Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Transmission Oil and Diff Oil - Change and Oil recommendation

I did both front and rear differential oil change at Porsche dealer here in Minnesota and they used this oil as per the invoice:

PVP000400 HYPOID OIL 7950 MOBIL

However, For the Transmission and transfer case they used the Porsche recommended ones.

I did both front and rear differential oil change at Porsche dealer here in Minnesota and they used this oil as per the invoice:

PVP000400 HYPOID OIL 7950 MOBIL

However, For the Transmission and transfer case they used the Porsche recommended ones.

Thanks for the reply, would that be a typo (7950) or is it 7590? Sure hard to get any information for oil usage, called several dealers-all use something different.

• 4 weeks later...

We have a 2004 Cayenne Turbo with now about 208,000 miles on the ticker and changed all the tranny, diff fluids and filters at 163,000+ miles - had the dealership do it with factory parts - not worth messing with something the factory spend alot of engineering hours on trying to figure out what works best. It was not cheap but it was good peace of mind.

• 1 month later...

Its Cayenne S 2004.

I am not sure how the TSB you named has defined the differential with locking, But, I think mine is equipped with locking differential for the fact that in I have the gear key located between the 2 front seats it engages 4WD and locking in 2 steps.

• Admin

Its Cayenne S 2004.

I am not sure how the TSB you named has defined the differential with locking, But, I think mine is equipped with locking differential for the fact that in I have the gear key located between the 2 front seats it engages 4WD and locking in 2 steps.

I think his point is that the differential with locking gets different gear oil than the non-locking unit.

Check your option codes I1Y1 is the option code for Differential Lock

Seems like I do not have this code in the list (on the sticker located in the trunk) !!

By the way, I think "snzuloz" was asking about type of the differential oil and I provided him what I could read out of my invoice (changed at dealer).

For the trans just get Toyata IV fluid at the dealer, around 5 bucks a quart. You dont want to put gear lube in the transfer case!!!! It takes VW G 052 162 A2 which is a synthetic transmission fluid. You could also use a synthetic ATF that meets requirement like mobil 1 or Amsoil. OR you could use Esso LT 71141 which is ATF used in some BMW's etc. All will work fine. 75w-90 synthetic gear lube for front and rear diffs. Ill post some pics up I just did all my fluids. Good for another 100k.

• 5 months later...

I changed the front/rear differentials and the transfer case. The differential fluid came out horrific looking. The transfer case came out pretty clean and red.

Mobil 1 ATF full synthetic meets the porsche spec LT 71141 so that is what I used on the transfer case. For the front and year I also went with Mobel 1 LS 75w 90. (Check my gallery for pics) All are much quieter. I am planning on chaning the transmission filter/fluid in the next few weeks.

mamut79, I also swapped mine recently in my '06 Turbo S to Redline products but I went with 75W-90, I think the 75W-140 may be a little too thick. I also used Redline D4 ATF in the transmission & transfer case. Now that the weather is starting to cool down I notice that the tranny shifts better when cold with the Redline than it ever did with the OEM stuff, and maybe it's just me but it seems less differential and tranny noise.

• 2 weeks later...

I used Toyota IV for the transmission.and was surprised to see how dirty the pan was. I could only get around 6.5 liter in there but the transmission shifts very smooth.

I used Mobil 1 71141 for the transfer case

for the differentials, I bought the dealer oil. about $60/liter. the oil is thick.

a tip that might be useful, we carefully measured all the fluid when we drained it. this way you know that how much was in there before. :)

royxaxa, what year and model of pig do you have? I think it was the end of '04 or the beginning of '05 there was an increase in fluid quantity. Porsche has a TSB out and owners manual supplement for the ones that started with the new change. The TSB is a manual page insert and the full TSB lists the tranny #'s when the change was incorporated and say's that all trannies being replaced will have the new quantites. It may be as simple as a bigger oil pan but without seeing it who knows? Someone on here may know the difference as Porsche just lists new tranny #'s.

Found it, TSB 3702. For the Cayenne Turbo, any manufactured after Jan 24, 2004 should have the newer transmission with tranny #'s starting at 09D300037H, so approx. mid 2004 year production. It says the capacity has increased in the "New verson Tiptronic" but maybe someone on here knows if it was just and increase in the pan size or a real improvement to the tranny.

• 1 month later...

I have an 08 CS that's about 1000 miles away from 50K...Do any of you think it's worthwhile to change out the fluids in the diffs and transfer case? I live in NE/VT and the Winters can be brutally cold...used to do it on my Landcruisers...but they did not use synthetics.

This is a great thread...good to see what folks are using in these trucks.

I'm a believer in changeing out the fluids, especially if you think your going to keep it for a long time, but if not then the next owner may appreciate it, keep the record of it. The front & rear Diffs as well as the transfer case don't take a lot of oil so for DIY your not spending a lot of money unless your using the OEM fluids. The transmission is the big on when it comes to fluid & a filter too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FYI, possible transmission oil choices:

http://www.mobil1.lt/en/produktai/automobiliu-alyvos-ir-tepalai/automatiniu-transmisiju-alyvos/

Mobil ATF 3309

It is the highest performance synthetic fluid - specially developed for "Aisin-Warner" automatic transmissions.

• Toyota Type T-IV/T4/T-III/T3
  • Lexus
  • JWS 3309
  • GM 9986195
  • VW G-052-025-A2
  • Ford WSS-M2C924-A
  • Mitsubishi Fuso (FE) – since 2005
  • Porsche (Cayenne S/Turbo) – JWS 3309/Type T-IV
  • Saab (9.3,9.5) – 5 speed AT boxes
  • Volvo (S 40/60/70/80, V 40/70, C 70, XC 90) - 5 speed AT boxes.

Edited by TopGun2000

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Did the front and rear diffs today. I used the Porsche fluid. Easy job. Front fluid was much darker (brownish) than the rear. No significant particulate; it definitely needed changing though. Only hiccup was the five extra minutes I had to spend cutting down the allen wrench to get it into the tight clearance for the front diff.

Did the transfer case last night. Used Mobil 1 Synth ATF. Also easy.

Of note: none of the three units required new o-rings or washer seals. The diffs have orings which were in good shape (they're not rubber), and the transfer case I used some Blue RTV sealer replacing what was there originally. I've learned my lesson when it comes to replacing orings. Not all are created equal, and these were made of something more durable than rubber.

'04 CTT 86K miles.

Edited by jagman1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...