Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Owners Suffering from the Cayenne Vibration DEFECT

Cayenne owners in large numbers are being affected by a defect of Porsche Cayenne that causes vibrations that have been classified as "characteristic" by PCNA.

For months PCNA has attempted to resolve this issue through tire and wheel rebalancing, as well as tire replacement. In the end what we are left with is a $70K - $110K vehicle that has the ride quality of a vehicle costing 1/3 of the Cayenne and plenty of vibration.

Enough, is enough! If you are a victim of this defect please send and email with the following information to cayennevibrations@project-guru.com .

I am currently in the process of assembling the proper team of legal professionals to properly represent Cayenne Owners Against PCNA.

Contact Info-

Name:

email:

phone:

Instant Messenger: AOL or Yahoo

Vehicle information-

Model: V6/S/Turbo

Year:

Suspension: Air/Steel

Wheel Size:

Tire Manufacture:

Tire Size:

Brief Description of Vibration and Repair Attempts:

I do not have all of the detail that you are requesting as I write today but will be glad to gather it and forward. I have `04 CS with the same nagging vibration issue. Purchased car in Nov. `03 and issue has been there since. Multiple road force balances, multiple alignments, two new Conti front tires, now 4 new Perelli tires with two new rims. Same as before. My dealer drove all CS on lot. of 7, 6 had same vibration. They have been trying but to no avial. I know this dealer/owner well, all of the service guys and they are really at a dead end. It would appear that as wide spread as this problem is that Porsche is simply not fessing up to the real issue unless they themselves do not know but I seriously doubt. For reps to say that this is a characteristic of the car is embarrassing to say the least. I love this truck, I hate this vibration. I had hoped that Porsche would fix, `05's would not have issue but now I have seen a few posts from `05 owners stating that they have the same issue. That amazes me that they are still putting them out with this defect. I do intend to find my exact car without this issue working with my dealer. If Porsche will not work with them or support, I fully intend to engage legal council to solve this matter.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Every case is different, but driveshaft problems are unlikely. Im aware of one Cayenne TT owner who had both front axles replaced, the steering rack, the cardan shaft, and a brand new set of tires sent to Tire Rack to be heat cycled, trued and balanced, none of which fixed his slight shimmy.

The Cayenne series seems to be extraordinarily heavy even against vehicles in the same class. Is the entire driveline system so heavy that no amount of balancing can suppress the vibration?

Anybody checked to be sure the automatic braking force distribution system isn't in operation even without brake application? It might be worth disconnecting the ABS pumpmotor ciruit (fuse??) to check it out.

I can readily envision a programmer goofing up the PSM code in this manner.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not have a Cayenne, but on my BMW 540i I had a problem with the car's steering vibrating or slight shimmy at different speeds. I changed the upper and lower control arm bushings and the problem was solved.

Hope this helps!!!

04 C4S owner.

• 2 months later...

I had a 04 Cayenne S with a very low bass sounding rumble/vibration at 45-60 mph. The dealer tried the tire balancing thing, but to no avail. After further investigation, the dealer decided to replace the drive shaft. This fixed the problem completely.

• 4 months later...

<_< I have the same problem with my 2005 Cayenne V6 which is 1 month old. I brought it back to service and they did a multiple road force balances and multiple alignments but it didn't work. I get a vibration between 65-75 mph. I feel more tired of driving this $60k car than driving my wifes 2001 toyota rav 4.

I was just talking to the dealer about getting my 1999 Boxster aligned since I just installed the ROW M030 suspension. I asked them if they recommended realignment after a few months once the suspension had settled. He said that you should keep your eye on tire wear (don't know if this is realistic).

He also mentioned that they had had tons of problems with suspensions settling on the Cayenne. The tires were being worn unevenly because the settling of the suspension was causing changes in the alignment. They have replaced many tires under warrantee because of this.

So I would suspect that if you get a Cayenne, the suspensions settles, then you get another alignment a year (or more) later you might end up with a vibration due to incorrect tire wear. Once your tires are worn incorrectly, replacing them is about all you can do.

Just an idea.

• 4 months later...

I experience a different problem with my 1-month old Cayenne.

Well, maybe I shouldn't say "problem" as I don't know if this is, indeed, a "characteristic" of the vehicle too.

This has something to do with the traction or transmission, I guess.

After I accelerate it to, let's say, 40 MPH, and release the paddle. I sometimes feel like it has a strong resistant force from the front. You can have the same feeling when you lug from the 4th gear to the 3rd at 40MPH and above 3000RPM of engine rotation.

This happens 50% of the time, so I am curious if anyone else has the same kind of experience, and if this is normal.

Yet, another transmission "problem"...

Sometimes, after I back the Cayenne with Tiptronic up for about 20 feet, it starts from D1 instead of D2.

Again, this happens occasionally and seems rarer recently. Is it some kind of "break-in" illness?

BTW, my Cayenne has only 1600 miles on it, but the display keeps on telling me to have a service done @ 2600 miles. I did let the engine rotate close to or over 4200RPM once a while when I use Tiptronic. Is that a serious problem? Do I need an Oil Change right after the break-in period?

Another question, what do the dealers do in terms of "service"? Not just a simple oil-change, right?

• Admin
Yet, another transmission "problem"...

Sometimes, after I back the Cayenne with Tiptronic up for about 20 feet, it starts from D1 instead of D2.

Again, this happens occasionally and seems rarer recently. Is it some kind of "break-in" illness?

BTW, my Cayenne has only 1600 miles on it, but the display keeps on telling me to have a service done @ 2600 miles. I did let the engine rotate close to or over 4200RPM once a while when I use Tiptronic. Is that a serious problem? Do I need an Oil Change right after the break-in period?

Another question, what do the dealers do in terms of "service"? Not just a simple oil-change, right?

Check with your dealer - there was a new TSB for Hard Shifting In Range First to Second in February this year. They change out the Tiptronic control unit to fix it. In some cases the DME software must be updated too.

• 5 months later...

my guess as to how many would be few. my take on vehicle problems and those the people that are on the forums is that they (we) are very detail oriented and aware people who notice even the slightest issues. i am not saying there is not a problem with the Cayenne, i am saying that there are thousands of Cayennes on the road and if you read this forum, there may be a total of 10-20 people with issues. PCNA will never consider this a big problem with so few people complaining. IMHO By the way, i am seriously considering the purchase of a Cayenne, i currently drive a 997S, but every time i drive a Cayenne i love it. and no i have never noticed the vibration thing, but i will be sure to pay more attention from now on.

• 2 years later...

'04 Cayenne S here... taken to the dealers 3 times to report banging underneath car... so now, warranty expires 2 weeks after last trip to the shop where again they could find nothing wrong. last nite, banging gets worse, take to dealer this AM and POWWWWWW the driveshaft is gone.

so now, no warranty... call Porsche NA, we'll see what happens, but it doesnt look good.

Anyone have any experience trying to get something covered after the warranty expires? I have documented trips to the shop explaining the issue, but they could never find the cause.

• 8 months later...

Had to replace entire driveshaft today at 57,800 mi on my '04 CTT. The center carrier bearing failed. The pounding/vibration started back on Tuesday.

Last month it was the coolant tube failure.

Are you still gathering addresses/names for the vibration problem from 2004-2005?

I got the answer...the email bounced back.

Tim

Edited by Ignited

At what milage does it usually start to happen? I bought a used 04 CS from a Porsche dealer and it is on 5s Km now, it had a alignment problem when I first get it, then I rotated the tires and it is much straighter. Is it a sign of the vibration problem coming?

At what milage does it usually start to happen? I bought a used 04 CS from a Porsche dealer and it is on 5s Km now, it had a alignment problem when I first get it, then I rotated the tires and it is much straighter. Is it a sign of the vibration problem coming?

if you have an '04 model you have the problem. It is a defect from the factory. The cardan shaft will fail. Some vehicles exhibit the trouble sooner than others depending on how much you like to hammer the boost guage. If your Cayenne is not glass-smooth over normal roads, if it even hints at any vibration, your shaft is failing. The dealer calls it a wear-out item. You should still take the time to report it to PCNA. Even though it is out of warranty the factory needs to be aware of our discontent with their unwillingness to back up their customer satifaction claims.

I have a 2005 ctt with 10k miles on it. It has 1 year left of warranty plus cpo (2 years). I have the vibration!! F'ing annoying. It has been to the dealer several times, wheels speed forced balanced, new tires, everything. Still there. I am at a loss of what to do next.