Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

more than a dead battery

02 boxster S 6 speed.

hi guys, another problem arise of my beloved boxster.

i just had the battery replaced about a month ago ( group 48 from costco)

over the weekend the battery light came on as i was driving. everything else is fine. i drove to my friend. turned off and on the engine, the light is still on so i just left it. drove home fine that night. car had been parked for 2 days and earlier today i took the car out again but just one minute out i noticed the abs light came on then break light and radio went dead and ac then even the headlight, the entire electrical system just went haywire. i took the car home and car wouldn't start anymore. i put in another battery ( brand new) and was able to start it again and all lights were off except for the battery light is still on.

i turned to the owner manual and it says to not to operate the car at all because of charging system failure or broken drive belt. has anyone had similar problem? is it true that i can't drive the car anymore? i am thinking about driving the car to the mechanic tm but am a bit concern now since reading the manual, also since i installed a new battery and the battery light is still on i am suspecting the alternator is the problem. any suggestions??

While the engine was running, did you notice if the voltage meter was at 13.7 v or below 12v? If it was at 13.7 v, the alternator is putting out the correct voltage, if below, the battery is discharging and supplying all the energy for the car to run. It sounds like the alternator has expired, or the belt has come off/broke.

James Greer

Making a guess, your batt light is on because your voltage is low, and is not getting charged. If your car isn't overheating, your belt is still on so the alternator is should still be turning. It could be something as simple as a fuse, causing the alternator getting it's field current, Could be the alternator itself, or even a loose wire, Something is not letting it charge the battery. The electrical system "went haywire" because voltage was low and things shut themselves off to protect themselves.

If you car isn't running hot, you could probably drive it to the mechanic, if it isn't too far, turn off the radio, climate control and such. If you have a battery charger put it on prior to the trip.

If you can't confirm no overheating, don't even think about driving it, tow it, or find a mechanic/friend to come to you.

While the engine was running, did you notice if the voltage meter was at 13.7 v or below 12v? If it was at 13.7 v, the alternator is putting out the correct voltage, if below, the battery is discharging and supplying all the energy for the car to run. It sounds like the alternator has expired, or the belt has come off/broke.

James Greer

hi James,

i don't believe there is a voltage meter in my on board computer. at least not to my knowledge. i will double check again but am pretty sure i don't have such meter.

when i turn on the car the battery light turns on immediately. and i feel that when everything start to shut off the engine was getting weaker as well.........

Making a guess, your batt light is on because your voltage is low, and is not getting charged. If your car isn't overheating, your belt is still on so the alternator is should still be turning. It could be something as simple as a fuse, causing the alternator getting it's field current, Could be the alternator itself, or even a loose wire, Something is not letting it charge the battery. The electrical system "went haywire" because voltage was low and things shut themselves off to protect themselves.

If you car isn't running hot, you could probably drive it to the mechanic, if it isn't too far, turn off the radio, climate control and such. If you have a battery charger put it on prior to the trip.

If you can't confirm no overheating, don't even think about driving it, tow it, or find a mechanic/friend to come to you.

ok i don't want to sound dumb! but is it the only way for checking the alternator belt is by going to the engine compartment and do a physical inspection? if so i am assuming i have to access it from behind the seats, is there another belt turning the alternator besides the polyrib?

i didn't notice the car running hot at all since i had to drive 35 miles home over the weekend from my friend's house.

Have your alternator checked. My '01 Boxster's alternator died about 6 months out of warranty. The battery light came on, then went off, then came on, then my dash lights resembled a Christmas tree with everything lit up. Then the car died. No problems since getting a new (Porsche remanufactured) alternator. You will be astounded at the price of an OEM Boxster alternator!

There is only one belt on your car, it drives everything including the alternator and water pump, hence, if you drove 35 miles, your belt is there or you would have overheated the engine.

Things get weaker as you drive because you are discharging the battery and voltage drops things start to fail. if you have a battery charger you can charge the battery and drive the car to a mechanic. Advance Auto, Sears, or any one should be able to test the battery/alternator to see if it's charging.

Your car has no battery meter, just an idiot light, to let you know something is wrong. It is suppossed to come on when you turn the car on, then go out when you start it and the alternator is charging.

The alternator sits on the top passenger side of the engine, it is doable as a DIY project. Check the fuses, and the wiring to the alternator first. Then have it checked somewhere.

If you put your location in your signature or profile, someone close may be able to help.

• 7 years later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Southern Raeder said:

I have a 2000 911 Carrera, 6 on the floor, and the battery light and ABS light came on and stayed on. Also was running hot with the temp warning light staying on and steering was difficult. Safe assumption the belt is broken? 

Welcome to RennTech :welcomeani:

A reasonable assumption, so before you totally kill the engine, why not open the engine bay and look?