Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How to reach and replace Cayenne-S O2 Oxygen sensor?

I am getting check engine light on my 04 Cayenne-S 70000miles currently after couple times clearing the code. It is P0051 I believe is O2 sensor Bank2 sensor1. The car is running fine still just with little rough and vibration in idling and annoying check engine light on.

I put the car on lift and found the O2 sensor (I believe it is the right one?!) is in between the passenger side header and catalytic converter and there is no space to be reached nor with any tool. I wonder how to change the O2 sensor and has anyone done it before? Hopefully no need to dismantle the complete exhaust system :(

I don't have any helpful info but if you need to order the part the Sunset Imports team are very cool and may be able to provide the install guidelines/instructions, part location, etc. Or Loren or someone here with expertise may be able to weigh-in. Or become a contributing member and you can download service notes on this issue.

I had repeat CEL codes (and I know this is no real help to you because I did not write down the code numbers). It was an O2 sensor-type CEL code. On a whim I replaced the gas cap -- really cheap from Sunset -- and sure enough that fixed the issue. Never had a CEL since. I also have a 2004 S with just under 70,000 miles.

The reason I changed the gas cap is I am the primary person who fuels the vehicle and I am certain I tighten the cap to three "clicks" after fueling. Then days later, to loosen the cap, no unscrew "clicks" to release. Happened a few times. I figured a new cap was worth a shot since it was not remaining fully seated to the threads causing potential vacuum issues. And a new cap is not a big expense.

I basically lucked-out. Difference from your issue is I did not notice any idle issues, just the pesky CEL light (solid, not blinking) would surface again after clearing.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

It is a difficult job requiring some specalised tools made by Hazet. I gave up and took mine to the dealership, they changed all 4 sensors (provided by me, but OEM parts) for £880 including 2 days car hire.

Probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but it is a devil of a job. I am a chief engineer and have built my own car in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Loren, if you have any installation info for replacing o2 sensors on a 955 cayenne turbo I would appreciate it. Looking in the engine bay, I can see the pre cat sensors and it almost looks as if I could get an o2 sensor wrench along with some angled ratchets to get to it from above but it does not look easy. I would like to replace them without having the engine dropped out to get to it.

• Admin

Hey Loren, if you have any installation info for replacing o2 sensors on a 955 cayenne turbo I would appreciate it. Looking in the engine bay, I can see the pre cat sensors and it almost looks as if I could get an o2 sensor wrench along with some angled ratchets to get to it from above but it does not look easy. I would like to replace them without having the engine dropped out to get to it.

Unfortunately this is not an easy process - 2-3 hours "book time".

You will need some special tools...

post-1-0-60197100-1377523837_thumb.png

The wheel, wheel housing liner, engine cover, air clear all need to be removed.

You will also likely need a mirror to see what you are doing and to assemble the sensor connector.

• Upvote 1

Well, after about 3 hours of frustration, I was able to change out the precat O2 sensors on my 955 CTT without needing the special hazet tools. I am not sure if it is the same layout as the cayenne S but it is a challenge but doable. I only had the remove the engine bay covers and the lower splash pan to accomplish the job. The drivers side one took the longest and involved using some creativity and some different O2 sensor ratchets and angled attachments from above down into the engine bay. The use of an inspection camera helped alot. The passengers side was very easy compared to what I went through on the drivers side. You can actually reach the passengers side sensor with your hand by reaching up behind the wheel well from underneath the car. Once you get it loose, you can actually use your hand to remove it and put the new one in. Looking at where the post cat O2 sensors are, I do not think I could even get to them without at least removing the secondary cat pipes. I am not too concerned about the post cat O2 sensors unless I get a code because they do not affect the air/fuel mixtures like the pre cats. This project felt like when I changed out the drivers side diverter valve.

• 3 years later...
On 2 September 2013 at 7:04 AM, mbagge01 said:

Well, after about 3 hours of frustration, I was able to change out the precat O2 sensors on my 955 CTT without needing the special hazet tools. I am not sure if it is the same layout as the cayenne S but it is a challenge but doable. I only had the remove the engine bay covers and the lower splash pan to accomplish the job. The drivers side one took the longest and involved using some creativity and some different O2 sensor ratchets and angled attachments from above down into the engine bay. The use of an inspection camera helped alot. The passengers side was very easy compared to what I went through on the drivers side. You can actually reach the passengers side sensor with your hand by reaching up behind the wheel well from underneath the car. Once you get it loose, you can actually use your hand to remove it and put the new one in. Looking at where the post cat O2 sensors are, I do not think I could even get to them without at least removing the secondary cat pipes. I am not too concerned about the post cat O2 sensors unless I get a code because they do not affect the air/fuel mixtures like the pre cats. This project felt like when I changed out the drivers side diverter valve.

Hi Mark,

I'm going to change my precat sensor on the passenger side (left hand drive), can you share what tools you used pls and any more detail how you got the tool in from where? 

Do you happen to have the Bosch o2 sensor part number as I intend to go to Bosch direct and get one, if price is good I will get two and just do both side bank1+2 for my piece of mind and future reliability, he'll I've changed almost everything else now lol. 

Many thanks 

Lewisweller, the passenger precat is very easy to replace compared to the drivers side. You can easily reach it with your hand from under neath the car. If I remember correctly, I used an angled ratchet socket with a long extension and from above and below helped to slide it on to the O2 sensor. Once you loosen the sensor, you can unscrew it from below with your hand and then place the new one.

4 hours ago, mbagge01 said:

Lewisweller, the passenger precat is very easy to replace compared to the drivers side. You can easily reach it with your hand from under neath the car. If I remember correctly, I used an angled ratchet socket with a long extension and from above and below helped to slide it on to the O2 sensor. Once you loosen the sensor, you can unscrew it from below with your hand and then place the new one.

Thanks Mark, I've actually ordered two. So whats your advice to do the drivers side pls? 

I have a 2006 Cayenne S and replaced both pre-cat 02 sensors a couple of years ago.  The driver was was pretty straight forward from underneath the car.  I did remove the wheel well cover for easier access to route the 02 sensor wire.  The passenger side I access via the front wheel.  Here is a link with a little detail:

7 hours ago, sswong98 said:

I have a 2006 Cayenne S and replaced both pre-cat 02 sensors a couple of years ago.  The driver was was pretty straight forward from underneath the car.  I did remove the wheel well cover for easier access to route the 02 sensor wire.  The passenger side I access via the front wheel.  Here is a link with a little detail:

Thanks for the link great info. 

I think I'm going to have some small and normal length 22mm spanners which I can modify if required. 

I will remove the lower covers, wheel arch inner liners and air boxes as this takes just 10 mins to do I have em off so many times and makes a lot a lot space to work. 

Will be changing the passenger side strut top mount at the same time as I'm already half way into there. 

Also order a parking brake gas strut to swap my lazy one which keeps making the parking warning beep. 

If only tinkering with cars was a free hobby .............

• 1 year later...
On 1/27/2010 at 12:24 PM, paulwu said:

I am getting check engine light on my 04 Cayenne-S 70000miles currently after couple times clearing the code. It is P0051 I believe is O2 sensor Bank2 sensor1. The car is running fine still just with little rough and vibration in idling and annoying check engine light on.

I put the car on lift and found the O2 sensor (I believe it is the right one?!) is in between the passenger side header and catalytic converter and there is no space to be reached nor with any tool. I wonder how to change the O2 sensor and has anyone done it before? Hopefully no need to dismantle the complete exhaust system :(

The bank 2 is drivers side in the us and if you remove the front panel under the car you can reach up through the sway bar and the radiator and get a wrench in spark plug wrenches don’t actually work but it is 22mm wrench the part number is from Bosch is 17157 for passenger side front and 17158 for drivers side or bank 2 sensor 1 good luck it help if you remove the air box by the way when replacing the 02 sensor for bank 1 sensor 1 passenger side I have no experience with bank 2 sensor 1 but will be attempting it this weekend