Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Anyone in 100k mile club

Just passed 100k miles on my 2000 Boxster S on Feb 5, and still love the car to pieces. It's got that classic rattle on startup, but the engine runs pretty smooth. Replaced the entire power steering system last year, done the brakes twice since I bought it in Oct 2010, and replaced the tires twice, as well. Water pump blew not too long after I got it, so had to replace that. Probably need to replace the AOS and rings soon, and there's apparently a slight oil leak on top of the engine, as well as needing to replace one of the A/C compressors. Shifts wonderfully, but could probably benefit from a gear box oil change. Would probably also benefit from replaced coil packs. Just ordered a new top with a glass window, should be here this week. Installing that myself on Saturday!

• 3 months later...

Reached 100k today in my 02. Solid as a rock, looks almost like new. All the major trouble spots upgraded about 10k miles ago, including IMS upgrade kit, clutch, etc. Probably need suspension soon, but other than that, still loving it.. :thumbup:

Edited by markwoodlief

• 1 month later...

I have problems, unfortunately. A couple weeks ago, driving home when the tranny started slipping in my 2001 tiptronic. Crap! Crawled a few blocks home and had it towed to a repair shop. Did a maitenance service on the tranny and no joy. Talked to Porsche dealer here and said $6800 for a replacement. ****! Went out and got a used one from automotix, or some such name. Had it installed and the thing started leaking tranny fluid right away. I need a tranny that will work. The car is worth about 12K, but I am already into in for 1.5K and with another tranny replacement it will be another 4K on top of that. This is what I hate about old Porsches and I have had many. Getting rid of them is a royal pain in the *** when stuff starts to break. I mean really? A tranny for a 2001 Porsche, which are supoosed to be bullet proof for 3-4K ?? What should I do here, any suggestions?

• 3 months later...

Didn't make it :-( 97k irreparable head crack from water pump impeller failure. Trying to source good drivers side head for 2003-4 Boxster S to get it back on the road. Otherwise economically repair doesn't make sense

Edited by jesiv

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

2001 S here, with 145K miles on it.  In short:  at 138K (when I too posession of the car) I overhauled the engine due to a cracked head, replaced the clutch/plate ($8K). Left gear box intact but flushed the tranny fluid.  At 141K I overhauled the suspension including a ROW M030 kit, new springs, and all new mounting hardware, overhauled the brake calipers, new rotors and pads, completely re-did the calipers with new paint and decals, flushed the fluid, new lines, new tires (Michellin Pilot Super Sports), and new diagonal control arms ($7K).  New complete sound system. The list goes on.  The car drives nice.  I'm a complete idiot.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

'03 Boxster S with 180K miles (300Km)....still runs like new! 

IMO, these are some of the secrets:

> Use it EVERY DAY (rainy days / winter included)

> Go high in RMP (3-5k average), avoiding passing 6k in older engines

> NEVER push the car before reaching running temperature (a real no-go)

> Keep it very clean, particularly the undercarriage and engine components, to avoid general degradation by contaminants.

> Use good quality silicone lubricants, as all plastics in the car will start to deteriorate, pretty much at the same time!

Edited by JuncoJones

• 5 weeks later...

2000 S - will cross 160K miles this weekend...

JuncoJones summarizes my experience so far too...bought the car with 58.5K miles, 7/2006 and been driving, ever since!

Parts replaced due to failure

1) AC Compressor - 1

2) Water Pump - 1

3) AOS - 1

4) Convertible transmissions - 2

5) Coolant tank - 1

6) Engine mount - 1

7) MAF - 1 + 1 (as of 3/1/2016 @ 163K) :)

8) Original clutch and IMS upgrade @ 135K miles - 1

Other than the above, regular maintenance with fluids, brakes and tires, with oil changed at 7.5K miles intervals.

Edited by Vish_ster

We have a 'family' owned since new 1998 Base Boxster Arctic Silver Met

Just hit 118k

AOS Replaced  2014

IMS  just replaced 2015

RMS just replaced 2015

1st new clutch since 1998 just replaced with new flywheel 2015

Front and rear Springs and struts replaced 2014

Sway bar bushings replaced 2014

Coolant Res replaced 2014

Trans fluid changed 2013

Optima Red top fitted 2014

Boxster S Oil cooler fitted with 160 deg thermostat 2013

Everything has been kept as original as possible as this is a car we hope to pass onto our son as it has more sentimental value than monetary value. It was my wife's Uncles daily driver, then onto my father inlaw before passing to us.

Normal oil and maint done yearly since new in 1998 we have all the records and docs for every service since new in 1998

The car is Ax'ed every year and runs like a top!

:)

Edited by mcmike27

• 2 months later...

It is finally here, I hit 100,000 miles today.  It was strange to see all of those digits roll over on the odometer.  I felt my heart sink a little bit.  I will never forget the day, May 25, 2000, nearly 16 years ago that I bought and first drove this car home from Scottsdale Porsche.  It was actually the first time I had ever driven a Porsche, only having ridden in the back of my friend's dad's 911 in the late 1980's...a beautiful red cabriolet.  It was then that I was hooked and decided that I would someday own one of these beautiful machines.  In a somewhat lucky turn of events I made a fair amount of money in my first start-up company and decided to blow some of it on my first (and only...so far) Porsche, $51,140 for a silver base Boxster Tiptronic.  It is certainly not the most glamorous Porsche and certainly not worth much anymore these days, but it has provided years of driving joy and has turned me into somewhat of a gearhead.  Working on this car is like therapy for me after long, arduous days and weeks of work...or life.  It has provided me the opportunity to learn so much about not only Porsches, but cars in general...I didn't even know how to change my own oil until about 8 years ago.  I have kept track of every penny I've spent on this car, keeping it mostly stock, but still running nearly as perfectly as she did day one...$17,594.10 put into her thus far. 

Most recently, a new pair of rear tires, Michelin Pilot Sport AS3's for $420.28; I repainted the brake calipers; put in some new rear control arms; replaced the passenger window regulator.  This weekend, an oil service with Mobil 1 5W-50.  Near future, a new AOS and rear suspension rebuild (annoying popping noises on bumps and sharp turns).  I never have done the infamous IMS bearing, and hoping not to see any metal in the filter or on the magnetic drain plug this time around either.

The only major issue I've had is the transmission go out due to a failed oil cooler which resulted in a nasty intermix, effectively burning out all the fiber clutches.  I did nearly all the work myself to rebuild it.  I keep thinking that surely I did something wrong, but that was more than 3 years and 8,000 miles ago.  I have a very tiny tapping noise, possibly a sticky lifter or two, or maybe something is just loose somewhere.  I have a recurring P1276 code, so I probably need a new O2 sensor, but it has been gone for over 3 months now...it is probably about ready to illuminate again.

Not too many regrets with this car.  I did buy a Tiptronic because there was a six month wait when I went to the dealer, but someone had backed out of this one, which had everything I wanted...except it was a Tip...and it was available.  I still wish I had the manual gearbox.  The S model was new to the line and I didn't know any better.  I probably should have waited for an S with the manual transmission, but it's hard to complain really.  She has treated me pretty kindly over the years. 

The memories I have associated with this car are incredible.  The rides in this car to and from the many associations of life's joys and pains.  Bringing it home for the first time, washing it the first time, hitting 100mph for the first time, hitting 130mph the first time, driving to Vegas the first time, leaving Arizona and driving to California the first time.  The girls, oh the girls, that I have had in this car, too many to really remember.  Those days turned into one girl, though, and that turned into memories of giving my four kids their first rides in "the Porsche."  My two-year old still waiting for her first!  They mostly all still love helping me wash it, though...or maybe they're putting in their dibs for the future.

Don't worry...had a friend take some pictures while I was driving.

img_5945.jpg

img_5941.jpg

Before painting the calipers:

img_5393.jpg

And after:

img_5412.jpg

img_5682.jpg

Figured I would do a thorough cleaning of the insides of the rims while I was at it.  Wow, what a ton of work to remove 15+ years of brake dust and road gunk:

img_5680.jpg

Tires were replaced as soon as I got it back on the road!  Look at that wear, yikes!

Unfortunately I needed to build a new bed for my daughter while the car was on the stands; it turned into my very own "garage find":

img_5538bk.jpg

So it needed a good wash and wax afterwards:

photo%205.jpg

photo%207.jpg

Edited by crwarren11

• 1 month later...

175000 miles. Isabella just got a CEL this morning. Otherwise she is a joy to drive! Been to Mexico (Sinaloa) and back, often you will see me on page mill road - sky line - black road "avoiding" traffic on 280.

post-2764-0-44193200-1457674886_thumb.jp

post-2764-0-09137100-1457675105_thumb.jp

Edited by scherb

I've got a 99 Boxster that I purchase in Sep 09, for $8700 with 104,000 miles.

I currently just over 267,000 miles.

I do most of my own maintenance within reason (oil & filter changes, brakes{pads & rotors}, spark plugs & serpentine belt).

I used either Mobil 1 10W40 High mileage/15W50 or Royal Purple 20W50 and I change it every 10,000 miles.

I forget how many water pumps I've gone thru, but then again the 986/996 water pumps are no way as dependable as a water pump for a chevy small block 350.

I've gone thru at least three (3) AOSs. During the last AOS change, my mechanic changed out my front motor mount (it was toast).

I last month my idler pulley froze up while I was on I35 in Round Rock. It was expected with about 256,000 miles.

I have the tranny fluid and filter changed in the Tiptronic about every 60,000 miles.

I had both to have both timing chain tensioners & cam actuators.

I've been  quite happy with Sumitomo HTR Z IIs & IIIs.

All of my oxygen sensors were replaced at 166,000 miles.

I have a new fuel cap (somehow the original cap did not make it back on after a visit to my local dealer). I also have the new & improved coolant tank cap.

I broke the connector (headlight to car) for my driver's side headlight. I went to my mechanic to fix the connector and discovered the wires in my driver's side headlight lost all of their insolation (due to heat and age), fortunately my independent mechanic repaired it for me. (If you live in Austin, I highly recommend LuxuryAuto Works)

The only modification I've made is a $285 muffler with Boxster S tips. It weighs half as much as the OEM muffler and the rear trunk is no longer a good substitute for an oven. The sound is great!

I've also had all four struts replaced two years ago.

Right now my top is stuck in the down position (since it has been raining in Austin for the last week, I haven't driven it in six days). Monday I will take it to my mechanic (I cannot get the clamshell to come up).

I purchase the vast majority of my parts from either Pelican or RockAuto and I get my tires from TireRack.

I've been lucky. I've purchased 17 inch OEM Porsche wheels with brand new tires for $400.  My best score was a set of black sport seats from Woody in Bastrop, TX for $250.

It has been an expensive ride, but well worth it.

MNC-I

I've promised myself that once I reach 300,000 miles I will get a 996 series 911.

• 4 weeks later...

2001 S model,  I'm at 119k.  No IMS issues, changed IMS with original last clutch, no wear on part with 112k.  Main maint has been battery, brakes, clutch and cam chain guides.  Changing out the original trans mounts and single motor mount tomorrow.  I'd drive it to California without worries.

Chaiyz

My 2003 Boxster S Tiptronic will hit 100k this weekend. I bought it from the original owner with 9k miles in 2004. Since then i have only had to deal with the following:

Service Carried out by Shops/Dealerships

• 2 AOS
  • 2 water pumps
  • CV joints (@95k) - one was torn so we we replaced the other a the same time, and since the other drive shaft was weeping at the diff we replaced the CV joints on that side as well. Kudos to my indie shop for rebuilding and not replacing my CV joints
  • Replaced the immobilizer as it got wet in a storm that overwhelmed the rear drains, but insurance covered it
  • A complete fluid service (trans, diff, brake system) @95K
  • Secondary Air Injection system service to remedy a CEL
  • Crankshaft position sensor
  • Trans mount
  • 2 sets of plugs, but original coils

Service I carried out

• Other than that its been oil changes (at Jiffy Lube!) using a Porsche filter and Mobil1
  • Brakes (every 25k for the front, 50k for the rear -- can I admit that I stretched the life of my front discs to almost 100k?). Pelican parts has saved me a fortune in brake jobs
  • Small stuff -- Filters, trunk struts, etc
  • Seat belt buckle replacement to cure an airbag light
  • Window motor and driver's door lock

I figure what I saved by doing the brakes and other items myself pretty much paid for my indie shop to carry out the stuff that was over my head. All in all, count me a happy owner with no breakdowns that ever left me stranded, few unscheduled items, and primarily only maintenance. Much of that happine$$ is attributable to a good indie repair shop (Auto Sports System Group in Fairfax, VA)

To celebrate I'm going to the Hershey swap meet on Saturday!

CB

Edited by cbonilla

• 3 months later...

I have a 2000 Boxter S with 200,000 as of a few days ago. I bought the car here locally for a song, knowing that 2nd gear was bad (6 speed). No real service history other that a clutch and flywheel a couple of years ago. I did a complete maintenance, 4 new tires, fixed some oil leaks, and replaced 2nd gear. I have put about 1000 miles on it with no problem.  I have 3 other Porsches, but this one has become my run around town car. My next project is a muffler hack, the car is too quiet!

Keep having Fun!! 

IMG_3861.JPG

• 1 month later...

My 03 S has 108K miles.  Looking forward to 308K :cheers:

Pic is day I bought it.  Since then, Boxster S emblem back on the rear, new headlight assembly's, tranny service (Triptronic), oil change, new oil/radiator/gas caps, new CV axles, passenger rear control arm, front sway bar, clockspring, plugs, rotors/pads, coolant system flush, Bilstein B6's all around, Set of Continental DWS06's, news AOS with top and bottom hose replacement. Buluga Racing muffler and test pipes eliminating reasonator's/sec cats.

0607161500.jpg

Edited by SteelStroke
More info