled with dirt and grime also) and blew all the crap out with an air compressor. Has been working flawlessly now, I think it just got a little dry, and after a few minutes it would seize.

Hope that helps, it is a pretty easy DIY job if that is what it is.

Parajed

I checked the part number from the unit. Could this be the correct part? Number is 7L0907521

Can anyone confirm?

• 2 years later...

Hey Bro,

Mine was doing the same thing. The other day I took the glove box off, and you are able to access the blower fan pretty easily (it is encased). You are able to take the motor right out of the casing. On mine I greased the bearing on the bottom of the motor (which was filled with dirt and grime also) and blew all the crap out with an air compressor. Has been working flawlessly now, I think it just got a little dry, and after a few minutes it would seize.

Parajed

I checked the part number from the unit. Could this be the correct part? Number is 7L0907521

Can anyone confirm?

Does anyone have any pictures or a diagram of this procedure? Mine is making a horribly loud noise as if it's stuck but still trying to move. Sometimes it works, but mostly it doesn't anymore. The vehicle sat in the parking lot the last week because I was on vacation and now it's hardly ever working. It used to only be intermittent. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

• 5 years later...

Hi I'm hoping someone still has a cayenne on this thread I have a similar issue fan is running no Ac until 45 min into my drive then Ac runs perfectly . I can leave the car at work all day then drive go,e and it works perfectly from turning the key gremlins I know any ideas ? It's nice and cold when working it's a 2004 CTT

• 5 weeks later...

Your problem sounds like the AC compressor clutch is intermittently working. Some time if you switch of the engine and back on it might engage the compressor again and then the rest of the day it works fine. I have the same issue on a golf R I sold a while back. It was better if used often but if a few days left outside it would kick the compressor in first time and needed to off on the car once again.

Sounds like the temp regulator. My fan wouldnt blow at startup for a few minutes or sometimes wouldnt blow above min for a few minutes and intermittently the same thing during the day. Popped a new regulator in...done. I also replaced the fan while I was in there.

I dont think the compressor would have anything to do with the fan blowing or not.

Eric 

• 10 months later...
7 hours ago, high_rpm said:

@ericstaup, which temp regulator did you replace?  I'm having the same issue.

I think he is referring to the fan blower regulator which controls Fan speed. 

The temp regulator statement was directed at my post above for my AC compressor not kicking in and sometimes kicking out. 

• 1 year later...
On 6/29/2008 at 6:18 AM, parajed said:

Hey Bro,

Parajed

Hey Bro,

Thanks for the tip!  I know this is a (really) old post - but it's still relevant!  My 2005 Cayenne had the same issue where it would seem to get bogged down and make a light humming noise while the air coming out of the vents would be reduced or non-existent.

To clean I used brake cleaner to clear all the "gunk" and followed it by spraying ample silicon spray.

An interesting side note - after cleaning the fan I noticed it didn't move any easier by hand but it made a complete difference once re-installed.

No more bogged down, not more humming noise, plenty of air.

To think I almost spent $800 on a new blower fan and the often recommended regulator - neither of which were bad in the slightest (in my case...).  Just a dirty blower fan in need of a cleaning.