Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

GT3 RS for track

aalencar

Hi everyone. New member here. Happy to join and learn about Porsche, especially the GT3 RS. I am currently working towards fulfilling my childhood dream of having a track car. Car racing has always been my passion but my wallet did not let me carry it on. Glad things are better!

The way I decided to reach my goal is completing Porsche’s driving school (one more nice step on the way – GT3 cup experience!) and then rewarding myself a GT3 RS.

I have been reading as much as I can and was hoping you could help me make the best move. I will use the car exclusively for the track and plan to keep it for a while. It would be nice to buy a brand new car but the option of buying a used one and save some for tires and parts is tempting. Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

If you want a full race /track only car I would agree.. Get a used CUP car. You can probably get a great deal with extra parts. Used race cars aren't worth much...

Here is a link to get you started.. http://www.theracersgroup.com/carsforsale/carsforsale.html

Good luck and Welcome!

Edited by phillipj

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

have you guys actually looked into the REAL running costs of a cup car ?

if not, I'd suggest you do before you buy one.. they might frighten you !

Want to take your wheels off ?

that will be $1600 for the air wrench, plus lines plus bottles & regs (you also need a lance for the air jacks), so double that...

Don't forget that the engine & gearbox & suspension components are time limited to replace / rebuild too...race cars dont spend that many 'hours' being driven, whereas on a track day you will soon rack up the hours

Also be aware that the 997 cup is a sequential race box; flat shift from 2nd to 3rd accidentally (it can happen...) you'll be looking at the thick end of $50K gearbox & engine repairs... I have seen this happen !

Not trying to put you off at all.

If you have the means then by all means go for it !

I'm just buying a 997 cup car now, but to race..

I know what these things cost to run!

Whatever you do -enjop it !

David,

I guess we have to assume that if he wants to race he knows what he's getting himself into... And better have very deep pockets!

Please post some pictures of your new race car. We would all love to see that..!

:cheers:

• 2 months later...

There is more to the Cup car race car.

Motor rebuilds after 50 to 75 hours.

Transmission rebuilds from 75 to 100 hours.

The suspension alone is worth a lot. I think the bottom a-arm is $750 and the

Flying Lizard team replaces them after every race. They are extremely light

and use a special high strength metal. Just slide your car sideways

into a curb and open the wallet.

I would recommend a tube frame 997 car with a race spec motor. You will

have more fun and do more racing then watching.

Paul

• 1 year later...

An initial alternative to full up racing rightaway in a Cup car could be SCCA Time Trials with a track-ready RS. Then maybe spending some time in SCCA regional and/or national racing with an older D or C Sports Racer to get exposed to true race conditions in a purpose built race car at a significantly lower operating cost.