Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil Weight

TRabun

Have owned '95 993 for one year. Purchased from Wisconsin with fresh Mobile One15 W - 50 in the tank. C2, not TT. 6-speed tanny. Driven only 1,800 miles in past year. Used about 1/2 quart during year. Mostly highway, some local driving, no track events. I drive this 993 that way an air-cooled Porsche should be driven - no lugging, stays above 2,000 rpm on highway, 2,500 - 3,000 in-town. Keep a good pace on the road. Blow-it-out occasionally. Car has not run hot - very consistent at slightly above the mid=mark in hot weather, slow driving conditions.

Even though low miles, it's been a year so time to change oil and filters. Any advice on best weight synthetic oil to use? A friend said that oil (even if synthetic) as heavy as 15 W - 50 may cause valve sticking, that he's seen advisories recommending 5 W - 30. Seems kind'a light weight for coastal SC - mid-30's low in winter to 95-100 highs in summer. I beleive Mobile One comes in 10 W - 40, which would be in between.

Anything from the factory on this? Experience? The owner's manual is not helpful in this matter.

• 5 years later...

I know this topic has been discussed a lot and in many forums, but i would like to ask if anyone has experience with Castrol 10w60 sports edge on an air cooled engine?

I Live in Dubai where temperatures reach 130F in the summer, i always use 10W60 on my 996 C4S as i found it to be the most durable and protective oil for my 996, the mobil 1 0w40 and 5w40 is just too thin for this hot weather and burns very quickly...

now for my newly acquired 1997 993 targa, is it safe to assume 10w60 is also a good fit? or would that affect the hydraulic lifters on cold start-ups?

many thanks!

I know this topic has been discussed a lot and in many forums, but i would like to ask if anyone has experience with Castrol 10w60 sports edge on an air cooled engine?

I Live in Dubai where temperatures reach 130F in the summer, i always use 10W60 on my 996 C4S as i found it to be the most durable and protective oil for my 996, the mobil 1 0w40 and 5w40 is just too thin for this hot weather and burns very quickly...

now for my newly acquired 1997 993 targa, is it safe to assume 10w60 is also a good fit? or would that affect the hydraulic lifters on cold start-ups?

many thanks!

For many years I ran Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50 in my 993 Turbo. Blackstone UOA's were excellent. Yes, I know, this is a motorcycle oil. The other top rated aircooled Porsche oils are Brad Penn 20W50 and Motul (but I forget the number). Another to consider would be Joe Gibbs DT50.