Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

fuel tank float rattle sound.

Ok here's one for you all.

I've been getting very annoyed at a strange rattle that happens when I go over cobbles or harsh bumps in the road. I've checked my drop links and track rods and all seam fine. I found the problem area i think..

I opened by front bonnet and put my hand on the side of the opening I then rocked the car from side to side. all i could hear was the noise that i'm hearing over the bumps at the front of the AWD system. it basicaly sounds like a plastic ball sitting in a dish. when it moves it rattles and then settles back with a decreasing rattling sound.. clunk clunk clunk clunkclunk. its in front of the AWD system so i removed the plastic cover just to find a large metal box covering it all up.. there is then a smaller cover on the top with a lump in the middle of it held on with 4 10mm nuts. I didnt have a spanner with me at work so i decided to give my local Porsche shop a call. The very nice technician said that the fuel tank is in there and there is a float that reads the fuel level. hence the ball in a dish sound i'm hearing.. he had never heard of anything like this before and could not really tell me much other than come in and i'll take a look. he said it could be a pipe that is loose but if it is then it sounds like it's fallen off and not loose.

Has anyone had this problem or noticed the noise it makes as mine can be heard from inside while driving... does it need a new float or is it one of these anoying things that just come with the car.. I hope I can sort it as it's driving me crazy! especially when friends get in for a drive and say whats that noise it sound like your front ends falling off.... Grr

Thanks in advance.

A

2003 996TT

I wont be much help with your problem, nor have I heard of anyeone having anything close to your issue, but your tool kit should have the 10mm spanner in it.

Aslo, you might want to remove the spare tire and all associated tools, air pump etc and see of the sound is coming from the top or bottom of the tank. I have a suspicion it might be something rolling around under your spare, there isnt much that moves around inside the tank.

Definitely follow up, would be interested in what you find.

I've been getting very annoyed at a strange rattle that happens when I go over cobbles or harsh bumps in the road. I've checked my drop links and track rods and all seam fine. I found the problem area i think..

I opened by front bonnet and put my hand on the side of the opening I then rocked the car from side to side. all i could hear was the noise that i'm hearing over the bumps at the front of the AWD system. it basicaly sounds like a plastic ball sitting in a dish. when it moves it rattles and then settles back with a decreasing rattling sound.. clunk clunk clunk clunkclunk. its in front of the AWD system so i removed the plastic cover just to find a large metal box covering it all up.. there is then a smaller cover on the top with a lump in the middle of it held on with 4 10mm nuts. I didnt have a spanner with me at work so i decided to give my local Porsche shop a call. The very nice technician said that the fuel tank is in there and there is a float that reads the fuel level. hence the ball in a dish sound i'm hearing.. he had never heard of anything like this before and could not really tell me much other than come in and i'll take a look. he said it could be a pipe that is loose but if it is then it sounds like it's fallen off and not loose.

Has anyone had this problem or noticed the noise it makes as mine can be heard from inside while driving... does it need a new float or is it one of these anoying things that just come with the car.. I hope I can sort it as it's driving me crazy! especially when friends get in for a drive and say whats that noise it sound like your front ends falling off.... Grr

Thanks in advance.

A

2003 996TT

Thanks for your reply..

I had a look in the tool kit and i dont see one! i have an empty slot though so it might have been were it lived. : D

I have tried everything, removed the spare, pump,jack the lot, I even removed the spare wheel cover the battery cover and all the plastics under there and still the same sound.. i'm sure its coming from in there as when rocking the car from side to side with the bonnet open i can put my ear to the top of the AWD system and hear it moving around on the other side of the metal box that covers the fuel tank etc.. i'll take a look under the other cover when i get home tonight and update what i find.. if it is the float i might try filling it to the brim and seeing if it stops. if not then i'll just have to take it to Porsche for them to have a look at.. or even just replace the float as if it's not a common problem maybe I have been unlucky to get a duff float, or a seal or somthing has gone... hmmm i'm just glad i've found it as it really is annoying.. as is my sun roof the squeaks when it's opened up.. I can hold the bit thats squeaking but just cant get to it as it's hidden by the liner... i've read the posts on here about it but just can seam to stop the bloody thing.. again it's annoying and makes me not want ot use the sun roof.. i can even hear it over the radio at a normal level and have to turn it up to make your ears bleed volume for it to go.... : (

Cheers..

A

Your best try would be to put a magnet down the fill

tube. Then I would take the float and pump out and try

the magnet again. Last would be removing the tank and turning it

upside down. I have enclosed a 996 picture of the tank.

Paul

post-13642-1247689651_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

There are some "marbles" inside the tank to reach the exact quantity of fuel as stated in the manual (the capacity of the fuel tanks are higher than stated, Porsche put some "marbles" in the tank to compensate this.)

Hi Everyone.

Well I finally got the time to take the other plastic cover off.. under there is the fuel tank as you all know and can see from the picture above (thanks for posting that) it is the float thats making the noise or at least something inside the float.. The noise does seam to be less when the tank is full getting worse when hitting a 1/4 tank or under.

Now all i need to know is if other 996T T's do the same so could a few people try this for me? you wont have to remove any interior plastic as i can hear mine with it all there..

Ok make sure you have low fuel as the noise is louder when there is less, open your bonnet.. move round to one side of the front of the car by the by wing.. lean over into the boot space and place you hand on the rubber seal that seals the boonet on the other side from were you standing about were the interior light is. start pushing the car from side to side pretty hard.. while you do this your leaning over the car a little so its easy to put your head down to the front of the plasitc cover that covers the fuel tank. if you can hear any sort of clunking sound then can you please let me know.. if not then it must be that my float is worn some how..

I notice that its pretty long the float so i'm guessing there might be room in there for these parts to wear a little and start to wobble.. I live in Edinburgh and roads hear are really bad with cobbles all over. plus i'm running the 997 19inch wheels that make the ride harder and jiggly!

Thanks in advance to anyone that tries this out... it's now a case of do they all do it or is it just mine.. the Porsche garage had never heard of anything like this!!

I wonder how much a new float is? a million pounds I bet!!

Cheers

A

• 4 months later...

Did you have any luck finding out what the problem was with the float valve for the fuel tank, I have a similar problem. Basically, the fuel gauge at around 1/4 mark decides to lose any reading, then it reverts back to where it was in a few mins and most probabaly prompted by a a couple of bumps I think.

Did you have to replace the whole float or was there a fix in the end.

And if it required replacing, could you advise a rough cost?

I pulled the float out a tad, gace a good shake and cleaned the connections up on the wiring, but I suspect it is the float, tonights saturday night drive will confirm Im am sure.

cya

Brenton

996 Twinturbo

Adelaide South Australia

Thanks in advance.

A

2003 996TT

• 8 years later...

I seem to have the same problem. Sounds like something completely loose in the tank. I can shake the car side to side and hear it. Using chassis ears the noise is most pronounced on the hump in the trunk where the gas tank sits. Any ideas?

• 3 months later...

I’m having the same issue. I pulled the tank unit and yes it rattles like a baby rattle.
I’m afraid to open it lest I’m left stranded. So when I have enough money I plan to buy a used unit, drop it in and open the defective unit.
I changed strut, strut bearing, stabilizer link. I found the problem when I had the car on jack stands checking ball joints and tie rods.
My 02 996tt has 30,000km.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
If anyone is curious this is what is rattling inside your 996 fuel sender. Why the big metal ball in a plastic cage. It seems to have a venting purpose.

8a50acb7b1aa0408f25ac232737b85cd.jpg