Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2011 Brake Pad Installation procedure ?

Has anyone done a pad R&R on a 2011 6-cyl Cayenne ?

I can't stand the brake dust any longer and have purchased some low dust pads

Would appreciate if anyone has installation instructions

Have done pads myself on both a 996 TT and GT3, don't know if there are any watchouts or major differences on the Cayenne

TIA

wsh

:welcome:

Pretty much follow the DIY Tutorial in the older Cayenne DIY section.

Thanks Loren !!

Is the procedure the same ? The calipers appear to be very different in outward appearance

Just want to insure I've got it right before I tear the Mrs. car apart......

wsh

• 1 year later...

Has anyone done this yet on a 2011+? The calipers are significantly different from the typical Porsche Brembo calipers in that they don't have the single retaining pin on the top of the caliper - and the pads can't be removed from the top of the caliper. I'm not sure of the function of the 2 torx bolts facing outwards, but it appears to me that you can't replace the pads without removing the calipers . . .

post-26540-0-93112300-1355712391_thumb.j

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Can anyone offer advice on how the brake pads are replaced on a 2011 cayenne v6 diesel. It appears that the pads cannot be accessed in the usual way through an opening in the top of the calliper and that the calliper must be removed? If it is to removed do the torx bolts have to be replaced with new ones?

• 4 months later...

I would like to know too. The calipers and all look different than the older Cayenne with the central pin. I am guessing 12 point bits are required (torx it seems will not work). Caliper needs to come off?

Anyone done a DIY for the front and rear. The Rears seems a bit more involved because of the electronic brake?

• Admin

I would like to know too. The calipers and all look different than the older Cayenne with the central pin. I am guessing 12 point bits are required (torx it seems will not work). Caliper needs to come off?

Anyone done a DIY for the front and rear. The Rears seems a bit more involved because of the electronic brake?

The caliper bolts get loosened then the caliper slides on two steel rods (pins) (special tool T10439) to suspend the caliper while you remove and replace the pads.

post-1-0-57718400-1389570779_thumb.png

• 7 months later...

Anyone know where you can buy the special tool to suspend the caliper? Also when replacing the rear pads and rotors does the car have to be in neutral??? Are there any detailed steps on how the pads and new hardware kit are installed?

• 5 months later...

Anyone know where you can buy the special tool to suspend the caliper? Also when replacing the rear pads and rotors does the car have to be in neutral??? Are there any detailed steps on how the pads and new hardware kit are installed?

any updates on this?

• Moderators

any updates on this?

Tool is actually a VW item and looks like this:

vw_matra_t10439.jpg  About $54 from Samstag Tools

any updates on this?

Thanks JFP, just purchased. Do you know if they make or sell a floor jack pad for 2011-14 cayenne ? I don't think I can use my jack at the spare tire jack point.Any other points under car where I can jack using floor jack while doing brake at a time? Also any special tools to loosen the pads before removing the caliper? obviously there is no more room to use piston spreader with new design of caliper.

• Moderators

any updates on this?

Thanks JFP, just purchased. Do you know if they make or sell a floor jack pad for 2011-14 cayenne ? I don't think I can use my jack at the spare tire jack point.Any other points under car where I can jack using floor jack while doing brake at a time? Also any special tools to loosen the pads before removing the caliper? obviously there is no more room to use piston spreader with new design of caliper.

I don't really know about the jack pad, but "search" is always your best friend.

The pads do not need an tool to loosen them, they usually just pop out.

any updates on this?

I don't really know about the jack pad, but "search" is always your best friend.

Thanks again JFP, I wanted to know since the new caliper design does not offer room to use a piston spreader from top would I just have to try and get a flat head screw driver in there to try and loosen the pad away from the caliper in order to pull off caliper? This was my main concern. Ive read others have said that the two tripe square bolts facing outside needed to be loosen in order for pads to get loose, but also read that this is incorrect> Can you further elaborate if you have any more info on this subject? Thanks!!

• Moderators

any updates on this?

Thanks again JFP, I wanted to know since the new caliper design does not offer room to use a piston spreader from top would I just have to try and get a flat head screw driver in there to try and loosen the pad away from the caliper in order to pull off caliper? This was my main concern. Ive read others have said that the two tripe square bolts facing outside needed to be loosen in order for pads to get loose, but also read that this is incorrect> Can you further elaborate if you have any more info on this subject? Thanks!!

If memory serves, there was a detailed write up on the procedure's on Rennlist some time back.  Once the calipers are up on those pins, you use an angled brake pad spreader to push the pistons back and remove the pads:

$T2eC16R,!)sE9swmZpRsBRMEv77(0Q~~60_57.J

• 2 weeks later...

The caliper bolts get loosened then the caliper slides on two steel rods (pins) (special tool T10439) to suspend the caliper while you remove and replace the pads.

attachicon.gif2011 calipers.png

Loren , so for the new style rotors on 2011-2014 Cayenne models do you just loosen the caliper bolt screws and just pull off onto pins? I was able to purchase the pins via snapon VW. I'm curious if I need to try to push brake pistons back some with screw driver to loosen pads before removing brake caliper?

• Moderators

attachicon.gif2011 calipers.png

Loren , so for the new style rotors on 2011-2014 Cayenne models do you just loosen the caliper bolt screws and just pull off onto pins? I was able to purchase the pins via snapon VW. I'm curious if I need to try to push brake pistons back some with screw driver to loosen pads before removing brake caliper?

Normally, if you remove the caliper bolt and install the service pins, a quick "shake" back and forth is enough to push the pads back enough.  If not, simply slide a thin tool like a scraper between the pad and rotor to push them back enough to remove the caliper.

• 1 year later...

The "Assembly Pins" can also be purchased at vw.snapon.com - for about $32 + shipping. Ordered a pair on Friday (and they do come as a pair..) SnapOn seems to be doing some of VW's special tools distribution. You can open a personal account at the website. Then search for the PN "T10439". For that amount of money IMHO it's not worth trying a bodge to get around buying the correct tools.