Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ignition Key Failure

function_analysis

Today I replaced for a first time after I got the car the fully exhausted battery of my 997.1 GT3 MY07. The engine cranks perfectly fabulous, however when I came back from the typical checking ride and switched off the engine I noticed that the key was stucked in the ignition switch. RTFM depicted the quick procedure to tackle this issue, however the key still remains stuck each time I swith on and then off the engine. I googled the issue both to Renntech and elsewher, unfortunately I only found some DIY hints and tips about the 996/Boxster series, nothing about my 997 model.

Q1: Does this failure directly connect to the battery replacement?

Q2: Is this supposed to be a known problem for 997-series?

Q3: Could anyone describe the cause of the failure?

Q4: Any remedies?

THX for taking the time to read this post...any advice is highly welcomeani.gif-d

Sounds like it could be your ignition switch. I haven't heard of this being an issue in the 997's but a very common problem in the 996 and older Boxster. When they go bad they start to do all kinds of strange things. I have never seen the warning message you are getting but it (the switch) could be the culprit. I would also get your mechanic or dealer to check for fault codes with a Durametric or PIWIS tester.

Have you tried your spare key to see if the result is the same? Unlikely but worth a try..

:welcome:

Edited by phillipj

You're right when saying this is a very common problem with the 996s and the older Boxsters.

After a lot of googling and general searching I found out that this is also a known issue for 997 series. At least one certain owner at 6speenonline posted exactly the same failure, due to exactly the same cause which is battery replacement. Besides, there is another one at rennlist as well.

Actually I didn't try the spar key as I originally rejected the idea :oops:. It really deserves a try, I'll let you know, in any case.

Thanks once again for your input :jump:

Sounds like it could be your ignition switch. I haven't heard of this being an issue in the 997's but a very common problem in the 996 and older Boxster. When they go bad they start to do all kinds of strange things. I have never seen the warning message you are getting but it (the switch) could be the culprit. I would also get your mechanic or dealer to check for fault codes with a Durametric or PIWIS tester.

Have you tried your spare key to see if the result is the same? Unlikely but worth a try..

Loren, it's the original key NOT a copy. I'll take the car in the soonest possible and let you know immediately after the verdict is in place

:cheers:

I agree that someone should test the car with a PIWIS. Seems like an immobilizer issue or locking steering issue could cause you not to be able to remove the key.

It is an original Porsche key not a copy right?

Edited by function_analysis

To my bad luck not even the spare key reacted the same way as the original one cursing.gif

I think you will likely need someone with a PIWIS tester and the ability to re-program your keys. (After running normal alarm system diagnostics).

Weird thing is that unlike other msgs the current one about the ignition key failure DOESN'T show up in the onboard computer display at the same moment that the exclamation mark isn't lit up.

Is the normal alarm system diagnostics a procedure to run exclusively through a PIWIS or might I run it myself as well? Does a Durametric also help?

• 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...