Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

OEM Porsche Antifreeze/Coolant

• Moderators

Just had my Tiptronic serviced along with a new water pump. Is the fluid in this picture consistent with the original (or new) Coolant. This is a new (to me) 99 C2 tip and I hadn't noticed the color in the reservoir until yesterday. It doesn't feel like oil when I dip my finger into it.

It looks like the newer "pink" coolant. As it is hard to tell from the picture, is the mixture clear or cloudy?

If you didn't request complete coolant change, only 2 gal will be drained when replacing the water pump and there are total of 6 gal in the system. So if the original coolant was there and they added 2 gal of 50/50 diluted pink coolant, that color looks about right.

The numbers above are for a manual car so they may be diff for your tip but you get my point.

• Upvote 1

If you didn't request complete coolant change, only 2 gal will be drained when replacing the water pump and there are total of 6 gal in the system. So if the original coolant was there and they added 2 gal of 50/50 diluted pink coolant, that color looks about right.

The numbers above are for a manual car so they may be diff for your tip but you get my point.

Ahsai / JFP,

thanks for your help on this and the other thread. I remember now the mechanic telling me the anti freeze was permanent and didn't need changed so that makes sense. Here is a shot of the liquid out of the tank and it's clear with no separation. I'll have my guy look at it in the am just to be sure. I'm sure there is no oil involved looking at this (whew!)

Rich

post-93329-0-64866800-1387421786_thumb.j

• Moderators

Looks good and you're welcome. I would still recommend a complete coolant change sometime if you still have original coolant from '99 though.

That is not the original coolant, the 1999 stuff would have been green. The pink stuff dates to 2004-05 introduction.

• Moderators

Ahsai / JFP,

thanks for your help on this and the other thread. I remember now the mechanic telling me the anti freeze was permanent and didn't need changed so that makes sense. Here is a shot of the liquid out of the tank and it's clear with no separation. I'll have my guy look at it in the am just to be sure. I'm sure there is no oil involved looking at this (whew!)

Rich

That looks fine, no signs of cloudiness or seperation.

Looks good and you're welcome. I would still recommend a complete coolant change sometime if you still have original coolant from '99 though.

That is not the original coolant, the 1999 stuff would have been green. The pink stuff dates to 2004-05 introduction.

Right and since his coolant is not pink, there may still be some old green coolant mixed in there. It's hard to tell how much though from the photo.

I use Green coolant because I can get it anywhere in the USA...which is good when there is a high risk of having road side problems, which is likely when you are me! LOL :jump:

I use it in all of my vehicles even though it is not on the "recommended" list. the only coolant I would strongly avoid is Dex-cool at this point.

• 1 year later...

It's ethylene gylcol, the same as everyone else specifies for their collant systems. Although others specifiy a 50/50 mix with water, which is just fine with GLACELF. You should be able to use anyone's coolant.

• Moderators

It's ethylene gylcol, the same as everyone else specifies for their collant systems. Although others specifiy a 50/50 mix with water, which is just fine with GLACELF. You should be able to use anyone's coolant.

Not really.  Porsche was an early adopter of the OAT technology, and has had a spotty history of not playing nice with some other brands of coolants, often resulting in gel formation in the cooling system.  You need to proceed cautiously when mixing coolants as the results can be very expensive to clean out. 

• Upvote 1

Not really.  Porsche was an early adopter of the OAT technology, and has had a spotty history of not playing nice with some other brands of coolants, often resulting in gel formation in the cooling system.  You need to proceed cautiously when mixing coolants as the results can be very expensive to clean out. 

When you go to the GLACELF website, it says that their product is monoethlyene glycol, which is the chemical makeup as Prestone and many others. What am I missing?

Edited by Okie996

• Admin

Finally, the real answer to the coolant issue: http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_5/Coolant_Antifreeze.html

This really is worth the read.

The "Porsche anti-freeze" issue has been here for discussion since 2003 - and WE HAVE ALWAYS SAID "Don’t mix different types of antifreeze."

I don't care who else has said that -- it still holds true.

I will close this topic now since the original posters question (in 2005) has been answered and no new information has been presented to change the answer here.

• Upvote 1

• 4 years later...

My coolant level is low. Add distilled water & drive? Flush system & replace entirely? I read everyone's mixed opinions above. i want a product that works and is safe for my 996. I don't really care what brand as long as I am not screwing up my engine. Can I Use this product - Yes? No? Hell No!? 6 gallons - right?

Thanks folks. I bought my 996 (1st Porsche) within the last month. I appreciate your help & guidance.

Screenshot 2019-05-31 at 2.17.56 PM.png

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Scott D Troy said:

My coolant level is low. Add distilled water & drive? Flush system & replace entirely? I read everyone's mixed opinions above. i want a product that works and is safe for my 996. I don't really care what brand as long as I am not screwing up my engine. Can I Use this product - Yes? No? Hell No!? 6 gallons - right?

Thanks folks. I bought my 996 (1st Porsche) within the last month. I appreciate your help & guidance.

Screenshot 2019-05-31 at 2.17.56 PM.png

Here is your problem:  Porsche coolant does not always play nice with some aftermarket formulation, resulting in a gelled cooling system which is a bear to clean out.  So, if you don't know what is in it, or how old it is, just use distilled water until you can drain and flush out the system.  Then you can use just about any product meant for alloy engines.

1) I  am surprised that you could drag up this old thread.  When Loren closes a thread it is closed and the debate is over.

2) You give no history of the car/year/previous work done (such as water pump, thermostat, or anything else), so it is difficult to make a recommendation.  You may have original Porsche coolant.  It will be green in color.  The new Porsche coolant is orange.  If mixed, it may appear slightly brownish.

3) I agree with JFP....add some distilled water at this point in time.  Do not add some other type of coolant because you don't know what is in there and you could have problems.

4) Porsche coolant for Porsche cars.  Don't go all cheap on this one.  When you get a chance, do a complete coolant flush and  refill with only Porsche coolant, 50/50 mix with distilled water.  Have the system flushed and vacuum refilled.  Due to the nature of flat six engines, if it is not done right hot spots can develop in the engine and major damage can result.  The heater core is higher than the rest of the system, so it is difficult to "burp" all of the air out of the system.  A vacuum  fill will insure that all of the air is removed when refilling.  If you are not up to the  task, best left to a professional.  Make sure you have the latest upgraded coolant cap ending in 04.  P/N is stamped on the cap.  The old ones leaked.

Edited by DBJoe996
  • Like 1