Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Well just got back from North Scottsdale Porsche. I did pull the old battery and the ground terminal was badly corroded. Purchased an Moll battery $436 (ouch) and an new cable is on the way from Sonnen. Looks like the pervious owner had a Touareg Battery in her. Not sure when it was replaced but I am hopeful this will solve my problems for years to come.

• 2 weeks later...

Well just got back from North Scottsdale Porsche. I did pull the old battery and the ground terminal was badly corroded. Purchased an Moll battery $436 (ouch) and an new cable is on the way from Sonnen. Looks like the pervious owner had a Touareg Battery in her. Not sure when it was replaced but I am hopeful this will solve my problems for years to come.

Wow they saw you coming!! $450 for a battery, over my dead body! I payed $130 for a decent one and have had no problems. But, like you before I pulled the battery I had a slew of problems, all smalls things. But they are all gone!

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Admin
51 minutes ago, Renzo511 said:

Loren,

you mentioned a second starter relay with the 2 battery cayenne system . Where is that located ?

also is there a way to test the battery discharge relay which is connected to the second battery under the sub? 

There are a relay and special circuit (Z1) that determine if the second battery is needed. when it is the power relay switches to the secondary battery.

I believe these are all near the secondary battery at the rear of the car. Please correct me if I am wrong (but I do not have one to look at right now).

second battery.png

Thanks loren.

my issue is 2004 cayenne s 8  cylinder wont start . Tried starting last week in the artic cold we were having in pennsylvania ( 5 degrees ) ran for 15 second then died , tried staring a few more times and engine would slowly crank but would not start . Tried starting a few more times and now cranking at all and not even a noise from starter . Did notice a burning electric smell but couldnt tell if from cab or engine area.

changed battery under seat , no change .  Replaced starter relay in E box , no change

checked second battery and have 13.4 volts , but when i try to start i get a loud click from the battery discharge  relay next to second battery .

i get full power to lights, cab, radio, fan, etc.., 

how can i test starter without pulling off intake ? Could i jumper at the relay ?

could engine have seized ?

never had starting issues until this artic cold snap .

• Admin
31 minutes ago, Renzo511 said:

Thanks loren.

my issue is 2004 cayenne s 8  cylinder wont start . Tried starting last week in the artic cold we were having in pennsylvania ( 5 degrees ) ran for 15 second then died , tried staring a few more times and engine would slowly crank but would not start . Tried starting a few more times and now cranking at all and not even a noise from starter . Did notice a burning electric smell but couldnt tell if from cab or engine area.

changed battery under seat , no change .  Replaced starter relay in E box , no change

checked second battery and have 13.4 volts , but when i try to start i get a loud click from the battery discharge  relay next to second battery .

i get full power to lights, cab, radio, fan, etc.., 

how can i test starter without pulling off intake ? Could i jumper at the relay ?

could engine have seized ?

never had starting issues until this artic cold snap .

Have you checked all the fuses?

Have you put a scan tool on it to see if there are fault codes?

Have you checked for poor chassis grounds?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Renzo511 said:

What would cause the voltage drop

on the battery cabbles ?

my concern  is the burning smell

i noticed when i was trying to start , could that have been stater burning up ?

Rising resistance inside the primary cables.  While this is a very common problem on 996 Porsches, and PCNA released a TSB and redesigned cables as the result, any primary cable can develop internal resistance which causes both a voltage and amperage drop, which can place a strain on electrical components like the starter.

Testing for it is quite simple:  You measure the voltage at the battery end, and then at the starter end; if the voltage drop is more than 0.5 Volt, the cable is toast and needs to be replaced. 

Whilst it sounds to me like a battery-related issue, here in Germany, particularly in winter, martens are renowned for seeking cover under car bonnets and chewing electrical cables.  If that's an issue where you live, the integrity of the cable from your battery to the starter might be worth looking at.

Is your new battery correctly CCA rated according to your vehicle's handbook?

Can i check voltage at starter without taking intake manifold off ?

batreries are proper voltage amd CCA

i am getting a loud click from batrery discharge relay which is at the second battery in cargo area beneath the sub woofer . That battery is new as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/01/2018 at 1:24 PM, Renzo511 said:

Thank tounJFP . Its 8 degrees here today so i will be waiting a couple days for it to warm up

Just a note. I had an alternator seize up and stall my engine on a roundabout, would not start with jumpers or substitute battery.

A lot of head scratching later I remove the serpentine belt and the car fired right up. Checked all the pulleys and alternator was jammed. 

The fact yours ran for 15 seconds is suspicious of something seizing up......or the starter didn't disengage, normally you would hear that though. 

JFP in PA ..finally warmed  up here in eastern Pennsylvania..

i check the voltage at the battery, the jump terminals and starter ..all the same ...

can i jump the starter to test it before taking it off ?  Or another way of testing starter before removing it ..i do hve the intake manifold off.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Renzo511 said:

JFP in PA ..finally warmed  up here in eastern Pennsylvania..

i check the voltage at the battery, the jump terminals and starter ..all the same ...

can i jump the starter to test it before taking it off ?  Or another way of testing starter before removing it ..i do hve the intake manifold off.

Why are you removing the starter?  I thought you were going to try voltage drop tests first..........