Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

how do you know if the clutch is going bad?

I've done some searching on this board (and others) and I'm trying to figure out what to look out for if my clutch is failing. I have an 03 996 TT with 29K miles. I wanted to know what the tell tales signs are of a clutch that needs replacing. I have had some creaking noise start coming out of my clutch pedal and it has a sort of weird feel when I depress the pedal (it just started recently.) However, when I drive, I can shift perfectly normal thru the gears. Can anyone shed some light on what to look for if a clutch is in fact going bad? my car is not a daily driver so I'm just exploring ideas...thanks!!

the easiest way to test your clutch for slip is to go to a higher gear, 4th or 5th and accelerate from low RPM. When the turbos come in, if the revs shoot up out of proportion to the speed increase, your clutch is either glazed severely or worn beyond specs.

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

I've done some searching on this board (and others) and I'm trying to figure out what to look out for if my clutch is failing. I have an 03 996 TT with 29K miles. I wanted to know what the tell tales signs are of a clutch that needs replacing. I have had some creaking noise start coming out of my clutch pedal and it has a sort of weird feel when I depress the pedal (it just started recently.) However, when I drive, I can shift perfectly normal thru the gears. Can anyone shed some light on what to look for if a clutch is in fact going bad? my car is not a daily driver so I'm just exploring ideas...thanks!!

1. Drive about 40 mph on 6th gear

2. Press down the clutch pedal

3. Give throttle to raise rpm to 4.000 - 5.000

4. Release the clutch pedal (quickly).

The rpm should come down right away when you release the pedal. If the rpm stay up even for a second or comes down slowly, your clutch will soon bee done.

I bought my car from Porsche Dealer ten days ago. I didnt notice any clutch related problems when I test drove the car. However after a few rides after paying for the car I noticed some problems that I recognized as accumulator problems - thanks to rennlist. Yesterday when making a quick acceleration I noticed that when shifting to third gear the clutch is slipping. Then I performed the above mentioned four point test and got confirmation. Clutch is slipping.

I e-mailed the dealer yesterday. They promised to contact me today but they didnt. I hope I will not have to pay for the clutch.

Edited by Guybrush Wilkinson

• Moderators

More likely, your problem is a noisy clutch return spring (under the dash), not uncommon and can be fixed. Do a search on the subject..............

• 9 months later...

Wondering what the typical cost to replace a clutch at an Indy is? Also, wondering of the Indy can set the "engage point" on the travel of the clutch? This one (though it's slipping) is set to release too high IMHO. I keep on killing the engine. I feel that a little lower would allow me better feel.

Any input on those two questions? Thanks in advance.

• Moderators

The "engage point" is not adjustable, a new pressure plate, disc and release bearing will solve your problem, bleed the system well also. A too high "engage point" indicates a worn clutch or/and a cracked pressure plate. Terms of costs in the US, i'm not informed, cant help with that, others will chime in.

• 6 years later...