Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Help With Sway Bar Instal

Since I'm AutoX'ing the Boxster I decided to replace the stock sway bars on my 2001 non-S Boxster with a rear M030 non-S sway and the front with a M030 S version. I have been looking at the Bentley manual and the rear looks relative simple but the front looks more complicated.

For the rear, I'm assuming the stock drop links will work and have a torque value of 37 Ft-lb, and the sway bar brackets get new bushings and then tightened to 17 Ft-lb?

For the front, same torque value on the lower drop link (37 Ft-lb). Looks like the bushings are located under boomerang shaped brackets with 4 bolts (2 for the sway bar bushings, 1 for the Diagonal Control arm, and one to the frame)? Does anyone know the torque values for these bolts and if I will need an alignment after undoing these? Do I need to tighten all bolts after the car is supported on all wheels, or can I just reassemble with the proper torque values and them just lower the car?

Summary or Torque Values - Rear:

Drop link bar ends - 37 Ft-lb

Bushing Bracket Bolts - 17 Ft-lb

Summary or Torque Values - Front:

Drop link bar ends - 37 Ft-lb

1st bolt (from the front) on Boomerang bracket - ??

2st bolt (from the front) on Boomerang bracket - ??

3st bolt (from the front) on Boomerang bracket - ??

4st bolt (from the front) on Boomerang bracket - ??

• Moderators

The car needs no alignment and you can tighten the bolds with the car on a lift, unfortunately i have no torque specs. for the bolts here ( holidays )

• Admin

Front:

Stabilizer to side member - 48 ftlb.

Stabilizer mount to stabilizer- 34 ftlb.

Stabilizer mount to shock-absorber tube and wheel carrier - 63 ftlb.

Rear:

Stabilizer to carrier side section - 17 ftlb.

to stabilizer mount - 34 ftlb

Stabilizer mount to spring strut/wheel carrier - 63 ftlb.

• 2 months later...

Loren,

I'm not familiar with your terminology. Could you please clarify?

"Stabilizer to side member" for the front ... is that the two bolts holding the bushing bracket?

Also, what torque to use for connecting the transverse control arm to the car frame? The 2nd bolt (from the front) on Boomerang bracket in Terry's original question.

TIA for your help,

Hung

• Admin
Loren,

"Stabilizer to side member" for the front ... is that the two bolts holding the bushing bracket?

Also, what torque to use for connecting the transverse control arm to the car frame? The 2nd bolt (from the front) on Boomerang bracket in Terry's original question.

TIA for your help,

Hung

post-1-1223908597_thumb.png

For example:

Front:

Stabilizer to side member - 48 ftlb. -- item 4

Stabilizer mount to stabilizer- 34 ftlb. -- item 8

Stabilizer mount to shock-absorber tube and wheel carrier - 63 ftlb. -- item 7

• 4 months later...

Loren, You don't seem to understand the question. He is ONLY asking about the bolts in the boomerang bracket.

Your pic designation of the #4 bolt includes 2 of the four bolts. What are the torque specs for the OTHER 2 bolts

in the BOOMERANG bracket?

Loren,

TIA for your help,

Hung

post-1-1223908597_thumb.png

For example:

Front:

Stabilizer to side member - 48 ftlb. -- item 4

Stabilizer mount to stabilizer- 34 ftlb. -- item 8

Stabilizer mount to shock-absorber tube and wheel carrier - 63 ftlb. -- item 7

Please point me to the item number - nowhere in the parts list is there anything called a "boomerang bracket".

You're absolutely right. I searched the parts manual and the workshop manual, also. I was reading this thread before I removed my stock front sway bar and

when I got under my car there is no question what the OP is referring to. It has the shape of a boomerang and has 4 bolts, 2 of which are what you refer to as

#4 in your diagram. There are, however, 2 OTHER bolts in the "boomerang" bracket, both different sizes than the #4 bolt in your diagram.

Also, I found your same diagram in the manual, but for the life of me I cannot find one anywhere that includes this bracket. For those of us having replaced our

front sway bar, we know that the diagram is partly wrong in that bolt #4 is inserted through the "boomerang" bracket from

the bottom up w/ the bolt-head facing down.

Does anyone know the proper name of this bracket? And provide torque specs for these other 2 bolts?

Edited by dtmarsh

Sorry. I was feeling plural that day :lol:

B

(The below torque specs were added to this post on 2/27 after Brad confirmed that "Plate" and "Corner Plate" are one in the same.)

So we're getting closer, but I don't think the OP's original question (and mine) has been answered decisively.

With your help I was able to look up the same diagrams and torque spec charts in my PET, but I still can't reliably match

them up to get the answer. So let me state again w/ a pic this time what are the torque specs for these 4 bolts? I think

Loren answered this question for the 2 sway bar u-bracket bolts on the left, but what about the 2 on the right?????

This pic is the left front plate. The front of the car is to right, rear to the left. The plastic piece is the brake duct.

From the OP:

1st bolt (from the front) on Boomerang bracket - ?? 74 ft lbs per Brad

2st bolt (from the front) on Boomerang bracket - ?? 118 ft lbs per Brad

3st bolt (from the front) on Boomerang bracket - ?? 48 ft lbs per Loren

4st bolt (from the front) on Boomerang bracket - ?? 48 ft lbs per Loren

post-12445-1235707509_thumb.jpg

Edited by dtmarsh

The torque is based on the size of the bolt. The number 2 bolt in your pic is the M14 bolt 118lb ft (BIG) and is listed in my POSES screen shot as "Corner Plate on body WITH diagonal arm and side member"

The number 1 bolt in your pic is the M12 bolt 74lb ft and is listed in my POSES screen shot as "Corner Plate on body"

I honestly cannot see how I could have been more clear confused24.gif

The problem I see: you don't know your bolt sizing :( If you had known which one was the M14, your could have worked out the rest.

B

Edited by Brad Roberts

The torque is based on the size of the bolt. The number 2 bolt in your pic is the M14 bolt 118lb ft (BIG) and is listed in my POSES screen shot as "Corner Plate on body WITH diagonal arm and side member"

The number 1 bolt in your pic is the M12 bolt 74lb ft and is listed in my POSES screen shot as "Corner Plate on body"

I honestly cannot see how I could have been more clear confused24.gif

The problem I see: you don't know your bolt sizing :( If you had known which one was the M14, your could have worked out the rest.

B

Brad, Thanks for your help. Any ambiguity leaves room for assumption, thus my pursuit for clarity. We've gone from referring to the

part in question as "boomerang bracket" (OP) to "plates" to "plate" to "Corner Plate." I do have some understanding of bolt sizes, but

could not be certain of the part when the torque specs refer to "Corner Plate" and we were calling it simply "Plate." Adjectives define ("Corner")

and this one was missing in our naming, but apparent in the torque specs, thus the ambiguity. I was left wondering if there could possibly

be torque specs for a "Plate."

The problem I see: We need to be more clear. Had we just called the part by its name at the outset we could have seen that the "Corner Plate" torque specs you so kindly

posted match the name of the part and therefore eliminate any ambiguity or confusion. Precision is a beautiful thing and the way to be more clear.

I have been to receiving end of your help and I thank you for it. Have a great weekend and let me know if I can return the favor. What a great Forum.

Keep up the great work.

So I got everything buttoned up and all is well. I also verified the torque specs on the 2 diagonal braces that have to be removed before

even getting to the Corner Plate. So looking up these braces in the PET, they are called simply "strut" (996 504 433 00), but in the repair manual the torque

spec is under the name "Diagonal brace" even though there are 2 of them. Is Porsche really trying to make us crazy? Is there some good reason they can't

call a part by one name consistantly?? I need therapy;-)

Edited by dtmarsh

• 6 years later...

So to summarise:

527584d1302558034-front-swaybar-removal-

1 = 74 ft lb = “Corner plate on body”

2 = 118 ft lb = “Corner plate on body with diagonal arm and side member”

3 = 48 ft lb = “Corner plate on side member

4 = 48 ft lb = “Corner plate on side member”

5 = 74 ft lb = “Diagonal brace on body”

6 = 74 ft lb = “Diagonal brace on side member”