Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Convertible top, different problems

Hi,

Two days ago I bought a 2000 996 Convertible. The seller said the top wouldn't go down, but with the help of searching this forum I managed to get it down, kind of....

The switch on the dashboard does not work, and when I push it the light in the instrument cluster flashes. Nothing happens. But, when I use the key in the door lock, the clam shell opens, windows go down, and the forward lock opens. but, the top itself it not moving and there is no sound from the hydraulic motor. I can lower the top manually, and then complete the clamshell going down with the key in the drivers door lock.

Then it works the other way around too, exept the dashboard switch does not work, and I have to close the actual top manually.

So, any idea where to start looking for problems? I figured it can't be the oil level, because then I should be able to hear the motor. Can the motor (or maybe I should call it pump?) be broken? And why does not the switch work?

Thanks,

Johan

Hi,

Go to the DIY Section, there's a whole section on Cabriolet tops. I regularly add hydraulic oil to mine, to ensure it is adequately topped up, but the fact the dashboard panel is flashing indicates you have an electrical issue that you should take to a dealer or independent. It's actually a fairly simple set of mechanics, all in all, so if the motor is dead someone can tell you. Also, the way the mechanism works, each 'step' in the open and close process gets its cue from the previous completing, so if one of the early steps is failling the mechanism with fail. If I was you, and take this for what it's worth, I'd find a good local indie with cab top experience, as he'll keep you out of the exhorbitant diagnosis costs of a dealer.

Hope this helps.

-Alf

• 1 month later...

Johan,

My 2000 just started doing the same thing. I had a problem with the hydraulic pump earlier this year. I filled the reservoir and then it worked fine. Now the switch on the dash causes the light to flash and the top doesn't actuate. The top works fine using the key in the door. I tried pulling the fuse but nothing changed. When I have some time I'll try removing the dash switch and checking it. Did you get anywhere on yours? It seems to me it's either the dash switch or the controller.

Gene

I was unable to diagnose the problem, but after a week or so the controller fixed itself.

Gene (Hawk996)

Johan,

My 2000 just started doing the same thing. I had a problem with the hydraulic pump earlier this year. I filled the reservoir and then it worked fine. Now the switch on the dash causes the light to flash and the top doesn't actuate. The top works fine using the key in the door. I tried pulling the fuse but nothing changed. When I have some time I'll try removing the dash switch and checking it. Did you get anywhere on yours? It seems to me it's either the dash switch or the controller.

Gene

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply guys! I have a bunch of other problems with the car right now, so I haven't really had the time to fix this.

Is the e brake switch the same for convertible as for coupé? I have one of these in the garage already....

Does the hydraulic motor make any sound when the oil level is low? Or is it disconnected by a oil level switch?

Thanks,

Johan

When my level dropped, I could hear the motor working but the top would go up and down very slowly. Within a few times using the convertible, I would no longer hear the motor working once the clam shell got into the correct position. After adding hydraulic fluid, everything worked perfectly.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

So, I have spent some time occasionally to fix my convertible top. I have had all kinds of problems, due to PO's neglect. So far I have fixed

1. Repaired broken convertible top frame, the support for the rearmost part was broken on both sides.

2. Swapped out both hydraulic cylinders due to bad leaks.

3. Fixed the window frame lock microswitch with the superglued 2 mm plastic part fix.

So now I basically only have one problem left, that actually is a new problem; When opening the top, it stops several times on its way back to the folded position. When it is all the way back, when the clam shell should close, it doesnt. The hydraulic pump for the top seems to try and fold the top even more, like there is a micro switch that cant feel that the top is folded. This was no problem before, when I lovered it manually the clam shell closed, and so did the side flaps. Fluid level is ok.

Anyone who has an idea where I should look?

Thanks,

Johan

Found the problem! Just missed to attach the microswitch attached to the left side cylinder. So, FINALLY the tops works as it is supposed to do.....

Almost. The fabric ends up outside the frame on the left side. Not all the way, just couple of inches. I will use the search function to find info on that one!

Thanks,

Johan

For the fabric not lining up, check my recent posts on the topic. You may have a replacement top, the GAHH ones have a spring in a pocket in the fabric itself, if it gets stuck the fabric would fold and fall correctly to align with the frames.

• 3 years later...

I have followed all instructions for topping off the hydraulic fluid reservoir and have plug, and copper washer, removed. When I inserted the small diameter hose it seemed to be blocked by something and fluid would not go in. I then made a small probe out of wire, inserted it into the hole and there is definitely something in the way. Any ideas?

• 6 months later...

Thanks for all the help that saved me untold hundreds of dollars.

I recently traded my 2000 Boxster for a 2001 911 Carrera with a top that wasn't working very well, but everything Else was like new and I couldn't pass up the deal. After reading a few posts here on possible repairs, I pulled out the rear deck and found an empty hydro reservoir. I know some have used syringes with flex tube, but I found an oiling can at Ace Hardware for under $6 with a flexible hose that worked great. After taking two nuts off to release the cylinder bracket, I had plenty of room to get at the fill plug. I filled it up and the top worked great but had a "bubbling" noise. Checking the reservoir, I found it nearly empty again. Once more with the oil can and it's full. I found no evidence of leaks anywhere, but I will check it again in a couple of weeks. I got lucky twice. I found this site and I didn't have to go to the dealer.

Thanks again.

• Moderators

Thanks for all the help that saved me untold hundreds of dollars.

I recently traded my 2000 Boxster for a 2001 911 Carrera with a top that wasn't working very well, but everything Else was like new and I couldn't pass up the deal. After reading a few posts here on possible repairs, I pulled out the rear deck and found an empty hydro reservoir. I know some have used syringes with flex tube, but I found an oiling can at Ace Hardware for under $6 with a flexible hose that worked great. After taking two nuts off to release the cylinder bracket, I had plenty of room to get at the fill plug. I filled it up and the top worked great but had a "bubbling" noise. Checking the reservoir, I found it nearly empty again. Once more with the oil can and it's full. I found no evidence of leaks anywhere, but I will check it again in a couple of weeks. I got lucky twice. I found this site and I didn't have to go to the dealer.

Thanks again.

Welcome to RennTech :welcome:  If the site has already saved you money, consider becoming a contributing member.