Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ignition Switch Issue, Revisited

A couple of months ago I followed the DIY (thank you -- very helpful!) and replaced my ignition switch ('01 996tt) to address an intermittent issue I was having with the key not releasing (no electrical issues, just the key not turning all the way to release from time to time). I replaced it with a new switch from my local Audi dealer. The same day after putting in the new switch, the key would not release once again with the new switch in place. In the past couple of months, it has happened a few more times. It can take up to 10 minutes of turning the key back and forth until it turns all the way back and releases.

I figure one of two things could be wrong: #1) The new ignition switch is broken (was broken when I got it), or #2) There's something wrong with the entire switch lock assembly.

I know that the easy way to figure this out would be to buy another new ignition switch and replace it. If the problem still occurs, it's probably not the switch, but the entire assembly. But before I do that, I thought I would ask here to see if there are known issues with the lock assembly itself apart from the switch that might cause this key not releasing issue. About $50 (swtich) vs $500 (entire assembly) to fix?

Thanks for any input.

The whole lock assembly is US MSRP $135.81. 996.347.017.07

Thanks Loren. I was thinking it would be close to $500 including labor, since replacing the whole lock assembly is probably beyond my meger mechanical abilities.

The whole lock assembly is US MSRP $135.81. 996.347.017.07

Thanks Loren. I was thinking it would be close to $500 including labor, since replacing the whole lock assembly is probably beyond my meger mechanical abilities.

I am on #4 now. The last one did not exhibit any electrical gremlins but it the key kept getting stuck. Although I can change it out in less than 10 minutes, it has turned into a PITA. I am tired of carrying a spare in the door bin! I plan to replace the entire assembly next time which is what I should have done in the first place.

What a coincidence. Mine just went out on me yesterday and I'm taking it in to get it replaced on Monday. Got the battery disconnected on my car right now since I wasn't able to remove the key in the proper spot so the car electrical system was still engaged. Gonna cost me $600. :(

Thanks for the replies. I just bought two new ignition switches online. I bought the first one I replaced from the Audi dealer, because I figured that OEM might be better quality than non-OEM, but considering that the new Audi switch I put in had problems with the key getting stuck right away, this time I'm going with the less expensive online option. I bought two just in case I need another one sooner than later (for the same shipping cost). The factory switch that came with the car lasted 7 years, and the new Audi one I put in had the key getting stuck after the first two turns. If it turns out to be a problem with the entire lock assembly, it might mean a trip to the dealer for me in the future (but I hope not).

• 2 weeks later...

Update -- I replaced the ignition switch (again), and after about 10 problem free turns of the key, it intermittently gets stuck once again. I am assuming that it is not another bad swtich (2 in a row bad new switches seems unlikely), but rather that the whole lock assembly is faulty in some way. I guess it's time to read up on that DIY.

Hey Guys,

I just changed out my ignition switch and cutch switch and now the key turns to easy and I can pull the key out at any position and the accessories stay on all the time. Should I change out the part that the key goes in, and if so can I just take out the part the key goes in or do i have to take the whole assembly out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My car is at the dealer right now. I have maybe the rest of today to make a decision on this.

First symptom was with the engine running the headlights wouldn't turn on, nor the heater fan. I found if I turned the key to the left maybe 1/4" I heard a click and all was well electrically. Then when I turned the key to the left to turn off the car, I could continue to turn it another 1/2" but with some effort and when I let go it would return to the resting off position. The key would come out OK, but was now hard to re-insert. I had to lock the car or else I would get the key still in ignition warning.

I think they said I need a new ignition lock assembly. Parts and labor is over $800 and not covered by CPO. Is this a possible DIY?

Edited by deckman

I think they said I need a new ignition lock assembly. Parts and labor is over $800 and not covered by CPO. Is this a possible DIY?

My dealer quoted me about $600, parts and labor, to replace the entire ignition assembly. There is a nice write-up for a DIY on this site.

I think the two options are 1) replace the entire ignition assembly (either the cheaper DIY or the expensive dealer charge) and be done with it, shouldn't happen again, or 2) replace just the ignition switch yourself (good DIY on this site, and even I can do it) for much cheaper, knowing that it might fail again in the future.

Deckman,

I was quoted a similar figure from the dealer. I replaced just the switch with the Audi part and it has worked fine ever since. And it really is only a 15 minute job if you only replace the switch.

I just read the DIY article. Screw the dealer, I can do this. It still pisses me off this isn't covered under CPO warranty. One more day of unplanned tinkering.

deckman -- I would replace just the ignition switch as a DIY for now (you can buy the part from either a VW or Audi dealer, or online for much cheaper at a few days wait). It isn't nearly as complicated as replacing the entire assembly. Then if/when it fails again, you can order the ignition switch assembly online for cheaper and plan for the time to replace the entire assembly. Hopefully, the new switch alone will cure your problem and last for a few years.

deckman -- I would replace just the ignition switch as a DIY for now (you can buy the part from either a VW or Audi dealer, or online for much cheaper at a few days wait). It isn't nearly as complicated as replacing the entire assembly. Then if/when it fails again, you can order the ignition switch assembly online for cheaper and plan for the time to replace the entire assembly. Hopefully, the new switch alone will cure your problem and last for a few years.

i just bought ignition swith on ebay 20.00 shipping included....make sure it is either the new or old versiion

• 4 weeks later...
I just finished ordering a switch, when I got a text message from the dealer saying Porsche would cover the cost. Anyone want a switch for free?

Hi, I think I'm having ignition problems on my 01 996TT, what kind of ingnition switch did you get? If it will work on my car and you still have it, I'll take it! Let me know, thanks!