Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Immobilizer Problem?

New to the forum and hoping that someone can help with a strange problem on our US Market 2001 Boxster S 6-speed. Car was running fine when parked in the garage about a month ago. But now.....

• The doors won't unlock on the remote, but that's not unusual after a long interval.
  • The dash lights up, but the engine won't turn over
  • The central locking doesn't operate via the dash switch
  • The window switches don't work, but the glass does lower when the door is opened
  • The front and rear trunks won't unlock via the sill switches
  • The front trunk won't open via the fuse panel jump point
  • The battery seems to have a reasonable charge - the headlights are fully bright and the convertible top operates at normal speed
  • I have replaced the battery in the key remote
  • I can't find any blown fuses

I've searched around in the archives, but I can't see anything quite like this. My best guess would be some kind of immobilizer problem, but any other ideas before I trailer it to the dealer would be much appreciated.

Edited by guysimpson

New to the forum and hoping that someone can help with a strange problem on our US Market 2001 Boxster S 6-speed. Car was running fine when parked in the garage about a month ago. But now.....

• The doors won't unlock on the remote, but that's not unusual after a long interval.
  • The dash lights up, but the engine won't turn over
  • The central locking doesn't operate via the dash switch
  • The window switches don't work, but the glass does lower when the door is opened
  • The front and rear trunks won't unlock via the sill switches
  • The front trunk won't open via the fuse panel jump point
  • The battery seems to have a reasonable charge - the headlights are fully bright and the convertible top operates at normal speed
  • I have replaced the battery in the key remote
  • I can't find any blown fuses

I've searched around in the archives, but I can't see anything quite like this. My best guess would be some kind of immobilizer problem, but any other ideas before I trailer it to the dealer would be much appreciated.

I had a similar problem on my '99 Boxster Tip, but mine happened over night, and a friend had it happen after his car sat for a few days. His problem was a battery that appeared ok but didn't have enough charge to start the car. He replaced the battery and problem went away. Mine was a corroded wire connection on the immobilizer module under the driver's seat. The connection was replaced and the car has been fine. Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

We had similar issues with our 98 986...sure enough it was the immobilizer unit wire connection...a piece of the seat rail plastic end cap had broken away and dislodged the wire slighty and pfffffff DEAD car...the dealer removed the seat reattacted the wire and it's been perfect ever since. I would start by looking under the seat with a small mirror and flashlight. If upon inspection you see any what appear to be out of place wires I would 1st unhook the battery (seat air bag sensor) or carefully unbolt and look to se if any wires are dislodged and if so reseat them and try it again. If no luck then as stated in the prior thread you can unplug and remove the top carefully and inspect for any corrosion and clean to see if that helps.

Good luck

m2

I checked the alarm/mobilizer unit under the driver's seat. No obvious loose wires, no corrosion on the circuit board or general dampness (Car lives in Northern California and is always garaged). Reconnected the wiring modules and replaced the local fuse for good measure, but no difference :-(

Decide to disconnect the battery for a full reset of the car's electronics which (since the fuse box jump point doesn't work) meant looking for the emergency cable. I have removed the wheel arch liners on both sides, but I can't find the infamous cable anywhere. I have owned the car since new, so can't imagine that it would have been relocated (e.g. towing eye). This is a 2001 US model Boxster S.

Any ideas on the cable - or anything else?

Edited by guysimpson

Finally got the front trunk open, but I had to take the bumper off to do it. The emergency cable was lodged under the headlight unit and there's no way I could have got to it from the wheel well.

The bad news is that disconnecting the battery has made no difference. The car's now loaded on the trailer ready to take to my mechanic.

I suppose the one upside of all of this is that I took the opportunity to clean all the crap out from the radiators.