Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

convertible top hydraulic cylinder - replace the broken one or both?

I had posted earlier about problems with my convertible top. I met with an independent mechanic this morning who looked at my car and showed me where hydraulic fluid was leaking out of one of the cylinders, dripping down into the wheel well.

The part is $680. He recommends replacing both at the same time, even though the other side is not leaking.

Is it worth spending an add'l $680 (plus more labor) to get them both replaced now, or can i get away with just replacing the broken one?

• Moderators

If the other one is still serviceable, then replacing just one is fine.

Replacing both is an accepted method, simply because the other one may not have the same lift characteristics as a new one, and could cause the top to be "crabbed" at some point.

But if you are on a budget, then just replacing the one will be OK. Just watch that the top is being moved evenly from now on.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a leak around the wheel well and my top just top working.

Is that where the oil leak for your car?

thanks,

I had posted earlier about problems with my convertible top. I met with an independent mechanic this morning who looked at my car and showed me where hydraulic fluid was leaking out of one of the cylinders, dripping down into the wheel well.

The part is $680. He recommends replacing both at the same time, even though the other side is not leaking.

Is it worth spending an add'l $680 (plus more labor) to get them both replaced now, or can i get away with just replacing the broken one?

post-46372-1251986982_thumb.jpg

Yes - the fluid leak was dripping down the interior side of my rear wheel well. if you disconnect that fabric cover which hides the inner compartment where the hydraulic cylinder is housed (my mechanic did this without tools in about 20 seconds), you can see the hydraulic cylinder pretty clearly. in my case, you could see the fluid had poured out of it.

sorry if my description is confusing - don't know the lingo...

I guess that would be the answer for mine too.

The cyclinder sits right above the water collection pan, and there is a linkage leading outside of the car.

That's exactly where I had the leakage.

Do you happen to know the Hydraulic cyclinder part number?

Yes - the fluid leak was dripping down the interior side of my rear wheel well. if you disconnect that fabric cover which hides the inner compartment where the hydraulic cylinder is housed (my mechanic did this without tools in about 20 seconds), you can see the hydraulic cylinder pretty clearly. in my case, you could see the fluid had poured out of it.

sorry if my description is confusing - don't know the lingo...

post-46372-1252003035_thumb.jpg

it's listed on my invoice as 997-561-945-01 (i guess the 997 part is the same as the one for the 996?)

don't know if you're considering a used part, but in case you are, i got both of mine replaced last month. the drivers side one was fine but i decided to replace both. my mechanic kept the other one (that was part of our deal) - perhaps he still has it and would sell to you. i got mine done at gulf performance in pompano beach, fl. (954) 783-7345.

• 1 month later...

Labor is is pretty easy on it. My brother is a Porsche Tech and I have the instructions on how to replace it.

Doesn't look like the pictures came thru sorry. It sould take about an hour. Per side. If you do replace both and the passenger side is still good, I'll buy from you. My passenger side is leaking.

Removing And Installing Hydraulic Cylinder

Removing and installing hydraulic cylinders

General remarks on hydraulic system

The hydraulic system is sensitive to penetration of dirt. As soon as the system is opened by the plug, a cloth must be placed under the hydraulic lines to catch escaping hydraulic oil.

The hydraulic convertible top uses a closed hydraulic system. In general, the hydraulic system will need to be filled only if the hydraulic circuit was opened (after parts replacement). Only Original Porsche hydraulic oil must be used when changing or topping up the hydraulic oil.

Opening and closing hydraulic valve of the hydraulic pump

Access for opening and closing the hydraulic valve up to model year 2000

To open, insert the Allen key -A- into the hydraulic valve -B- and turn approx. 1 turn to the left.

To close, insert the Allen key into the hydraulic valve -B- and turn to the right.

Access for opening and closing the hydraulic valve as of model year 2001

To open, insert the Allen key -A- into the hydraulic valve -B- through the bore -X- of the roll-over bar module and turn approx. 1 turn to the left.

To close, insert the Allen key -A- into the hydraulic valve -B- through the bore of the roll-over bar module -X- and turn to the right.

Filling the hydraulic system

It is essential to lay a cloth underneath the hydraulic pump when filling. Do not fill above the "Max" marking.

Filling the hydraulic system up to model year 2001

1. Unscrew plug.

2. Fill system only using Original Porsche hydraulic oil.

3. Screw in plug. Tightening torque: 10 + 1 Nm (7.5 + 1.0 ftlb.)

Filling the hydraulic system as of model year 2002

1. To fill the hydraulic system, the bracket with the hydraulic pump must be removed. Refer to "Removing and installing hydraulic cylinders".

2. Unscrew plug.

3. Fill system only using Original Porsche hydraulic oil.

4. Screw in plug. Tightening torque: 10 + 1 Nm (7.5 + 1.0 ftlb.)

Bleeding the hydraulic system

CAUTION: Damage to the convertible-top frame it not running synchronously.

• Bleed the hydraulic system only after the hydraulic cylinders have been removed from the convertible-top sup- ports and drive levers on the left and right.

The system has a self-bleeding feature. Three to four operations will bleed the system. After bleeding, check the oil level in the container on the hydraulic pump and check if necessary.

To bleed, the hydraulic valve must be closed. Refer to "Access for opening and closing the hydraulic valve up to model year 2000" and "Access for opening and closing the hydraulic valve as of model year 2001".

Line routing for replacing the right hydraulic cylinder as of model year 2002

Warning:

• Damage to hydraulic lines. Do not bend, trap or crush hydraulic lines during installation.

• The spare hydraulic cylinder has hydraulic lines approx. twice the length of the standard component and can be installed on both sides. To prevent damage to the hydraulic lines caused by bending, trapping or crushing during installation, line routing has to be consequently carried out.

1. Wrap the hydraulic lines around the support of the frame for the roll-over bar 1x. Fix the lines with a tie wrap -arrow- .

2. The lines should be free of tension and twisting when connecting to the pump. Observe allocation of the hydraulic lines! -Blue, red- , refer to "Removing and installing hydraulic cylinders".

Tightening torques

• 3 weeks later...
hi , where can i find those hydraulic cylinder i want to check if its short in fluid coz my convertible doesn't open most of them time and then it opens or it opens only half way . if someone attach pics

The Hydraulic oil reservior located right behind the middle of the rear seat. To access it, you need first to open the top to a " service " position ( half way ). Then detach the 2 cables from the soft top. Last remove the interior cover by pile out a plastic screws. Note that the hydraulic oil is not the same as the Power steering fluid.

If you want to check any leak from the cylinders, it is very easy.

Just remove the rear speaker panel ( 1 screw ) and you can see the cyclinder.

• 6 years later...

Im trying to find the part number for the fill screw plug on the hydraulic pump. I went to the dealer and it is not on the schematic. I was wondering if the one from a newer model would work part number 996 561 407 01.

• Admin

Im trying to find the part number for the fill screw plug on the hydraulic pump. I went to the dealer and it is not on the schematic. I was wondering if the one from a newer model would work part number 996 561 407 01.

There is no fill plug (or hole) on a MY1999 996 (see the DIY here).

• 2 months later...