Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rattles on the RS

adamr_ZA

I know its an RS ... an all track machine ... sound deadening is limited ... so am curious about other RS owners ... how badly does your car rattle?

I get a resonance at low revs on the door panels somewhere or maybe its the pillar ...

It seems the roll-cage or in that area also tends to make sound as if a piece of wire is hitting against it ...

But of course this is really on uneven and bad roads, once on the highway no issues at all ...

sure this is all normal ...

I know its an RS ... an all track machine ... sound deadening is limited ... so am curious about other RS owners ... how badly does your car rattle?

I get a resonance at low revs on the door panels somewhere or maybe its the pillar ...

It seems the roll-cage or in that area also tends to make sound as if a piece of wire is hitting against it ...

But of course this is really on uneven and bad roads, once on the highway no issues at all ...

I've owned an '07 GT3 RS for 14 months and have driven 4,000KM's during that time including a couple of track excursions. I have a North American version without the Clubsport ROW equipment (rollbar, lexan rear window etc). Although the cabin noise is much more present than non GT3 versions of the 997 (I previously owned an '06 997 C4S Cab) I have noticed only minor rattles however nothing unusual. I haven't experienced any resonance or trim rattles at specific rpm levels either. I have read the CS roll bar can be noisy (groans and clicks) as it flexes under load and the lexan rear window is prone to vibration noise especially when the side window is open. Nothing else.

I've owned an '07 GT3 RS for 14 months and have driven 4,000KM's during that time including a couple of track excursions. I have a North American version without the Clubsport ROW equipment (rollbar, lexan rear window etc). Although the cabin noise is much more present than non GT3 versions of the 997 (I previously owned an '06 997 C4S Cab) I have noticed only minor rattles however nothing unusual. I haven't experienced any resonance or trim rattles at specific rpm levels either. I have read the CS roll bar can be noisy (groans and clicks) as it flexes under load and the lexan rear window is prone to vibration noise especially when the side window is open. Nothing else.

guess it is the same then, cool :) ... so i guess the resonance is actually the vibration noise from the rear plastic window and yes the roll cage groans and clicks ... always thought there is a loose metallic wire hitting against the roll cage :)

Edited by adamr_ZA

• 2 months later...

AAhh the wire hitting roll bar, exactly what i have (57 RS). Usually around right hand corners, under load. Had the dealer check it on the first service. No fault.

The only other noise i have is from speedo pod, a big push seems to cure it!

If you ever find out what the wire noise is........

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

All the 2007 RS's I've driven (5) have a wicked harmonic buzz from the drivers door panel at around 2800rpm. This can be almost cured by removing the door panel and istalling some thin high density foam over the rear 3/4 of the door. Do NOT cover the airbag.