Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tiptronic oil change also is differential change?

My '99 tiptronic is overdue for a tiptronic oil/fluid change (also the transmission is acting a bit hesitant). I called Marvin at RennShop but it's $620 there and a 2.5 week wait. So I gave the dealership a call and they told me: $450. I asked them to confirm that this drains the tiptronic fluid and differential and only got a vague reply "it drains both".

Since it is a little hesitant and money is tight, I'm thinking of going the dealership route, but would like to understand if draining the tiptronic fluid also drains the differentiate at the same time. I've looked over past threads but can't find a definitive answer.

I asked them to confirm that this drains the tiptronic fluid and differential and only got a vague reply "it drains both".

Maybe they thought you had a manual transmission in which case the transmission and differental DO share the same fluid...

Having recently changed my own tiptronic tranmission fluid - in hindsight i would rather have paid $450 to have the dealership do it. If you DIY, parts alone are about $200 (filter/gasket/fluid). Also, you need a PST2 or PIWIS to drain the torque converter otherwise you can't completely drain the old fluid. Also it is EXTREMELY messy. It's not hard to do it is just kind of a pain and really messy.

My '99 tiptronic is overdue for a tiptronic oil/fluid change (also the transmission is acting a bit hesitant). I called Marvin at RennShop but it's $620 there and a 2.5 week wait. So I gave the dealership a call and they told me: $450. I asked them to confirm that this drains the tiptronic fluid and differential and only got a vague reply "it drains both".

Since it is a little hesitant and money is tight, I'm thinking of going the dealership route, but would like to understand if draining the tiptronic fluid also drains the differentiate at the same time. I've looked over past threads but can't find a definitive answer.

I would be concerned if the dealer did not know the two are different. I would query them on the procedure for changing the fluid and see what they say. I have seen a few ZF tips destroyed by incorrect fill procedures. They are very sensitive to fill levels and if they botch the job you will soon have a very expensive paper weight. A drain & fill guy is your worst nightmare.

I know my local Porsche dealership does not include servicing the diff on the tip when you ask to change the transmission fluid. They only do the ATF unless you specify you want the diff done as well, and charge accordingly.

• 9 years later...

Can you tell me what the program does that drains the converter? I did the service on both. last time removing the side cover for the differential.  Not sure what I could have gotten to go down to the bottom of the diff to suck the oil out?  I thought about drilling and tapping a drain plug. But since that part only comes with the trans i chickened out. Not sure what stresses it get and hoe even a small hole in the bottom might effect it. 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Turboflyer said:

Can you tell me what the program does that drains the converter? I did the service on both. last time removing the side cover for the differential.  Not sure what I could have gotten to go down to the bottom of the diff to suck the oil out?  I thought about drilling and tapping a drain plug. But since that part only comes with the trans i chickened out. Not sure what stresses it get and hoe even a small hole in the bottom might effect it. 

No, it does not drain the converter, where the lion's share of the fluid is.

Thanks, I did not think so.  It was posted somewhere. Then again it wouldn't be first time I had to say you have to be kidding me . 

Maybe we could come up with a modified trans  cooler with some nice AN fittings to facilitate the flush.  Will have to find a beat up old one and see what makes it tick.