Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Retrofitting Litronic headlights and auto leveling

I've already swapped my headlights for Litronic ones and got Xenon low beams. Worked great with just a plain swap. The halogen high beams however was pretty poor stuff compared to my previous car with bi-xenons so I put a aftermarked HID-kit in the high beams. The "slim ballast"-kits were small enough to be able to fit inside the housing, worked great. I had a control module laying around so I ordered the harness off ebay and got the full functionality of the factory retrofit kit, with rotation on ignition and rotate up when you hit the high beams. So far, all good. I live in Norway and the bi-annual inspection is strict when it comes to Xenon headlights. To comply with regulations I must have headlight washers (got em), and automatic leveling. The rotation on ignition might fool the authorities but I'd rather not take any chances. So, to get automatic leveling I need some part numbers and some hints on cable routing. The control module is the same on retrofitted and original cars, but I haven't tried if it responds to the sensors without any hassle or if it wants a connection to the DME for it to work properly. The connection is easy, only three wires: Ground, +5V and sensor-data. But to the point:

* The connector that goes into the sensor, what's the part number? The sensor itself has 996 631 121 00.

* I've tried going through repair manuals, wiring diagrams and other documentation and haven't found out where the cables are routed. The front one is pretty easy I guess, but the rear one is a bit more of a challenge. Any tips on where / how to route the cable to the front would be appreciated. I guess I'm not so lucky that the harness has a part number and is readily available from Porsche?

• Moderators

The auto leveling sensors attach to the front and rear suspension and require an entire wiring harness of their own. To my knowledge, retrofitting auto leveling is neither for the faint of heart or wallet, which is why no one attempts it………….

• Upvote 1

Used sensors (complete with the linkages) cost around 40-50 bucks each. Then you need two connectors and some wire. If you tip 150 bucks you've bought beer on the way. And faint of heart? It isn't difficult at all to pull three wires from each drivers side wheel well to the front compartment. There will be some disassembly required to get them tucked in neatly, but it's just a few hours work. Sounds like no one has done this before, and that adds to the fun of it so I'll do it and report back. I need another sensor as DC Automotive sent just one, so it will be over easter before I can try. Probably just a test setup to check if the full functionality is enabled before I pull wires through the car. :)

Still need a part number for those connectors though. Any ideas?

Edited by Thklinge

• Moderators

The sensors and wiring are the easy bit, cars with the factory leveling system also can run diagnostics on the lights through the DME using PIWIS/PSTII, and there is at least one systems fault indicator (Code) for the leveling system alone, plus others for various functions’ in the lights; indicative of the system being routed and controlled through the car's computer system. How do you plan on making that connection and activating it?

Edited by JFP in PA

There are two extra wires when you compare the factory hid to the retrofit one: "DIAGNOSE" and "ESO". They are not hard to route to whichever destination they're suppose to have, although I haven't had the time to look it up yet. If that is necessary and that you have to somehow activate the module that will be a problem for the next day and probably a dealer or a Durametrics job. I do however believe that the Litronic module works fine standalone. If someone with factory xenons wish to help out, disconnect wire 9 and 11 from the Litronic module in the left side of the front compartment, start the car, move the suspension and see if the headlights adjust. Thanx! ;)

Edited by Thklinge

Is your car a C2, 99? Mine is... I did put OEM xenons as an upgrade, but they were plug and play just removing the old lights ... dunno if they self level but if they do, I can check it out if same car than yours. Let me know.

about the connector: I don't know the part number but I compared 99 and 04 schematics. Both indicate a 6 pin connector (only 3 wires used). The 04 wiring diagrams include a page with connectors and part numbers. I am attaching that. Perhaps you can get your hands on the sensor and look at the connector page and match them up.

about routing the wiring: the wiring diagrams indicate that wiring to the rear sensor routes to the rear (engine) wire loom via the X2/3 connection. I would locate the correct position for the sensor and just route the wires the best way I could figure out.

about the rear sensor location. On my 2000, I have holes in the suspension where the sensors mount (I added the lights to my car and thought about but haven't installed the sensors, so I kind of know your situation). My concern is that your car (according to your bio, is a 98.) It does not look like the 98 had the 601 option. You might not have the holes which is why you are having difficulty figuring this out.

about the diagnostic connection. I installed full power seats in my baby. when I did, I wired up the memory and mirror functions. for kicks I ran the diagnostic wire to the diag connector per the wiring schematic. Next time I connected my PST2, it recognized the seats and I could operate them via the PST2. A pleasant surprise.

I just occured to me as I reviewed this, that my front wire loom should have the connector you are looking for. I will try to take some time tomorrow and try to find it and share the part number with you.

good luck.

Glenn

04 996 connectors.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, excellent info Gator! Thanx a million! For historical reference: The connector that attaches to the sensors fore and aft is type B06A16, part number: 999.650.551.48. That part is impossible to find though. Not available at DC automotive, PelicanParts, teile.pl, Vertex Auto, Porscheshop.co.uk or design911.co.uk. Any ideas?

I got my other sensor today, I'll do a test later.

Ah, excellent info Gator! Thanx a million! For historical reference: The connector that attaches to the sensors fore and aft is type B06A16, part number: 999.650.551.48. That part is impossible to find though. Not available at DC automotive, PelicanParts, teile.pl, Vertex Auto, Porscheshop.co.uk or design911.co.uk. Any ideas?

I got my other sensor today, I'll do a test later.

Have your Porsche technician (not the parts guy) check his “Porsche Electrical Connector Repair Kit” for the connector. The entire repair kit is known as CARTOOL – Nr 96 0 000 or PNA 721 043 600. The kit is full of connectors the parts guy would like to sell you the entire wiring harness for.

Bill

• 1 year later...

Hello!

I am so happy to find this topic! I am looking for retrofitting auto leveling but it is really hard to find more information...

Thklinge did you finally succeed in it?

I will be so happy to do it also!

Thank you in advance for your help!

regards

Tybugale