Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New work on car day WOCD?

Hello All,

I would be interested in doing some preventive maintenance on my car (AOS + oil filler tube).

I am sure I could use a few pointers on how to successfully tackle those jobs.

It might be too much but I also have an alternative project if anybody is interested. Replacing the top with a new glass window one. We could fully document the procedure for others or have a few participants run that project in parallel on multiple cars.

Sacramento is not that close for me but I really enjoyed meeting the team last time.

Thanks !!!!

Renaud.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello All,

I would be interested in doing some preventive maintenance on my car (AOS + oil filler tube).

I am sure I could use a few pointers on how to successfully tackle those jobs.

It might be too much but I also have an alternative project if anybody is interested. Replacing the top with a new glass window one. We could fully document the procedure for others or have a few participants run that project in parallel on multiple cars.

Sacramento is not that close for me but I really enjoyed meeting the team last time.

Thanks !!!!

Renaud.

The AOS is a quick 1-3 hour job on a Boxster and I'd be more then willing to help you out with it. I've done one once already,no biggie.

Now if it's a 996........

Hello blinkwatt,

Thank you for offering to help, I might take you up on that !!!!

I can still wait a few months as I don't even get a puff of smoke, it is really as preventive maintenance as my car is now 8 years old.

I would rather fix it now than wait for it to fail and have the car towed to the dealer.

Let see if we get any other replies, if not I will contact you within the next couple of months.

Thanks !!!!

Renaud.

I haven't been on this site in a while and specifically came on here tonight to see about a Sacramento WOCD. What luck! I'm definitely up for a WOCD and was thinking we should try to squeeze one in this September before the rain starts falling.

Renaud, I agree with Blink that the AOS on a Boxster would not be much of an issue. Are you talking about a Boxster or a Cab 911? As for the new top... well I don't know about the 911, but I know on the Boxster it's not really recommended as a DIY project. There was just some discussion about this on the 986forum. Evidently fitting it yourself and getting it perfect can be quite difficult. The one guy who did it himself still had to take it to a shop to get the final bugs worked out, but at least he saved a ton in labor costs. I don't want to discourage you. I thoroughly believe that most jobs like this can be handled as a DIY project, but you just might not want to tackle this one so far from home. It might be better to do the top at home and have a nearby shop as a back up in case you need some finishing help or even a total install. I'd just make sure you find a shop that's done tops like this before.

Kirk

Hello Kirk,

September would be great !!!

My car is a Boxster and while changing the AOS, I would change the oil filler tube (definitely has some oil residue) and clean the throttle body while in there.

I agree regarding the top, I just wanted to check if anybody had done it or would want to try it. I will have a shop do it after our WOCD since engine access is restricted with the glass window.

I have a decent garage but I am located in Benicia so you would probably prefer to find a host in the Sacramento region.

Renaud.

My car is a Boxster and while changing the AOS, I would change the oil filler tube (definitely has some oil residue) and clean the throttle body while in there.

I just took the throttle body off my car, so I can help with that job. It's not too hard. What year Boxster do you have, a standard or S? Would you need to change the whole oil filler tube or is there just an o-ring that can be changed out? I'm kind of curious about that job because it looks like I might get some oil seeping from my oil filler tube or dip stick tube too. I get a couple drops of oil on the garage floor once in a while. I'm not worried about it, but I may want to fix mine too eventually.

Kirk

• 2 weeks later...

Still no interest in a WOCD? I've got TONS of projects for my car now, but unfortunately I don't know if any would be good for a WOCD or if I can wait to save anything until we get one organized!!! :D I'm going to study a little this holiday weekend (working on my MBA), but otherwise I'll be working on the car.

Current Projects, August 2008:

Speaker/Stereo System

I'm making dash pods for larger speakers in the dash. Almost finished one last night and need to make another. Then I've got to figure out how to wrap them in vinyl (never done that before).

I've got amps and 10" subs that I need to install.

I've got an EQ, parametric EQ and time delay device, head unit, and surround sound processor I need to install.

Various power and speaker wiring needs to be done.

Body

I should have some carbon fiber mirror housings in the mail very shortly. Hopefully I can install those this weekend.

Suspension

I'll have new JRZ coilovers and springs next Wednesday. I'm missing some parts though. I need to figure out what I'm missing, get it ordered, get those on, then get the car aligned and corner weighted.

I'm going to buy the tools myself to do the alignment. I need to get those and test my skills first with the current/known alignment.

Anyone here (Sacramento area) have scales for the corner weighting? I may have to buy my own, ~$1,000.

I'll be getting a GT3 front sway bar at the end of September. Sooner or later I'll need to get a Tarett rear bar to match it.

:P I'm busy!!!

Kirk

• Admin
Chuck is looking at putting something together - maybe in early October (when it is cooler).

Stay tuned....

Thanks Loren that would be good.

Do you think it would be possible to install some AWE cats and AWE headers at a WOCD?

Martin

Using the hoist would make this a lot easier.

Two things to make sure of...

1. That your O2 sensors will fit the cats (or you will get a CEL)

2. Buy new bolts, nuts and gaskets (both top and bottom) for the headers. Even on an almost new car they can break.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Another item for the WOCD...

We are considering asking MARS (Mobile Appearance Reconditioning Service) to be there if there is enough interest.

They do clear bra, scratch and dent repair, windshield repair, and many more things.

If you think this is a good idea and have some work for them please post here so we can get them scheduled up for the next WOCD.

Any big jobs can be scheduled at the WOCD and done later too...

Loren, I saw your other recent post about the new renntech discount from MARS, which couldn't have showed up at a better time for me. My Boxster baby is in desperate need of their services. However, if they come to the next WOCD, I don't want to hog all their time. So, I'd definitely be interested if they're going to be there. If my car is going to take too long & others are interested in their services, I'd definitely just schedule my car with them outside the WOCD. I can always find something to do or some way to help at the WOCD.

Anne

• Admin
Loren, I saw your other recent post about the new renntech discount from MARS, which couldn't have showed up at a better time for me. My Boxster baby is in desperate need of their services. However, if they come to the next WOCD, I don't want to hog all their time. So, I'd definitely be interested if they're going to be there. If my car is going to take too long & others are interested in their services, I'd definitely just schedule my car with them outside the WOCD. I can always find something to do or some way to help at the WOCD.

Anne

Anne, you don't need to wait for the next WOCD. If you have some work for them to do then give them a call or email.

Some things just take time - even a good clear bra install takes 4 hours or so.

• 2 weeks later...

I was considering having them do some chip repair...but when the body shop repainted the dent in the side (hit and run in parking lot), the heat from the drying booth cracked the windshield right over the rock chip, so they gave me a brand new windshield out of the deal....can't complain!!