Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Anyone in 100k mile club

Bought My 2002 Boxster S last Sept and it came with 161K miles (instant 100K club member). Engine still Puuurss and still shift crisp. Put on 5K miles and am looking at some minor repair on coolant leaks. It's my daily driver and loving it smile.gif

Just hit 185K ... wheeee!! 12/12/12

Edited by hanuman

• 1 month later...

133xxx on my '99 Boxster, bought in '04 with 50k miles.

City/highway/long road trips living in Philadelphia and Lehigh Valley, PA.

mpg:17-24. max: 28mpg highway.

MAJOR: clutch right after I bought it.

MINOR: MAF sensor, just like everyone else, and routine maintenance since then.

Burns no oil, loses no fluids.

Mobil One every 15000 miles, just like Porsche says.

More reliable than any of the Hondas I've owned. No lie.

My '05 Cayenne Turbo has to be babied or it'll fall apart. The boxster: bulletproof.

99 Boxster 150,xxx, i bought it with 77,000 in 07

no major service yet

cracked expantion tank soon after I bought it, alternator and belt last year (I did it, even local mechanic wanted crazy money), other regular stuff

very reliable, now if seats were only cheaper

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking to hear from other high mileage owners. How many miles does your Boxster have and what have you put into it to keep it going.

I purchased a MY99 Boxster used from a dealer in 2004 with 30k miles on it. It has been great. Aside from routine maintenance (tires, brakes, rotors, etc.) I have only had to have it in the shop one time for CEL gremlins which turned out to be MAF and low radiator fluid. Today it is in the shop for the 90k service. It is also getting a new clutch, front brakes & rotors, and front engine mount.

I'm looking to 100k and beyond!

Happy motoring!

-pvaughan

:renntech:

100,000 mile club?? How about the 200,000 mile club? I have a 2001 Boxster 2.7 with 209,000 miles on it. It's my daily driver, I have owned this 986 since 2003. No major issues, I have replaced brakes, windshield, battery, water pump (at 204,000 miles), and many sets of tires. I don't track it but drive pretty hard, I like to hear those RPM's hit 6k but I don't care much for the speeding tickets. I change the oil every 3500 - 4000 miles, using Mobil 1 5W30. I believe it's important to get the car up to temp after start-up (10 minutes/miles) to ensure no water moisture remains in the oil system after shut-down. DRIVE THOSE BOXSTERS!

Enjoy!

Jager

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You're out of your mind. :)

Bulletproof over Hondas? I don't think so.

Just wait for your $10 ignition relay to fail. It's going to take an hour or two to get under the dash to replace it (that's if you're not fat).

Then wait for the Airbag light to come on.

I've own my Boxster for only six months. Although I love to drive it, I wouldn't say it's more reliable than a Honda or bulletproof. :)

133xxx on my '99 Boxster, bought in '04 with 50k miles.

City/highway/long road trips living in Philadelphia and Lehigh Valley, PA.

mpg:17-24. max: 28mpg highway.

MAJOR: clutch right after I bought it.

MINOR: MAF sensor, just like everyone else, and routine maintenance since then.

Burns no oil, loses no fluids.

Mobil One every 15000 miles, just like Porsche says.

More reliable than any of the Hondas I've owned. No lie.

My '05 Cayenne Turbo has to be babied or it'll fall apart. The boxster: bulletproof.

• 1 month later...

For the 100K+ mile members, how often do you change your oil now? Still stick to the 10k/change schedule? I've been changing every 5K miles and wonder if I'm doing it too frequently - driving is 60/40% between highway/city. I've got 112xxx on the odo.

Edited by shyster77

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't notice an introduction thread so I figures this would be a great place, my Boxster just turned 50K and plan on running it past 100 to join the club. Been lurking for some time enjoying all the stories and tech guys offering advice. I just had the RMS/IMS updates done and feel much better after reading all the horror stories on here. Congrats to all in the 100K club!

Here's my '99!

photo7.jpg

• 1 month later...

I am new to this forum.

I just purchased a 99 boxster yesterday to be my daily driver. it turned 51k miles on the drive home. I just wanted to comment on engine longevity.

I previously owned a 2003 saab 9-3 vector auto. These cars were notorious for not lasting very long. I just sold it with 278k miles to a lucky person. I see alot of similarities between these cars service intervals. The saab called out for oil changes every 20k miles, but I changed the oil every 3k with mobil1 0w40. The transmission was a huge complaint from customers and they were notoriously un-reliable. In the manual it stated that the transmission never needed the fluid changed, I disagree! I changed the fluid in it every 20-30k miles. It was these simple things that allowed me to drive that car for so many reliable miles.

I have been hunting for a boxster to use as my daily commuter for some time now, and finally found one that had the service history that I had been searching so diligently for. The previous owner kept meticulous records, and took ridiculously good car of the car. I plan on piling the miles on this vehicle as well. I will be driving roughly 108 miles a day to work.

I understand that over changing your fluids can cause some inherent issues so, I plan on analyzing my oil in documented intervals until I find the optimal change point for me. I also am planning on checking all systems for possible quality issues that may be leading to failures. My wife thinks I am strange because I am actually setting up a DFmea for this car and running through known failures, their occurrence rate, and their severity to generate a RPN # and will alert me to which systems may be in the most dire need of attention.

Hopefully all goes well.

Andrew Kirton

Purchased my 2000 Boxster S with 130,000 miles a couple of months ago. The motor is a rebuilt motor out of a 2001 Boxster S that had over 200,000 miles when it was rebuilt. It was running fine when it was rebuilt for a track motor. The original engine in my Boxster had a waterpump that lost its impellers and lit the overheating warning light. The owner thought he could drive it back to the shop. He did, but the motor was damaged by the temp and likely cracked a cylinder head. The '01 engine was pulled out of the shop's track car and put into the '00. The '01 has LN upgraded IMS and other goodies!

The lower control arms front and rear had been replaced as well as a new top with a glass window. New wheel bearings were installed on the rear as well. The car is bark blue with a tan leather interior. I have installed a shift assembly out of a 997 and also a GT 3 console kit which removes the console that is below the dash/radio. It gives me needed leg room.

I drive 100 miles per day, just like the prior owner. Removing the Secondary Air Injection system is next on my list along with headers and de-snorkle. Pedro of Pedro's Garage is going to reset my DME so that the SAI will not be monitored and can be removed without a CEL. I will get a tune after the headers and de-snorkle are finished.

Edited by maj75

I bought my 2000 2.7 with 115k miles on it in May. It has 118k now. No leaks, shifts perfectly, motor is silky smooth, especially at idle, suspension tight as a drum, no shakes or shimmies. Original clutch which is still in good shape. I get the classic clatter for a second on startup. Previous owner says most of the miles were highway, which I tend to believe since it averages to around 10k miles/year. I have his records and it was fairly well maintained at dealerships, but the oil change records are spotty. Looks he went by the book, 10k+ miles between changes.

I've done oil analyses 3 times (did 2, 1k mile flushes)and they showed high iron in the first analysis but the iron levels have steadily gone down in subsequent tests. A few tiny bits of plastic in the filter and when I dropped the sump, again, just a few little bits of plastic, but I'm not concerned.

I've had to do the usual repairs, waterpump, motor mount, coolant tank, AOS, gearbox oil change, PS oil flush, fuel filter. Once I need a clutch, I'll do the IMSB, in the meantime, everytime its up in the air I use a stethescope to listen to the IMSB housing and IMS chain tensioner and both are quiet.

Its pretty well sorted out so on the weekends I just have to bathe and caress it.

The car is blast, I love it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Bought my 2000 S at 89k last April as an early 30th birthday to myself. It had had it's motor swapped out for a 25k donor at 85k, the transmission rebuilt, AOS replaced, cabrio top R&R, and a single wheel bearing R&R.

It immediately chewed up it's water pump once I had driven 4 hours into the sticks for a friends wedding in which I was best man. The father of the bride and I fixed it at a gas station with an overnighted NAPA unit, miscellaneous hand tools purchased at the local walmart (only place around) and the jack pulled out of someone's F-150. We received a round of applause after arriving back at the wedding 1 hour ahead of the ceremony after fixing the car everyone said would have to be towed back to the city.

After the water pump, I did a brake job and oil / plugs / filters change and then took the car on a 10,000 mile solo roadtrip across the U.S. and Canada. I drove the absolute hell out of it -- triple digit blasts through every mountain range from colorado to canadian rockies and all the way down to southern california. My only problems were a couple of impact sidewall bubbles from rough roads that caused me to have to replace tires, some brake screeching that went away with hard use, an exhaust rattle that was fixed by tightening up the fasteners, and the development of a loose axle nut, which recently diagnosed and tightened.

After getting back to New York, I got caught in an intense downpour on the Henry Hudson and got my coils wet. The car went into a bad misfire condition and had to left at a gas station. I picked it up after the rain had subsided and it drove ok, but still seemed to have a miss below 3k under heavy load. I changed the plugs, but that actually seemed to worsen it, although downshifting makes it go away.

It threw a CEL for the secondary air injection, although it went away when I got the car back out after not driving it for a month. Driving in NYC has also been hard on the front suspension -- it's developed a front end rattle that I think may be a tie rod.

The car is now at 108k, and I am planning to completely replace all of the ignition coils and spark plug tubes, as well as doing a service on the front suspension, replacing tie rod ends and bushings.

I bought an extra set of 17" wheels and winter tires so I can get some use out of it during the colder months. I plan to throw cheap, super-sticky hankooks on my factory 18"s and use these as autocross / out-of-town fast driving wheels and keep the winter wheels on for when I'm just in town to avoid curb rash.

People said I was insane for buying a cheap Boxster and taking it on the road for months with a tent, frying pan, and hand tools, and they're probably right. I just drove the car top down in (mild) snow flurries down the west side highway -- can't get enough, I am in love!

See you in the spring!

• 3 weeks later...

My '99 Boxster Tiptronic turned 100K yesterday on a winding, challenging Fort Ross Rd. that goes from Hwy 1 into Healdsburg. I bought her with 74K miles three years ago and have not regretted one day of ownership. The only repair of a failure I've made so far has been a water pump replacement. I've kept up all regular maintenance with 5K mi. oil and filter changes. It has been the best and most fun car I've ever owned and I'm looking forward to another 100K with her.

• 4 months later...

My 2001 Boxster has 173,000 miles and runs perfect. Very minimal issues for the miles. I have replaced the clutch this last year, and had some oil leaks fixed. Top needs to be replaced due to window separating from canvas. I obviously drive a lot for work. I do keep the oil changed and try not to abuse it by driving too crazy. Had repainted and carpet replaced recently, looks very nice considering age/miles. I plan on seeing how long I can keep it going great.

• 2 months later...

2001 2.7L, purchased in 2006 @57k miles. Went over the century mark in May of 2010. Now at 123K miles as of Aug 2012.

Axle bearing, cv boots, AOS, coolant resoviour, engine mount, water pump, two sets of tires. 997 short shifter. Otherwise stock. Use for daily drive.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2000 Boxster S purchased with 110,000 miles and I love it. I prefer to do my own work, I dont trust others work, I have replaced, AOS all O-rings and seals related to AOS, resealed oil pan, replaced motor mount, installed Porsche short shifter, Replaced IMS, replaced exhaust gaskets, de carboned air injection circut and replaced related seals, de snork, B&B exhaust, drilled a 1 1/4 hole through secondary cats temporaraly untill purchase of cat delete, K&N air filter, spark plugs, spark plug tubes, HT spark leads, cleaned and replace everything related to intake system, replaced injectors, cleaned fuel rail, replaced fuel filter changed dash lighting to blue led, Installed Alpine system with Infinity capa speakers in dash and rear storage tray and Kicker 6.5 subwoffers in door 2 alpine amps 350w four chanel and 300w mono sub, repaired motor for rear air spoiler (shorted brush spring, repired with ball point pen spring) repaired drivers door latch window microswitch (used teflon sheet between switch and door lock cam), Replaced L & R radiators, water pump (porsche part) low temp motorad T-Stat, serpintine belt, brakes, heater blend door foam repair, replaced crusty wiring inside litronics with overkill avionics wire,added fourth stalk for OBC, and countless smaller items and I have less in parts than it cost my buddy to have his IMS done by the local Indie and I wasent without my car for nearly two months. :cursing: Now I am planning my attack on the suspension! :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Just crossed the 100k miles mark...

I bought my '98 Boxster in 2007. It came with 16" wheels - I replaced them with 18" wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Max Summer Performance tires. Replaced front and rear brake pads and sensors, painted calipers red, replaced shift knob with short shift silver / black, added spoiler button, garage door opener button, replaced convertible top transmissions. I did the 60k miles maintenance - oil change, fuel filter, spark plugs, polyrib belt, cleaned radiators, replaced air and cabin filters. Then I replaced all amber lights with LED lights and clear side markers, euro LED clear rear lights, and added Xenon lights (6k). Did the 75k maintenance, repalced parking brake switch, replaced hinge on the console, replaced all 4 O2 sensors, and just completed 100k maintenance (changed spark plugs, coil packs, air filter). Shortly after 99,000 miles the car started hesitating. Loren suggested a new MAF sensor - I replaced it and the car runs great again.

Next spring I am planning on replacing the water pump / thermostat (just in case) and take a look at the suspensions, tie rod, bushings, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

joined only today and guess I'm a member of the >100,000 miles club with 155,555 miles on my '99 Boxster that I bought used 3.5 years ago. So far I had to change clutches, brakes, struts, oil-seperator, well and tires ... Loving the car and can't see myself not driving it anytime soon!

Rolf

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, a new kid on the block here :-)

Just bought my first Boxster MY00 2.7L a few days ago, so can't quite contribute a lot with experience. Its at 122,000Km at the moment. Already clocked like 1500 of them myself in 4 days and enjoyed every minute of it. Reading through all the car's history that was provided to me, it did have some things changed some a bit expensive and some not, but I just had to replace all four wheels and windscreen just to make it pass the Road Worthiness Certificate tests to register it in my state ( a bunch of red tape and a legal robbery from the state). So far it already costed me around $1500 just to do that, but am looking forward and hoping for a long time of pleasure in return. A problem I also have is I have no remote locking/unlocking but I'm suspecting that's because the only key provided to me is not even the actual car key, only one button on it, with no Porsche logo, and it only turns a tiny light on.

Glad to join this big community here, and I hope I can somehow be of any help as much as I would need help myself :-).

Cheers and regards.

• 1 month later...

I've been a member of Renntech for awhile but haven't posted before. I bought my 99 Boxster December of 06, so I've owned it for 6 years. It had 85k on it when I bought it and it now has 115K. I've only done routine maintenance on it: oil, filters, pads, light bulbs, but I do have a engine light on and I guess I need to replace the MAF. I also had a problem with the air bag warming light. I bought a diagnostic tool, reset it and it has never come back on, so no repair was done. The Boxster is a great car! I had a 944 before and I loved it too. The Boxster is smoother, faster, better handling and I love the heated seats but there are things I miss about the 944. I have considered getting a different car but nothing else would be an improvement except for maybe a 911. The Boxster is my daily car and I drive it in all weather conditions. I think until something major happens, I'll just keep on enjoying my Boxster.

• 2 weeks later...

2001 boxster 2.7, 127,000 miles . Repaired or replaced all the normal stuff, had a cel light on for over a year. 0421 , either a wiring issue or need new cats. Likely going with cat less headers if I can figure out how to delete o2 sensors. Great car, looks great, seems to be a magnet for assholes who like to mess with others cars, welcome to Kentucky...I love my porsche, it's looks, it's sound as it passes 3000rpm, and of course...topless

• 1 month later...

Stopped by my local Porsche dealer this morning to kick tires and sit in a new Boxster. I own a 1999 986. I have 142,000 miles. Met a man there who drove his 2000 986 who had over 350,000. I was impressed...

Edited by jccash
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...