Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Just released for Beta Durametric 6.0 with many new features

Loren

• Admin

Durametric Owners can download this update for free (make sure you have the newer style cable before installing).

Partial list of New Features:

"First release of Durametric 6.0

* Coverage for 997, Boxster (987), Cayman only. Other models will be added over the next 6-8 weeks.

* 100% new code! Durametric 6.0 shares no code with Durametric 5.

* Added coverage for many new control modules. We now cover every module possible in the 9x7 cars.

* Automatic vehicle recognition! On 9x7 cars, the software will automatically detect vehicle type and the modules that are installed.

* New short test allows scanning all modules for faults and see all faults on one screen.

* Quick erase allows faults to be cleared from all modules in one operation.

* Support for non-critical faults. In some cases a module may have fault codes that do not require action. These faults will be indicated with a yellow icon.

* Support for activations in most modules.

* Support for actual values in most modules.

* Support for 2009 DFI cars' Siemens SDI3 ECU.

* Support for PDK transmissions.

* System / Short tests on engine modules.

* Freeze frame information on engine modules.

* Coding on many modules (professional version only), some examples of things that can be coded are:

o Added or removing control modules from the car. For example, disabling TPM, or PASM.

o Recoding of airbag to allow racing seats to be installed and not trigger an airbag light.

o Activating day time running lights.

o Adjusting the behavior of each key.

o And much more...

* 997 Convertible top calibration.

* Brake bleeding.

* Improved installation process.

* Automatic software updates.

* Improved work log.

* Command console (professional version only). Provides direct communication with the control module for advanced users.

* Workshop information. Professional version can add your shop information to appear on customer printouts.

* And many other new features"

More info here

Durametric Owners can download this update for free (make sure you have the newer style cable before installing).

Partial list of New Features:

"First release of Durametric 6.0

* Coverage for 997, Boxster (987), Cayman only. Other models will be added over the next 6-8 weeks.

* 100% new code! Durametric 6.0 shares no code with Durametric 5.

* Added coverage for many new control modules. We now cover every module possible in the 9x7 cars.

* Automatic vehicle recognition! On 9x7 cars, the software will automatically detect vehicle type and the modules that are installed.

* New short test allows scanning all modules for faults and see all faults on one screen.

* Quick erase allows faults to be cleared from all modules in one operation.

* Support for non-critical faults. In some cases a module may have fault codes that do not require action. These faults will be indicated with a yellow icon.

* Support for activations in most modules.

* Support for actual values in most modules.

* Support for 2009 DFI cars' Siemens SDI3 ECU.

* Support for PDK transmissions.

* System / Short tests on engine modules.

* Freeze frame information on engine modules.

* Coding on many modules (professional version only), some examples of things that can be coded are:

o Added or removing control modules from the car. For example, disabling TPM, or PASM.

o Recoding of airbag to allow racing seats to be installed and not trigger an airbag light.

o Activating day time running lights.

o Adjusting the behavior of each key.

o And much more...

* 997 Convertible top calibration.

* Brake bleeding.

* Improved installation process.

* Automatic software updates.

* Improved work log.

* Command console (professional version only). Provides direct communication with the control module for advanced users.

* Workshop information. Professional version can add your shop information to appear on customer printouts.

* And many other new features"

More info here

Wow. IMO, this is a real big step forward. Lots of cool features - brake bleeding, control module control...now if only I can find my cable in my mess of stuff in the garage!

* Cables with the electronics in the connector can be either first or second generation.

o If the cable has the light on the side that reads "Durametric," then it is a second generation interface cable.

o If the light is on the side that says "Enthusiast" or "Professional," then it is a first generation interface cable and not compatible.

* Customers with first generation interfaces can upgrade to the second generation interface for $150 USD.

I am very, very disappointed with this. I bought my Durametric cable and software about two years ago, supposedly the software upgrade would be free, and now my cable isn't compatible with their software.

So people like me have to buy a new cable to get long awaited features like brake bleeding? From a hardware interface and software points of view, I don't get why the old cable could communicate with most of the modules, if not all, but now the software "needs" a new hardware interface. Or how to make $150 from older customers. Sorry, but this is a rip off.

• Admin
* Cables with the electronics in the connector can be either first or second generation.

o If the cable has the light on the side that reads "Durametric," then it is a second generation interface cable.

o If the light is on the side that says "Enthusiast" or "Professional," then it is a first generation interface cable and not compatible.

* Customers with first generation interfaces can upgrade to the second generation interface for $150 USD.

I am very, very disappointed with this. I bought my Durametric cable and software about two years ago, supposedly the software upgrade would be free, and now my cable isn't compatible with their software.

So people like me have to buy a new cable to get long awaited features like brake bleeding? From a hardware interface and software points of view, I don't get why the old cable could communicate with most of the modules, if not all, but now the software "needs" a new hardware interface. Or how to make $150 from older customers. Sorry, but this is a rip off.

Have you tried sending them an email?

I did, I haven't gotten a reply yet.

Sorry for the rant above. I was so exited when I read your post, then went to their website to download the new version, and ended up very very disappointed. I'm in a bad mood for the day now :huh:

I did, I haven't gotten a reply yet.

Sorry for the rant above. I was so exited when I read your post, then went to their website to download the new version, and ended up very very disappointed. I'm in a bad mood for the day now :huh:

Understand your disappointment, but they probably had to change out the interfacing chip in the cable a while back to be able to communicate with all the modules in the system. I figure it's worth the extra $150 just to be able to bleed the ABS pump.

Regards,

paul....

they probably had to change out the interfacing chip in the cable a while back to be able to communicate with all the modules in the system. I figure it's worth the extra $150 just to be able to bleed the ABS pump.

I guess so, Durametric told me they had to design a new cable to support the latest Cayenne and 9x7 series. I'd be curious to know if Porsche has changed the PIWIS hardware in order to support their newest cars.

I bought my Durametric cable because I wanted to support this company's effort to reverse engineer the PST2 and PIWIS, knowing it didn't have all the feature but hoping that one day it would. I could have bought a KTS-500 + PST2 software for 500 € that had all I needed for my 986, but I figured that it was better to help the good guys.

I'm gonna buy a new cable because I want the latest features, and hopefully we won't have to buy yet another one with the 9x8 series ;)

• 1 month later...
  • Admin
I would like to see a comparison between the hammer 9288 and the 6.0 durametric software...is that possible?

:welcome:

The history of Porsche diagnostic tools is on their site at this link: http://www.durametric.com/historyofporschediagnostics.aspx

The model and feature matrix is also there: http://www.durametric.com/modelfeaturematrix.aspx

Hi Loren, thank you for the info...I did see that comparison matrix, but was really hoping to see a comparison between the 9288/PST2 capabilities and the durametric. Of course, selfishly specific to the 993.

I have been reading your forum for a long time, as you can see.

Brett

• Admin
Hi Loren, thank you for the info...I did see that comparison matrix, but was really hoping to see a comparison between the 9288/PST2 capabilities and the durametric. Of course, selfishly specific to the 993.

I have been reading your forum for a long time, as you can see.

Brett

I experience has been the older the car the less there is to program. So, even an early 996 (like my MY99) has less to program than a MY04 996. Fewer control units.

So, I think there is even less to program in a 993 and maybe just read a few outputs in a 964.

If your 993 has the later style OBD2 "D" connector rather than the round connector you will likely have a few more programming options.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

Here is a partial list for the latest version that I got from the Durametric folks.

Version 6.0.1.0 Beta

"Added Coverage for 996, Boxster (986)

Many new features that were not available in Durametric 5.0 here are some examples:

- Enabling and Disabling the On Board Computer (OBC) even thought this is technically coding it is included in the both Enthusiast and Professional versions

- Clearing fault codes on Alarm, along with other alarm features like activations and input signals

- Brake Bleeding

- Convertible top calibration on 996 Cabriolet

- Activations on most modules

- Coverage for every possible control module on Boxster and 996 new for version 6.0 Litronic headlight control(HBA), Roll over protection, Park assist, Targa control module

- Coding on some modules

- Actual Values on more modules

- And much more.."

• 4 weeks later...
Here is a partial list for the latest version that I got from the Durametric folks.

Version 6.0.1.0 Beta

"Added Coverage for 996, Boxster (986)

Many new features that were not available in Durametric 5.0 here are some examples:

- Enabling and Disabling the On Board Computer (OBC) even thought this is technically coding it is included in the both Enthusiast and Professional versions

- Clearing fault codes on Alarm, along with other alarm features like activations and input signals

- Brake Bleeding

- Convertible top calibration on 996 Cabriolet

- Activations on most modules

- Coverage for every possible control module on Boxster and 996 new for version 6.0 Litronic headlight control(HBA), Roll over protection, Park assist, Targa control module

- Coding on some modules

- Actual Values on more modules

- And much more.."

I can't get my computer to reconize the engine module part of the software.

Everything else works, just can't read that part in 6.0.

E-mailed the company but heard nothing yet! I have the newer style cable.

I can't get my computer to reconize the engine module part of the software.

Everything else works, just can't read that part in 6.0.

E-mailed the company but heard nothing yet! I have the newer style cable.

Did you recently update to 6.0.1.4? I did yesterday and many things (activations) aren't working right. Which sub-version are you running? I reverted back to version 6.0.1.3 which I'll check again as that version was working great.

Regards,

paul..

• 4 months later...

For those who don't want to waste 150$ on a simple cable upgrade, you can always switch your Enthusiast old cable for a Professional new cable, they will charge you the difference between the Enthusiast and the Professional version, so you don't really loose money :)

• 1 year later...

I have the durametric professional version and like all other professional level tools that I have used they are all not point and click and each has a learning curve, that is sometimes beyond the average car owner that purchases this stuff trying to save a buck on maintenance, You have to know the adaption values, the basic setting info and all that stuff to really make this tool work to your advantage, a full service manual with all the obd2 info is helpful for each model you are trying to fix, cause Alldata and all the others just dont have the finite info we need to fix these cars properly. It is always experience and being able to interpret the fuel trim info properly.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else using the DuraMetric (latest beta of 6.xx.xx) on a Netbook hooked up to a Cayenne?

When I initially hooked up - all it could see was basic stuff - like OBD-II level stuff. After reading the instructions for the 5.0 release - I spotted that on the Cayenne, most of the modules are accessed via the Gateway (shades of GhostBusters! We have a GATEKEEPER!), that apparently is easily confused, and once confused needs help getting unconfused. The Gateway apparently lives in the instrument cluster. Recycling the cluster (remove fuse 40 in the left dash fusebox for 10 seconds) seems to help, but after finally getting into several modules, it would start to not find modules again.. requiring me to again reboot the instrument cluster.

The earlier 5.0 software seemed to find it easier to connect to the modules in the car.

In one of their manuals (5.0 or perhaps the 6.0 beta-draft) they mention possibly having timeouts occur if your computer isn't fast enough... hence my question.

I'm using it on a several year old Dell with the Atom processor, I think 1.1GHz.. Just curious if anyone else has tried a Netbook and experienced any problems? I probably should tell it to fogeddabout WiFi networking and bluetoof and anti-virus to lessen the load on the processor. Hey - I gotta try that tomorrow. Ain't the forum grand - worked through my own problem here.. ;) :renntech:

There are a few problems with Ver 6 and the Cayennes but the guys at Durametric are working on the issues. I've been in contact with Owen in technical support and I'll post any new info as it comes my way. I also power up my laptop with a 12 volt adaptor as it seems to work better then running off battery power alone.

• Upvote 1

wvicary,

Thanks. Glad to know it wasn't just me.. :thankyou:

I'm setting up the Netbook with a semi-mimimalist set of boot programs/drivers (it's amazing that each and every program thinks IT is the most important program and loads their stuff in.) At least half the processor is usually consumed by anti-virus programs checking the other system loaded programs aren't misbehaving.

And good clue about plugging it in - it probably goes into a low power mode when running off battery, reducing processor speed.

Thanks again!

Don

Edited by deilenberger